Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

No, there is no way to change it from there.  The TCM website link for the current month can not be substituted to a different month by hand as we are talking about here, it is a single-ended URL that only works on the current month.  A shortcoming of the website.

There is no such thing as a "changeable" monthly schedule.  The monthly schedule has no menu or links to get to future months.  You can only view the current month (ie. the month of August during the month of August) using the menus and links on their website. 

Due to a different URL format that future months use (which is nowhere to be found on their website), all future months need to be entered by hand (or copied and pasted in from a text document), exactly as shown.

Yes.  You would need to manually copy and paste it into your browser and then change it by hand like that every single time.  I save mine in a text document and change it from there. 

Not at all.  I just wanted to make sure it all worked out for you.  It seemed to be a simple misunderstanding, but I just didn't know where.

Thanks again.  I think I have it.  I saved it as a favorite site.  Not sure what a text document is.  You would think TCM could make it simpler, but then again - it's free (sort of).

Great!! :D

Just went to see what printed version would look like and then to see if I could manipulate printing. When I viewed the print version before even trying anything, the names of the director and stars were absent.  Tried it both ways - same result.  It may be because they are light blue one month and light gray on another rather than black?  I checked my printer dialogue box and it shows color selected.

Just went to see what printed version would look like and then to see if I could manipulate printing. When I viewed the print version before even trying anything, the names of the director and stars were absent.  Tried it both ways - same result.  It may be because they are light blue one month and light gray on another rather than black?  I checked my printer dialogue box and it shows color selected.

Maybe try setting it to B&W?  If that happened to work, it would also be cheaper.

Do any of you have any of the now playing guides that date back to the early Cable TV days of TCM that you could try and find a film that aired on there back then that I've been trying to find for years?

So, about 10 to 15 years ago (maybe even longer) on TCM I saw an old 30's or 40's horror movie and have been trying to figure out the title ever since, so I could possibly find the movie.  It was introduced by the late great Robert Osborne and it was about a man and woman who are in love, but the woman's father or uncle is jealous of them and orders his henchman to kill the man. The way I remember it, the father or uncle guy lives in a creepy tower like castle with a spiral stairway similar to the one's seen in Universal's Frankenstein and Dracula, and the man is attacked by the henchman and thrown from the castle (either from the roof or a window, I can't recall) and into the water surrounding the old place. The woman tries to confront her father or uncle about the disappearance of her boyfriend on the stairway, but he hypnotizes her to forget about him and stay there with him. The boyfriend doesn't die though and floats down a river (or something) and is found by a male gypsy who nurses him back to health. The hero and the gypsy became good friends and when he mentioned his plot to get revenge on the man that tried to have him killed, the gypsy tried to talk him out of it with some talk about revenge not always being the right way to go. The gypsy was just trying to get his carriage back with the rest of his fellow gypsies and asks the hero to forget about his revenge and come with him, but he couldn't sway him. So, he helps the hero get back the castle/tower and they part ways. While the hero returns to the castle to confront the evil father or uncle.

Can anyone help me identify this film?

Maybe try setting it to B&W?  If that happened to work, it would also be cheaper.

Tried both B&W and color.  Same result.  I almost never use color as the damn cartridges cost so much.

Do any of you have any of the now playing guides that date back to the early Cable TV days of TCM that you could try and find a film that aired on there back then that I've been trying to find for years?

Can anyone help me identify this film?

I have most of it from the earliest years.  I'll see if I can find anything.

• Thanks 1

Tried both B&W and color.  Same result.  I almost never use color as the damn cartridges cost so much.

My printer is just an inexpensive Canon Pixma from Walmart.  I got it because it is compatible with my operating system.  I'd have to plug it in but I seem to recall it having at least two different B&W print settings.  One includes half-tones and semi-tones, and the other blanks them out (perhaps useful for removing marks and smudges from scanned in documents??).  Not sure, maybe yours thinks the lighter colored text is unwanted, and maybe that is something that can be disabled.

My printer is just an inexpensive Canon Pixma from Walmart.  I got it because it is compatible with my operating system.  I'd have to plug it in but I seem to recall it having at least two different B&W print settings.  One includes half-tones and semi-tones, and the other blanks them out (perhaps useful for removing marks and smudges from scanned in documents??).  Not sure, maybe yours thinks the lighter colored text is unwanted, and maybe that is something that can be disabled.

Thanks, will try that.

My printer is just an inexpensive Canon Pixma from Walmart. 

We purchased one of those recently! It was a choice between: $46 for black ink cartridge for existing printer or: $44 for new printer. We like it very much as it is faster and quieter than previous ink jet printer and the print quality is quite nice. We use ink jet only when we want quick printing and do not need very fine detail of laser as it is faster than laser when printing less than four pages. 

I do not know why many people appear to be ashamed of buying electronics at Wal-Mart. Ink jet printers and many other such things are virtually consumables and so buying at the proper price point is important. Many items which they sell are full-model units such as one would purchase at any place and are not made-for-Wal-Mart sub-models. Our Roku is precisely the same as if we purchased it directly from Roku and was $22 less expensive than at any electronics store in the area. We have a model-made-for-Wal-Mart television in the workroom. It was 30% cheaper than similar-sized full-model from any other store. It has fulfilled the need for more than four years now. A recent test revealed that it has zero dead pixels.  

We purchased one of those recently! It was a choice between: $46 for black ink cartridge for existing printer or: $44 for new printer. We like it very much as it is faster and quieter than previous ink jet printer and the print quality is quite nice. We use ink jet only when we want quick printing and do not need very fine detail of laser as it is faster than laser when printing less than four pages. 

I do not know why many people appear to be ashamed of buying electronics at Wal-Mart. Ink jet printers and many other such things are virtually consumables and so buying at the proper price point is important. Many items which they sell are full-model units such as one would purchase at any place and are not made-for-Wal-Mart sub-models. Our Roku is precisely the same as if we purchased it directly from Roku and was $22 less expensive than at any electronics store in the area. We have a model-made-for-Wal-Mart television in the workroom. It was 30% cheaper than similar-sized full-model from any other store. It has fulfilled the need for more than four years now. A recent test revealed that it has zero dead pixels.  

Their electronics is just stuff people will have around the house and use several times a year, not for high traffic use, such as in an office with many employees hammering on it every day.  I also have purchased WD external hard drives, and possibly also a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 (a key part of my home-made DVR - though I got the rest online and/or from a local computer store).  My laptop and desktop computers are Dell Latitude E6420 and HP USDT, both used commercial gear on eBay, a year or two old when I purchased it.  Both are common units and have an unlimited supply of replacement parts available.  Brand new SSD hard drives for them from the computer store.  So I won't avoid Walmart purchases where appropriate or when they make sense.

For me it is really more about the distinction between consumer and commercial gear.

I'd be wary of any mechanical load-bearing gear which is required to have safety ratings.  Though economy versions may pass tests, they may not have the same safety factor as with more commercially viable equipment.  There will be compromising structural issues like incomplete weld joints and bad metal.  Fortunately none of this relates to common household appliances from Walmart, as long as they pass UL requirements, or similar, and don't catch on fire by themselves.  You can always go and get a replacement when it breaks down.

I keep reaching for the September Now Playing guide and it's not there... That's the only tv guide of any sort I get - I even use it to jot down a note of something else I need to remember because I'm used to looking at it everyday. I feel like I lost my daily planner.

Yes I could print a schedule but it's not as good as having a nice guide for the month. Would TCM reconsider printing Now Playing at a higher subscription rate? I felt like the subscription was a good value and I'd be willing to pay more to start receiving one again. As good as TCM is in so many ways, I hope they will think about considering options to make a guide available again.

• Like 1

I have been familiar with Wal-Mart since the 1970's.  Would never purchase electronics there - or food or medicine.  

I have been familiar with Wal-Mart since the 1970's.  Would never purchase electronics there - or food or medicine.  

Why?

I rarely shop at Wal-Mart because I have other stores and markets that are much closers to my home.    But when we travel and we are in a small\midsized town that has a Wal-Mart we will shop there for our travel needs since the prices are a lot lower and one only needs to shop at one place to get almost anything.  

Purchasing brand-name electronics from Wal-Mart is fine, just avoid most of their store brands. Same with food: pre-packaged foods from reputable companies (check the dates on them, though), but avoid their produce and meats, as well as stuff prepared on site. I couldn't speak to their medicine, but I would think the same rules apply. 

Purchasing brand-name electronics from Wal-Mart is fine, just avoid most of their store brands. Same with food: pre-packaged foods from reputable companies (check the dates on them, though), but avoid their produce and meats, as well as stuff prepared on site. I couldn't speak to their medicine, but I would think the same rules apply. 

What is wrong with their produce and meats?   (since I rarely purchase any pre-packaged foods).

Like I said I rarely go there but when traveling we will stop and get items like apples, bananas, and lettuce and carrots for our salads.

I know they purchase a lot of stuff from China but I assume their produce is mostly from CA just like any other store.    

I do not know why many people appear to be ashamed of buying electronics at Wal-Mart. 

I think you missed the point-it's not shame, nor the electronics. It has to do with people knowing Wal*Mart is bad for the American economy, but shopping there anyway.

I steer clear of the place and would never support the company by buying a thing from them.

What is wrong with their produce and meats?   (since I rarely purchase any pre-packaged foods).

Like I said I rarely go there but when traveling we will stop and get items like apples, bananas, and lettuce and carrots for our salads.

I know they purchase a lot of stuff from China but I assume their produce is mostly from CA just like any other store.    

There have been so many recalls on their meat and produce that it doesn't seem worth taking the chance. And like Tiki was getting at, it's better to support your local fresh food markets. They need the money more.

• Like 1

For the reasons Lawrence and Tikisoo added, I don't usually purchase groceries from Walmart.  While it doesn't make much difference which store you get your Chinese factory stuff from (in some cases you can just import it yourself using eBay), it DOES matter where you get your groceries. 

I have one big box grocery store (probably the best option in my area) that has a rewards card, affiliated gas stations, and they often have buy-one-get-one-free, or buy-one-get-one-half-off deals.  Another is a "farm market", actually more like a pre-Amazon Whole Foods but also includes a large alternative medicine area.  They have many things GNC won't carry, which don't fit GNC's guidelines of consumed nutritional supplements.  The lady that worked in that section told me they have 8600 different SKUs, not sure if she meant all the products in that one dept or the whole store.  The place is well organized, but they have so many different and unusual things that I have no idea where to look.  In addition it seems some of the people that staff that area are actual nutritionists, they really understand what they are selling.

On the vitamin topic, cheaper vitamins often contain synthesized components made in a factory, whereas health store vitamins actually contain the real components extracted from natural sources.  There are subtle differences in the molecular structures between the cheaper synthetic vitamins and the more expensive natural vitamins, which often translates into the natural ones being more effective because they are more bioavailable and the body knows what to do with it.