Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

Would be better to e-mail them directly. Doubt any higher ups read these boards...

I have emailed TCM via the contact us link at tcm.com several times on various issues, this being one of them.

NO RESPONSE EVER.

I wrote the CEO an actual letter about two months ago.  No response!

7:12 PM - just sent another email to tcm.com contact us re: email version.  Also signed up for the email version again.  You would think by this point in time, they would at least send out a test email to those who subscribed.

• Like 1

I have emailed TCM via the contact us link at tcm.com several times on various issues, this being one of them.

NO RESPONSE EVER.

I wrote the CEO an actual letter about two months ago.  No response!

7:12 PM - just sent another email to tcm.com contact us re: email version.  Also signed up for the email version again.  You would think by this point in time, they would at least send out a test email to those who subscribed.

It's unfortunate, but just about the only way to get anyone's attention in corporations these days is to post something for all to see on their Twitter or Facebook account.  I'm not a fan of any of these, and I suspect you aren't either.  So unless someone else who actually does have an account like this wants to play along, those options are probably off the table.

• Like 2

My wife used to subscribe to the TCM mailed schedule booklet.

Has anyone here received a refund yet for their remaining balance that they paid for?

Also has anyone received the emailed version of the schedule yet?

And is the September schedule up anywhere on this site yet? I have never much explored this site but don't see it in the regular schedule part. Thanks for any help.

It gets worse.  Couple of days ago I went to tcm.com, clicked on contact us at bottom of home screen, clicked on contact us on next screen, then selected General Comments from Categories.

Then explained I was contacting them about the new email NPG format, when it should be sent out, etc.

This morning I had the long existing standard response on how to subscribe to the print edition via Palm Coast FL address.

So, I called the number listed and spoke to someone at TCM.  

She recommended I access TCM.com/NowPlayingemail. Note: the N and P have to be in caps or it defaults to tcm.com home page.  

This is actually the standard sign up page we have been using for couple of months now.

I tried to explain that my complaint today was about the fact that I was trying to make recommendations for the the new email version.  Also, that comments under General Comments should not be defaulting to old NPG print subscription.  They have a problem with whoever (whatever) is reading the comments.  She informed me that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of people and suggested I write a letter.  Told her I wrote the CEO two months ago and he never responded.

I mentioned that if same format as current monthly schedule, it takes 23 pages to print it.  Her response was basically that it is free and I don't have to print it if I don't want to.

They are probably as frustrated as we are, but still.

Address for letters to TCM:  (Mine is on its way.)

TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

My wife used to subscribe to the TCM mailed schedule booklet.

Has anyone here received a refund yet for their remaining balance that they paid for?

Also has anyone received the emailed version of the schedule yet?

And is the September schedule up anywhere on this site yet? I have never much explored this site but don't see it in the regular schedule part. Thanks for any help.

Regarding the Now Playing email newsletter, if you have subscribed to it but have not yet received it in your inbox, try checking your spam folder.  

The September schedule is available at: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-09-01. To view schedules for October and November, simply adjust the date at the end of the link as appropriate (i.e. 2017-10-01, 2017-11-01). TCM usually posts monthly schedules three months in advance of any given month, so the December schedule should be available sometime in September.

It gets worse.  Couple of days ago I went to tcm.com, clicked on contact us at bottom of home screen, clicked on contact us on next screen, then selected General Comments from Categories.

Then explained I was contacting them about the new email NPG format, when it should be sent out, etc.

This morning I had the long existing standard response on how to subscribe to the print edition via Palm Coast FL address.

So, I called the number listed and spoke to someone at TCM.  

She recommended I access TCM.com/NowPlayingemail. Note: the N and P have to be in caps or it defaults to tcm.com home page.  

This is actually the standard sign up page we have been using for couple of months now.

I tried to explain that my complaint today was about the fact that I was trying to make recommendations for the the new email version.  Also, that comments under General Comments should not be defaulting to old NPG print subscription.  They have a problem with whoever (whatever) is reading the comments.  She informed me that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of people and suggested I write a letter.  Told her I wrote the CEO two months ago and he never responded.

I mentioned that if same format as current monthly schedule, it takes 23 pages to print it.  Her response was basically that it is free and I don't have to print it if I don't want to.

They are probably as frustrated as we are, but still.

Address for letters to TCM:

TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

I find this attitude strange but thanks for responding to my questions and issues, TheCid. The reason I find this attitude strange is that they are not just giving out freebies to people who are not paying money to watch their channel on cable. For one to want a schedule to make it possible to know what is playing on TCM, a person would expect TCM to facilitate the viewer who wants their channel to succeed on cable and is willing to fork over money for this to happen. It is hard to understand why the channel would have a laissez-faire attitude toward viewers who I would assume are keeping them in business. One could blame this purely on the one person you spoke to who perhaps is not totally representing TCM's position toward their viewing market but one would also think they would have people on the staff who are responsive to customers [and anyone paying to watch TCM is a valid customer for sure] and their complaints or issues. If I can't get a schedule that shows what is playing on TCM I will begin to wonder if the TCM hierarchy even cares about its viewers.

• Like 2

Regarding the Now Playing email newsletter, if you have subscribed to it but have not yet received it in your inbox, try checking your spam folder.  

The September schedule is available at: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-09-01. To view schedules for October and November, simply adjust the date at the end of the link as appropriate (i.e. 2017-10-01, 2017-11-01). TCM usually posts monthly schedules three months in advance of any given month, so the December schedule should be available sometime in September.

Thanks, I shall try this and I appreciate your response.

My understanding is that it will only be emailed after your print subscription expires.  Mine expires in the future, so per their information, my email version will not be sent until Sep. 1.  I always check my spam folder, but it has not shown up there either.

I copied your link and used it, but it only goes through Oct. 24.  This is the same schedule I get if I go to tcm.com and click on Full Schedule, select weekly or monthly and then adjust the calendar, correct?

I just went to tcm.com and clicked on monthly schedule and got the Now Playing Guide for August, but I think this has been around a few weeks.  It is printable, but takes a lot of paper to do it-28 pages.  That is 28 8.5 X 11 compared to only 22 for the much smaller NPG printed version, which includes pictures on many pages.

I copied your link and used it, but it only goes through Oct. 24.  This is the same schedule I get if I go to tcm.com and click on Full Schedule, select weekly or monthly and then adjust the calendar, correct?

This isn't really documented anywhere, so just save this somewhere so you can avoid pulling your hair out. 

Date format = YYYY-MM-DD.  Adjust month or day to suit.  For Monthly schedule just change the month, for Weekly adjust the month and day.

Daily Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

Weekly Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

Monthly Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

P.S.  Between the Daily and Weekly, the Daily (default "Full Schedule") is flawed and has obvious glitches whenever they change something.  Sometimes those changes never properly show up in the Daily schedule.  I do not recommend using the Daily schedule.  Instead I recommend bookmarking and using the Weekly:

tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html

The Weekly always seems to be correct.  And soon afterwards, so is the Monthly.

Clear as mud. ;)

• Like 2

This isn't really documented anywhere, so just save this somewhere so you can avoid pulling your hair out. 

Date format = YYYY-MM-DD.  Adjust month or day to suit.  For Monthly schedule just change the month, for Weekly adjust the month and day.

Daily Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

Weekly Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

Monthly Schedule URL format:

tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-08-01

Thanks, I tried those and it brings up the schedules from tcm.com.  Tried to change the dates/months, etc. per your advice, but it won't let me.

Interestingly, when I go to the monthly using above URL, it brings up the new Now Playing Movie Listings.  Same as if you click on monthly on the tcm.com website.

Also, when I tried to change the month the old way, by advancing the pop-up calendar, it doesn't change the display.  Must be broke.

Thanks, I tried those and it brings up the schedules from tcm.com.  Tried to change the dates/months, etc. per your advice, but it won't let me.

Interestingly, when I go to the monthly using above URL, it brings up the new Now Playing Movie Listings.  Same as if you click on monthly on the tcm.com website.

Also, when I tried to change the month the old way, by advancing the pop-up calendar, it doesn't change the display.  Must be broke.

Try changing those dates in a text editor first.  There might be something silly happening with your browser.

P.S. The ad banner at the top of the "Now Playing" (Monthly) page now only displays the current month, even if you are looking at a future month. 

They really shouldn't have removed the real name of the month from the Monthly page, it is causing all sorts of confusion.  (ie. if it is August and you are looking ahead at the October Monthly page, then it should say October somewhere...) So now the Monthly page is the "Now Playing" page.  One step forward, two steps back.

• Like 1

The SCHEDULES have always been easy to access months in advance.

My beef is that I can't read the stories, see "premieres" or "spotlights" either by list or icon. It used to be easy to skim over what might be different from the same old movies on the schedule by icons or articles.

Phooey is right.

• Like 2

The SCHEDULES have always been easy to access months in advance.

My beef is that I can't read the stories, see "premieres" or "spotlights" either by list or icon. It used to be easy to skim over what might be different from the same old movies on the schedule by icons or articles.

Phooey is right.

I'm not familiar with what some of you were looking at before.  Bear in mind I do my own thing with the schedules, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to these other things.  Are you saying the "premieres" or "spotlights" are completely gone now?

I'm not familiar with what some of you were looking at before.  Bear in mind I do my own thing with the schedules, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to these other things.  Are you saying the "premieres" or "spotlights" are completely gone now?

In the Now Playing magazine, the daytime programming themes, premieres, and spotlight movies for the month were typically listed in a front section called 'At A Glance'.  To my knowledge, the equivalent information has so far not been readily available online.  The first newsletter that TCM posted for August included a link to a pdf of the 'At A Glance' section that had been printed in the August issue of the magazine (the final issue).  So this was the first 'online' version of this info that had been sent out.

My hope was that TCM would continue to create the 'At A Glance' section in upcoming newsletters.  Since the September newsletter hasn't been sent yet, we still don't know if that section will continue or not.  In the meantime, all we can do is try to collect this information on our own by studying and interpreting the online monthly schedule.  That's another reason why I appreciate the work you do to determine what the upcoming premieres are!

[ Author's note:  I remember now that the Now Playing magazine for August and the August newsletter did not have an 'At A Glance' section because of the Summer Under the Stars focus.  The 'At A Glance' PDF section that was mailed out was for the July newsletter and schedule. ]

• Like 2

In the Now Playing magazine, the daytime programming themes, premieres, and spotlight movies for the month were typically listed in a front section called 'At A Glance'.  To my knowledge, the equivalent information has so far not been readily available online.  The first newsletter that TCM posted for August included a link to a pdf of the 'At A Glance' section that had been printed in the August issue of the magazine (the final issue).  So this was the first 'online' version of this info that had been sent out.

My hope was that TCM would continue to create the 'At A Glance' section in upcoming newsletters.  Since the September newsletter hasn't been sent yet, we still don't know if that section will continue or not.  In the meantime, all we can do is try to collect this information on our own by studying and interpreting the online monthly schedule.  That's another reason why I appreciate the work you do to determine what the upcoming premieres are!

Okay.  It sounds like some of this stuff wasn't online to begin with then.  So bringing it online would be part of the transformation, be it in the privately emailed PDF files or the publicly available website schedules.

As far as my project goes, the roughest parts are behind me.  It is easy enough for me to keep it going, so no worries.

• Like 2

For what it's worth.....

w/o my print edition (which ended this month) , I can no longer continue the TCM PREMIERES announcement thread.

(Unless, like THIS month, I can print a list like 'cmovieviewer' & 'MovieCollectorOH' so generously provided me)

:unsure:

For what it's worth.....

w/o my print edition (which ended this month) , I can no longer continue the TCM PREMIERES announcement thread.

(Unless, like THIS month, I can print a list like 'cmovieviewer' & 'MovieCollectorOH' so generously provided me)

:unsure:

mr6666,

Like you, I didn't want to miss any September premieres while waiting on the newsletter, so I put together a list based on MCOH's data.  Please refer to the 'TCM Premieres' thread.

Hi guys. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, nothing different on my end whatsoever.  Feel free, that's what it's there for.

• Like 1

Hi guys. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, nothing different on my end whatsoever.  Feel free, that's what it's there for.

Thanks for what you have done and hopefully will continue to do.  

What is the title of the thread and is it under General Discussions?   Thanks,

Thanks for what you have done and hopefully will continue to do.  

What is the title of the thread and is it under General Discussions?   Thanks,

Hi, you're welcome.  The premieres are in Mr. 6666's TCM Premieres thread.  If you want you can click on the link below in my signature area for other things related to the scheduling.

Hi, you're welcome.  The premieres are in Mr. 6666's TCM Premieres thread.  If you want you can click on the link below in my signature area for other things related to the scheduling.

Finally figured out that if I click on Daily or Weekly and then move the calendar to next month and click on 1st day (or any day), it brings up that day or week in the next month.

Unfortunately when you expand for descriptions, it may also open up a Leonard Maltin review that is longer than the movie description AND an ad for buying the DVD.

The monthly calendar is still the Now Playing one for August and can't figure out how to change that.

Finally figured out that if I click on Daily or Weekly and then move the calendar to next month and click on 1st day (or any day), it brings up that day or week in the next month.

Unfortunately when you expand for descriptions, it may also open up a Leonard Maltin review that is longer than the movie description AND an ad for buying the DVD.

The monthly calendar is still the Now Playing one for August and can't figure out how to change that.

You can see the monthly schedule for September by going to

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/september2017.html

Change 'september' to 'october' etc. to see the next month (when it's ready).  TCM usually has an extra month or so available in this fashion.  (Just ignore the Summer Under the Stars banner.  The picture stays the same until TCM changes it.)

Let's approach this from a different angle.  Click on each of these links and look at the first three movies for each one.  Notice each link brings up a different set of movies.

August

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-08-01

September

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-09-01

October

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-10-01

November

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-11-01

Let's approach this from a different angle.  Click on each of these links and look at the first three movies for each one.  Notice each link brings up a different set of movies.

August

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-08-01

September

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-09-01

October

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-10-01

November

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2017-11-01

Agreed that those work, but I cannot access those links through the tcm.com schedules.  When I click on monthly at tcm.com, it brings up August and there is no way to make it change.

How would I save the link you use to get to a changeable monthly schedule?  I did copy one of them to my browser and then changed the month and it worked.  Is that how to do it?

Sorry to be such a pain, but this really has become quite confusing and I forsee problems with the NPG email versions.

Agreed that those work, but I cannot access those links through the tcm.com schedules.  When I click on monthly at tcm.com, it brings up August and there is no way to make it change.

No, there is no way to change it from there.  The TCM website's menu link for the current month can not be substituted to a different month by hand as we are talking about here, it is a single-ended URL that only works on the current month.  A shortcoming of the website.  [i think this alone is probably the answer you were looking for.]

How would I save the link you use to get to a changeable monthly schedule?

There is no such thing as a "changeable" monthly schedule.  The monthly schedule has no menu or links to get to future months.  You can only view the current month (ie. the month of August during the month of August) using the menus and links on their website. 

Due to a different URL format that future months use (which is nowhere to be found on their website), all future months need to be entered by hand (or copied and pasted in from a text document), exactly as shown.

I did copy one of them to my browser and then changed the month and it worked.  Is that how to do it?

Yes.  You would need to manually copy and paste it into your browser and then change it by hand like that every single time.  I save mine to a text document on my computer, using a text editor, and change it from there. 

Sorry to be such a pain, but this really has become quite confusing and I forsee problems with the NPG email versions.

Not at all.  I just wanted to make sure it all worked out for you.  It seemed to be a simple misunderstanding, but I just didn't know where.