Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

Thought so, but just checking.  Many people get NC and SC confused.  Also, SC is often used for Supreme Court.

No problem.   I knew it wasn't SC because that is a very rural state.   E.g. we just completed a study of out-of-state Work Comp medical services and S.C. was #1;  E.g.  over 50% of SC claimants seek medical treatment for their WC injuries in other states (mainly Georgia and N.C.).    In most states it is < 10% of claimants.  

The point being that an economic boycott of S.C. would NOT have the type 'big targets' that states like Georgia or N.C. would have.

No problem.   I knew it wasn't SC because that is a very rural state.   E.g. we just completed a study of out-of-state Work Comp medical services and S.C. was #1;  E.g.  over 50% of SC claimants seek medical treatment for their WC injuries in other states (mainly Georgia and N.C.).    In most states it is < 10% of claimants.  

The point being that an economic boycott of S.C. would NOT have the type 'big targets' that states like Georgia or N.C. would have.

Actually SC was under a boycott by the NAACP because of the Confederate flag issue until it was taken down.  Had zero effect on state's economy.

SC is not that rural.  Tourism is the number one or two industry in SC, so an effective economic boycott would be significant.  Agriculture battles tourism for top position.  Then add in auto manufacturing, tire manufacturing, etc.  Georgia and NC merely have larger populations.

45]AIaAHA_I_bigger.jpgRyan Teague BeckwithVerified account @ryanbeckwith

More

1. Mayor of Lexington, Kentucky, decides to remove two Confederate-era statues from courthouse

2. Jacksonville, Florida, city council president calls for Confederate memorials to be moved

3. Mayor of Baltimore says she will move forward with removal of Confederate-era statues

4. Memphis will sue the state of Tennessee to get Confederate statues removed

5. Maryland Speaker calls for removal of statue of justice who wrote Dred Scott decision

6. Workers in Gainesville, Florida, remove Confederate statue

7. Leaders in Howard County, Md., discussing removing confederate monument from circuit court building

Some examples of positive responses

SC is not that rural.  Tourism is the number one or two industry in SC, so an effective economic boycott would be significant.  Agriculture battles tourism for top position.  Then add in auto manufacturing, tire manufacturing, etc.  Georgia and NC merely have larger populations.

Much of South Carolina's economy is based on South of the Border.

border_sign.jpg?w=240

south-of-the-border-560x560.jpg

(That's a joke, Cid. Don't verbally murder me again.)

PS: For those who don't know of this place, it's a large themed rest-stop/shopping center on the south side of the South Carolina/North Carolina border on Interstate 95, which runs along the East coast of the US. When heading north from Florida, or south from Maryland or further, the stretch of I-95 through Virginia and the Carolinas is renowned for how mind-numbingly boring it is, an endless sea of trees and near-identical off-ramp gas stations and fast food joints. The one "bright spot" is South of the Border, which is endearingly ridiculous, tacky, and just a smidgen racist (or more depending on the observer). Billboards featuring "Sleepy Pedro" can be seen for many, many miles leading up to the place. On my many trips to NYC, DC, and Philly, I almost always stopped there on the way to and from.

45]B44FKZvz_bigger.jpgRob ReinerVerified account @robreiner

More

Hopefully we're fighting last battle of Civil War & racism entering death throes. All have to choose sides: DT/AltRight or human decency.

As far as I'm concerned the Civil War is long dead and the Confederacy is long dead and the Confederate flag doesn't exist except for hate language and racist intimidation.

As far as I'm concerned the Civil War is long dead and the Confederacy is long dead and the Confederate flag doesn't exist except for hate language and racist intimidation.

More hate.

Much of South Carolina's economy is based on South of the Border.

border_sign.jpg?w=240

south-of-the-border-560x560.jpg

(That's a joke, Cid. Don't verbally murder me again.)

PS: For those who don't know of this place, it's a large themed rest-stop/shopping center on the south side of the South Carolina/North Carolina border on Interstate 95, which runs along the East coast of the US. When heading north from Florida, or south from Maryland or further, the stretch of I-95 through Virginia and the Carolinas is renowned for how mind-numbingly boring it is, an endless sea of trees and near-identical off-ramp gas stations and fast food joints. The one "bright spot" is South of the Border, which is endearingly ridiculous, tacky, and just a smidgen racist (or more depending on the observer). Billboards featuring "Sleepy Pedro" can be seen for many, many miles leading up to the place. On my many trips to NYC, DC, and Philly, I almost always stopped there on the way to and from.

Actually only been once and found it be typical tourist trap.  But everybody should go at least once as it is different.

FYI:  It was not originally meant to be a reflection of Mexico.  When it was being built, it was in the middle of nowhere so much of the building materials and so forth were delivered to south of the NC/SC border on US 301(?).  301, if I am correct without a map handy, was the main North-South highway to Florida before I-95.  Supposedly, I-95 was rerouted so that South of the Border would be on it.

If anyone is interested, the number one tourist attraction in SC is the Grand Strand, mostly Myrtle Beach.  

The U.S. has got lots of monuments and memorials of the Confederate States of America.  What to do with them should be interesting.

sta.jpg

I'm a little stunned never heard of this General before until now considering was one of Lee's best. (after Googling)  Only person with the name John Brown I know is the abolitionist.  Learn something new every day.

Cid--

I truly like you and I admire a lot of things that you have posted on the website.

Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

I also feel the same (but as an atheist I won't be praying). 

But I do find it very immature that his standard reply now is 'you are a hater'.   I didn't see any hate in your post and none in the one I made.   Oh well,  life goes on.

• Like 1

I'm not so conflicted about that. I think the "I-don't-agree-with-you-but-I'll-defend-to-the-death-your-right-to-do-it" has gotten out of hand. On the other hand, if he has the right to put up a symbol for all to see, that is the symbol of an entity that killed thousands of Americans and other allies; then she has that same right to post his addresses.

Many of those right wingers are originalists when it comes to the U.S. Constitution. There was not unlimited freedom of speech in that time, so by those standards, it's ok to limit certain expressions.

I also think that all the privacy stuff that people talk about relative to the Constitution is via loose interpretation. It's not explicit, so that she's free to post his information. His flag, which can be seen beyond his property, incites people; her posting of his information may do the same.

Think of it like a bad smell on his property, or a gas leak: it may be on his property, but its implications go beyond.

Germany is a free society, but they do ban much of the paraphernalia of naziism, even though many of their soldiers died in World War II. We should do the same with the symbols of Naziism, and of the Confederacy.

"....It’s from the Southern Poverty Law Center, and it shows us when all those Confederate monuments and statues were erected:

blog_confederate_monuments2.gif

This illustrates something that even a lot of liberals don’t always get. Most of these monuments were not erected after the Civil War. ...

...the timing of the monument building makes it pretty clear what the real motivation was: to physically symbolize white terror against blacks. They were mostly built during times when Southern whites were engaged in vicious campaigns of subjugation against blacks, and during those campaigns the message sent by a statue of Robert E. Lee in front of a courthouse was loud and clear....

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/08/the-real-story-of-all-those-confederate-statues/

Caroline O.

@RVAwonk

Taking down Confederate monuments is not erasing history - it's declaring that some parts of history belong in a museum, not on a pedestal.

I wonder why the previous administrations were so dull to realize this?

Are you talking about the previous Presidential administrations,  such as Obama's?    Note that maybe the Obama admin did realize this but felt it was up to local officials and the people that vote for them to decide and not the Federal government (which is my POV).

But yea, Federally owned monuments (are there any?) should have been moved to a museum long ago. 

45]ErfTMaMx_bigger.jpgCory BookerVerified account @CoryBooker

More

I will be introducing a bill to remove Confederate statues from the US Capitol building. This is just one step. We have much work to do.

45]83Xj5Zh3_bigger.jpgAndrew CuomoVerified account @NYGovCuomo

More

Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson will be removed from the CUNY hall of great Americans because New York stands against racism.

45]g4QmmkRQ_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehill

More

Ohio city becomes the latest to remove Robert E. Lee statue after Charlottesville http://hill.cm/3UELYmR

DHZclyXWAAAL7oh.jpg

I think that's a gal not a guy. It's not nice to

kick a Confederate soldier when he's down. :)

I was just watching a Lawrence O'Donnell program talking about Robert E Lee. I really had no that idea he was that terrible. I think you had mentioned this previously.

Apparently he was not only a white supremacist, but also someone who tried to keep black people in slavery after they had been set free in a family will.

Then after the Civil War he tried to also hamper any kind of civil rights for black people.

Maybe these white supremacists really do know what they're doing by organizing and making their Last Stand around the confederacy's top General.

BTW-- We were always taught in school that he was simply forced to side with the confederacy because of his family background and his home state of Virginia. But Larry said that most of his family stayed with the Union, despite the fact they were from Virginia.

Larry said also, in so many words that Lee extended the misery of the war and was responsible for additional unnecessary deaths because he was such a good military strategist.

That's certainly a a different take than we had in our history books.

I was just watching a Lawrence O'Donnell program talking about Robert E Lee. I really had no that idea he was that terrible. I think you had mentioned this previously.

Apparently he was not only a white supremacist, but also someone who tried to keep black people in slavery after they had been set free in a family will.

Then after the Civil War he tried to also hamper any kind of civil rights for black people.

Maybe these white supremacists really do know what they're doing by organizing and making their Last Stand around the confederacy's top General.

BTW-- We were always taught in school that he was simply forced to side with the confederacy because of his family background and his home state of Virginia. But Larry said that most of his family stayed with the Union, despite the fact they were from Virginia.

Larry said also, in so many words that Lee extended the misery of the war and was responsible for additional unnecessary deaths because he was such a good military strategist.

That's certainly a a different take than we had in our history books.

Just goes to show how far distinguished looks and a gentlemanly manner

will get you. I think Lee always talked a better game than he played. Whatever

he said about slaves, he kept them as long as he could.