Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

I received my Now Playing email for July, and while I will dearly miss the printed version, I can adjust to the email version. I like having the information available to me wherever I am, I will likely read more of the articles in this format, and I like that there are links to a monthly schedule and At a Glance. I would love to have a link to the alphabetical listing that is in the back of the printed guide, I refer to this several times during the month and also use it as a great reference for previous months. And if there is a way to have the crossword puzzle formatted to fill in electronically, I would enjoy that each month. I just don't see me printing it out each month.

• Like 1

I just received the NOW PLAYING NEWSLETTER in my email inbox with a photo of a dour Ben Mankiewcz. You have to click a link to "schedule" or download "at a glance" overview.

It contains links for SOTM, specials (in this case 4th of July movies), Ben's & Scorsese's "picks", "Film Comment magazine's "picks" and Baclot Member "spotlight" (groan)

When you click "AT A GLANCE" you get the highlights of the month with the P for premieres!

Then, "Here's your crossword!" Really? Like I can fill in a crossword on my computer? No, I have to print it out myself. I can just imagine how fun THAT is if you receive your email on your phone.

I don't know about you, but I gave up having a home printer long ago. It's much more efficient to send data to a real brick/mortar printer and pick it up later. Kind of takes the fun out of having a crossword on the back page of a magazine.

Haha, every link will first connect to "manage.com/track/click" so much for BigMovieBrother watching you.

What about accessing the Movie Listings (monthly schedule), the main body of current NPG?  It's about 21 pages in printed version, which is about 5.5" by 8.5" in size.   TCM could easily format to print two pages per standard 8.5 x 11 paper.  Remove all the pictures in current version and could do whole thing on 6-8 pages of paper.

I had a little free time, so I thought I'd remove formatting from the online Monthly schedule, just as a Lorem Ipsum type of experiment.  This is the absolute smallest July's schedule could possibly be, preserving all content and filling all spaces.  Obviously this is completely useless and wouldn't work out for anybody, but the point of this is to do a Print Preview on this and show the minimum pieces of paper it could possibly take (including your printer's size reduction).  Any usable version of the schedule is going to be at least a little larger than this to account for carriage returns between entries and so forth, but probably nowhere near as many pieces of paper as what you guys need to use now.  What you're really up against here is wasted space.

http://moviecollector.us/tmp/example-schedule-with-all-formatting-removed.html

• Like 1

I just received the NOW PLAYING NEWSLETTER in my email inbox with a photo of a dour Ben Mankiewcz. You have to click a link to "schedule" or download "at a glance" overview.

It contains links for SOTM, specials (in this case 4th of July movies), Ben's & Scorsese's "picks", "Film Comment magazine's "picks" and Baclot Member "spotlight" (groan)

When you click "AT A GLANCE" you get the highlights of the month with the P for premieres!

Then, "Here's your crossword!" Really? Like I can fill in a crossword on my computer? No, I have to print it out myself. I can just imagine how fun THAT is if you receive your email on your phone.

I don't know about you, but I gave up having a home printer long ago. It's much more efficient to send data to a real brick/mortar printer and pick it up later. Kind of takes the fun out of having a crossword on the back page of a magazine.

Haha, every link will first connect to "manage.com/track/click" so much for BigMovieBrother watching you.

Sounds like a complicated MESS!

:(:rolleyes:

I sent another email to TCM and did NOT select Now Playing Guide as subject.  However, I did mention it in small case in the body.  I made a suggestion on how they might improve the formating of the Monthly Schedule for printing.

ZAP!!!  Got an email from TCM on how to subscribe to the Now Playing Guide.  Send $12 to Palm Coast FL address and in 6-12 weeks you will receive your first issue.

The Cid:  sent another email to TCM (snipped) made a suggestion 

ZAP!!!  

Got an email from TCM on how to subscribe to the Now Playing Guide.

There's "internet commerce" for ya.

This is just the new way for corporations to ignore their customers. They won't hire employees, they think computers will do the job. 

Simple mistakes will be the norm.

Rectifying them will be a struggle.

• Like 2

The Cid:  sent another email to TCM (snipped) made a suggestion 

ZAP!!!  

Got an email from TCM on how to subscribe to the Now Playing Guide.

There's "internet commerce" for ya.

This is just the new way for corporations to ignore their customers. They won't hire employees, they think computers will do the job. 

Simple mistakes will be the norm.

Rectifying them will be a struggle.

Neither here nor there but many people are more selective shoppers nowadays, just because they can, coupled with people being more frugal now, and things like this can happen.  Now I'm not disparaging anyone.  In some cases computers can make mistakes more obvious, it just depends.  Overall people are losing sight of how to think for themselves, can't do without their smart phones, etc.  Kind of like a baby's pacifier.

I was just up at the lake for a few days, enjoying watching some rain showers on the lake and yes getting ahead in one of my projects.  No Internet connection though.  If I didn't bring it with me, I couldn't work on it.  TBH, that was pretty nice for a few days.  Ok, back to the grind. 

When are they going to send the final August issue out?  I usually get mine early in July but haven't yet.

For what it's worth PA, I still have not received the Now Playing guide for August.  (Haven't received the e-mail version either.)

I hope TCM can get back to a ~3 week advanced view of the schedule once things with the newsletter have settled.  (I realize that the on-line monthly schedule is available, but I like to look over the upcoming premieres, themes, etc.)

For what it's worth PA, I still have not received the Now Playing guide for August.  (Haven't received the e-mail version either.)

I hope TCM can get back to a ~3 week advanced view of the schedule once things with the newsletter have settled.  (I realize that the on-line monthly schedule is available, but I like to look over the upcoming premieres, themes, etc.)

Thanks.  I've been a subscriber for 15 years and have saved every issue.  I hope I get it today.

• Like 1

Oddly enough I received mine today!  It's labeled as Final Issue.  I believe I have every issue now.

I'll miss it as I like to have a hard copy to refer to.

Onward and Upward!  Thanks TCM for a great 20 year run!

Yancey

Received my final issue today and my thanks to TCM as well.

It really is a shame that all periodical publishing as we know it is vanishing.  Coming generations will not be able to appreciate the joy of actually holding a beautifully written and illustrated magazine in your hands.  Digital is just not the same.

• Like 1

Received my final issue today and my thanks to TCM as well.

It really is a shame that all periodical publishing as we know it is vanishing.  Coming generations will not be able to appreciate the joy of actually holding a beautifully written and illustrated magazine in your hands.  Digital is just not the same.

Received my final issue yesterday (finally).  For once looks like SUTS will be a decent month.

Whenever I go grocery shopping I check out the magazine racks, which are getting smaller.  In my area, there are about four auto magazines, 10 or so women's fashion ones, several fitness ones, several home type ones, etc.  But always 15-20 gun/hunting related magazines.

Not only can you hold a magzine (or book), but you can make notes in it, keep it, refer back to it in the future, etc.  In addition, the quality of the pictures is far superior to anything available on a screen.

Daily newspapers are also an endangered species.

• Like 1

The August cover is probably already done  but it should have all the past covers in miniature, thumbnail size  that can fit.

Many years ago, Playboy had a fold-out inside with all the previous covers in miniture size.  I think it was 20th or 25th anniversary.  They also had a fold-out with miniture picutues of the centerfolds.

Received my final issue yesterday (finally).  For once looks like SUTS will be a decent month.

Whenever I go grocery shopping I check out the magazine racks, which are getting smaller.  In my area, there are about four auto magazines, 10 or so women's fashion ones, several fitness ones, several home type ones, etc.  But always 15-20 gun/hunting related magazines.

Not only can you hold a magzine (or book), but you can make notes in it, keep it, refer back to it in the future, etc.  In addition, the quality of the pictures is far superior to anything available on a screen.

Daily newspapers are also an endangered species.

Who needs newspapers for people who can't read?

• 5 weeks later...

HELP!!

I certainly can find the LIST of September movies (http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-9-01) even though the header hasn't been updated and still says "August".

Does anyone know why some titles on this listing page are bold, while others in regular type?

And from searching this site, I found BartonKeys' posting of SOTM Jennifer Jones listed movies. (thank you) But I do not have a clue which movies in the general month's listing are spotlighted, their categories (ie "women in prison" or "child stars") or most importantly, which movies are "premieres".

I go through the upcoming month's listings to decide what to watch & what to record, since I don't want to miss anything of note.

TCM emails me a "newsletter" around the first of the month-TOO LATE FOLKS! 

Nothing on the website links to upcoming highlights, just the current month.

At least I think so, maybe someone here can help me navigate to where the upcoming month's specifics may be on this site?

• Like 1

HELP!!

I certainly can find the LIST of September movies (http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-9-01) even though the header hasn't been updated and still says "August".

Does anyone know why some titles on this listing page are bold, while others in regular type?

And from searching this site, I found BartonKeys' posting of SOTM Jennifer Jones listed movies. (thank you) But I do not have a clue which movies in the general month's listing are spotlighted, their categories (ie "women in prison" or "child stars") or most importantly, which movies are "premieres".

I go through the upcoming month's listings to decide what to watch & what to record, since I don't want to miss anything of note.

TCM emails me a "newsletter" around the first of the month-TOO LATE FOLKS! 

Nothing on the website links to upcoming highlights, just the current month.

At least I think so, maybe someone here can help me navigate to where the upcoming month's specifics may be on this site?

Hi Tikisoo.  I took a look at the schedule you linked to.  The header is just static.  It is irrelevant in context of whatever monthly page you are looking at. 

The bold entries are also irrelevant, they just alternate on every other entry.  At this point it is definitely just for looks.

For the time being...the address bar at the top of the browser will still have the website address you clicked on or entered into it.  You could further cross-check your month by looking on the schedule for what day of the week the first of the month falls on.  Then look at an actual calendar to verify (ie. Aug 1 2017 = Tues; Sept 1 2017 = Fri, etc.  Ergo, "On this schedule I see the 1st happens on a Friday, ahh yes it is September.").  Not always bulletproof, as Sept 1 and Dec 1 both fall on a Fri, but at least plausible when considering the surrounding months.

I agree the newsletter should be sent out in advance, then they could send updates or fixes to that afterwards.  Emails are free.  They are still a new idea.

• Like 2

I agree the newsletter should be sent out in advance, then they could send updates or fixes to that afterwards.  Emails are free.  They are still a new idea.

Does anyone have a link to September's newsletter? Or to September's Now Playing Guide? 

The September newsletter will not be sent out until the first of the month.

Phooey!!  The first of the month is much too late to send out the Now Playing newsletter.

I subscribed for many years to the "real" Now Playing, which was always delivered 2-3 weeks before the month started.  This allowed me plenty of time to review the guide and highlight the movies I especially wanted to see or record.  Thereafter, I'd look at the guide each day to see which highlighted movies were coming up.  I rarely missed a movie that I really wanted to see.

It wouldn't cost anything more to send out the guide a bit early.  It would allow nuts like me to plan ahead, and would serve to build anticipation for the month's programming.

TCM:  Please consider earlier transmission of the newsletter!

• Like 3