Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NO MAN OF HER OWN (1932) - carole lombard

(Not the Barbara Stanwyck film of Woolrich's "I married a dead man.")

Excited to research Clark Gable, I found this wonderful movie on Netflix.

Clark was married at the time, and also involved with his life-long girlfriend, Joan Crawford.

So, he and Lombard were just co-stars.

But this is a terrific pre-code film, right on the cusp of social change (the "Code"), and the election of FDR as president.

There is a fancy apartment "bar" but it is hidden in a wall (because of prohibition)

The stars are using "candlestick" phones, but the ear-piece is held off to the side, to stay out of their face-shot.

Décor and costumes are terrific.

I have a beef with the Library set (Lombard is an extremely gorgeous town librarian)---it is a huge mess, with books scattered on the top of tall shelves, all along shelves, at all angles, and with no bookends.

Dust is everywhere. Maybe the art department thought this was ok, but it's painful to watch.

Clark Gable is wonderful in this.

• Like 1

(Not the Barbara Stanwyck film of Woolrich's "I married a dead man.")

Excited to research Clark Gable, I found this wonderful movie on Netflix.

Clark was married at the time, and also involved with his life-long girlfriend, Joan Crawford.

So, he and Lombard were just co-stars.

But this is a terrific pre-code film, right on the cusp of social change (the "Code"), and the election of FDR as president.

There is a fancy apartment "bar" but it is hidden in a wall (because of prohibition)

The stars are using "candlestick" phones, but the ear-piece is held off to the side, to stay out of their face-shot.

Décor and costumes are terrific.

I have a beef with the Library set (Lombard is an extremely gorgeous town librarian)---it is a huge mess, with books scattered on the top of tall shelves, all along shelves, at all angles, and with no bookends.

Dust is everywhere. Maybe the art department thought this was ok, but it's painful to watch.

Clark Gable is wonderful in this.

When I was first getting into studio-era films about 30 years ago I saw My Man Godfrey and went on a mission to watch as many Lombard films as I could.    I stumbled on to No Man of Her Own and really enjoyed the film.   Nice mix of light comedy,  romance and drama.    I didn't know about pre-codes at the time so  two scenes surprised me a great deal.  One was when Lombard changes clothes;   I was surprised the film just keep showing her undressing.   Another one is where Gable makes his indecent proposal;  Heads we get married,  tails we,,,,,,,,  (they don't say what but it is obvious).  Then the coin is flipped and the film cuts to a wedding.       

So I did some research and found out about the pre-code films and the enforcement of the Production code in July 1934.

A lot to like in this film and one that kind of gets lost unlike the major films released by both Gable and Lombard later in their careers.

• Like 2

"No Man Of Her Own" will be shown at 10pm on May 2 as part of TCM's month long tribute to star of the month Clark Gable. Let's hope TCM doesn't bump it off the schedule as this is a Paramount film. TCM has bumped many Paramount films from its schedule in the last several months.

"No Man Of Her Own" will be shown at 10pm on May 2 as part of TCM's month long tribute to star of the month Clark Gable. Let's hope TCM doesn't bump it off the schedule as this is a Paramount film. TCM has bumped many Paramount films from its schedule in the last several months.

Thanks for the tip.    Yea,  TCM does have 'rights' issues with Paramount films from time to time.   

Fans of Gable or Lombard (or like me,  both):  Don't miss this film!!!