Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

Protesters Try To Surrender In Solidarity With Confederate Statue Topplers-

"Since protesters toppled a Confederate monument Monday in Durham, N.C., local police have arrested eight people on charges of rioting and defacing public property. Three of those protesters appeared in court Thursday — but they were far from the only people packing the Durham County Courthouse.

Upward of 100 people showed up to support the suspects, ....

Dozens of them marched on the Durham County Detention Facility, hoping to turn themselves in for the very same crimes in solidarity with those arrested — and before long, video of the incident hit social media.....

"All of us are willing to share the cost of our freedom," she added. "All of us are here, and we are willing to take whatever responsibility, whatever consequences come along with the removal of that statue.".....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/17/544235556/watch-protesters-try-to-surrender-in-solidarity-with-confederate-statue-topplers?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

What's the relevance? The only thing it shares in common, its a statue.  The most iconic scene was the little boy hitting it with his shoe, in the Arab world the worst insult one can give.

saddam-statue-hit-with-shoes.jpg

The relevance is that Saddam Hussein was part of the history of Iraq, so shouldn't Americans (U.S. soldiers were involved) and Iraqis have kept it up, despite the evil that it represented? Trump thinks that all statues should stay up, because they represent history, no matter how evil (and I do equate Saddam with R.E. Lee and his traitorous friends.)

so states right only if any state's activities and approvals meet with the approval of self-appointed leftist bureaucrats?

States Rights has been a euphemism employed by the Republican right mostly, to keep Jim Crow in place, resist desegregation, and many other laws coming from D.C. Since the GOP has majorities in Congress, these same "States Rights" advocates are trying to trample same with Federal regulations trying to take away states from having any say in abortion rights, etc. Hypocritical to the extreme.

States Rights has been a euphemism employed by the Republican right mostly, to keep Jim Crow in place, resist desegregation, and many other laws coming from D.C. Since the GOP has majorities in Congress, these same "States Rights" advocates are trying to trample same with Federal regulations trying to take away states from having any say in abortion rights, etc. Hypocritical to the extreme.

Today States Rights is being used by the left in areas like illegal immigration,  gun control and marijuana,  and gay rights (even with the SC ruling on SSM).      I'm a States Rights supporter and the only involvement by the Feds should be to ensure a state's law doesn't violate the U.S. Constitution.    

With regards to monuments;  That should also be up to each individual state.   

Protesters Try To Surrender In Solidarity With Confederate Statue Topplers-

"Since protesters toppled a Confederate monument Monday in Durham, N.C., local police have arrested eight people on charges of rioting and defacing public property. Three of those protesters appeared in court Thursday — but they were far from the only people packing the Durham County Courthouse.

Upward of 100 people showed up to support the suspects, ....

Dozens of them marched on the Durham County Detention Facility, hoping to turn themselves in for the very same crimes in solidarity with those arrested — and before long, video of the incident hit social media.....

"All of us are willing to share the cost of our freedom," she added. "All of us are here, and we are willing to take whatever responsibility, whatever consequences come along with the removal of that statue.".....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/17/544235556/watch-protesters-try-to-surrender-in-solidarity-with-confederate-statue-topplers?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Rioting? Yeah, right. This would be a great case for jury nullification.

45]g4QmmkRQ_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehill

More

University of Texas orders immediate removal of its remaining Confederate statues: http://hill.cm/nGN6S2x

DHwZU_7XcAAIopg.jpg

45]

45]z7mTllSz_bigger.jpgNYT Graphics@nytgraphics

More

Updated: Where Confederate monuments are coming down across the country https://nyti.ms/2v2Qznb

DHwn_3XUIAAkFaf.jpg

Primarily slave states and their sympathizers--

Missouri was an anomaly in the midwest.

In spite of being next to Kansas, a free state, MO was actually a slave state that didn't officially join the Confederacy, but had a great many violent sympathizers.

To this day race relations in Missouri are much more volatile and hateful than those in Kansas because of Missouri's slavery and stringent Jim Crow history-- it's also the home of renegade Rebel Jesse James.

• 2 weeks later...

BillMoyers.comVerified account @BillMoyers 14h14 hours ago

.@eji_org identified 4,084 lynchings in 12 Southern states between 1877 & 1950.

Where are the victims’ monuments?

"Abbeville chronicles the unveiling of a historical marker dedicated to the brutal death of Anthony Crawford a century ago. Lynched in the town square of Abbeville, South Carolina, Crawford was a successful African-American farmer who argued with a white merchant for a fair price for cottonseed. For his “crime,” he was publicly stabbed, shot and hanged by a white mob, and his family was subsequently run out of town.

Crawford’s murder counts as just one of the 4,084 racial terror lynchings identified by EJI in 12 Southern states between the end of Reconstruction in 1877 and 1950, and yet is one of only a handful of deaths recognized today by public markers.

In fact, the Abbeville memorial is one of six lynching markers erected by EJI as part of an effort to force Americans to face our history of racial terror and reshape the national narrative about race. The other five can be found in LaGrange, Georgia, and four cities in Alabama. EJI is working with communities to install more. But it’s still a far cry from the more than 1,500 symbols of the Confederacy in public spaces that the Southern Poverty Law Center has mapped:....

...There are very few monuments or memorials that address the history and legacy of lynching in particular or the struggle for racial equality more generally…. Only when we concretize the experience through discourse, memorials, monuments and other acts of reconciliation can we overcome the shadows cast by these grievous events.”

http://billmoyers.com/story/4000-black-people-lynched-south-monuments/

:unsure:

Heritage is a persons history (one definition of the word), doesn't make it racism. Many people whom are descendants of slaveholders are not bigoted or racist. One example is the Reverend Robert E. Lee IV who denounces racism. The General is HIS heritage (kinship / heredity) nothing one can do about it.

Robert-Lee-and-Robert-E-Lee-1280x720.jpg

“We have made my ancestor an idol of white supremacy, racism and hate,” he said. “As a pastor, it is my moral duty to speak out against racism, America’s original sin. Today, I call on all of us with privilege and power to answer God’s call to confront racism and white supremacy head on.”

The Rev. Robert Lee IV

• Like 1

An interesting article in today's Detroit Free Press focused on a story about WAYNE BRADLEY, an African-American republican who says his job is, "...to reach out to my community, so I have to be conscious of what's important to my community and relay that back to the party"  as his position is as Director of African-American Engagement  for the Michigan republican party.

Recently, he's been taken to task on "DweebBook" and other sources for speaking out against some recent actions of the republican party and it's president Donald Trump.  Like the pardon of "Sheriff Joe" and the condemning of NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who both are "guilty" of the same basic thing.  Expressing their views their way, with the exception that Joe's way was detrimental and racist in essence, while Kaepernick's was just harmless freedom of expression.  It had no negative effect  or impact on anybody's lives.

Plus, Trump's condemnation of that action followed by his and the republican support of the "free speech" of the Tiki torch crew  has caused Bradley to speak out in protest.  Claiming----

"You can't claim to be from the party of Lincoln and defend the confederacy.

Indeed, it would be difficult to recruit African-Americans to a political party that militantly endorses and supports those people who would rather NOT have them in the party while at the same time trying to figure out why it's so difficult to get black people to vote for republican candidates.  And for pointing this out, many in the GOP are calling for Bradley's removal from his position.

A classic "cluster".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

kaepernick is a schtootz. the mark of vacant liberalism. objecting to injustice by being an exhibitionist.

maybe his fellow kneelers are so afraid that if they doan humor and capitulate to his 'wisdom', he will start calling them the R word.

:lol:

this is all liberalism really has left under trump. anyone who doesn't defer or capitulate will be attacked with the most vile thoughtless accusations.

America had enough and empowered donny..only he will never back down but will throw their own hyper-sensitive HS right back in their faces. :)

look at it this way, if the vile reverend jeremiah wright can be transformed into president obama's 'mentor', than who's to say that donny trump is any worse or better?

look at it this way, if the vile reverend jeremiah wright can be transformed into president obama's 'mentor', than who's to say that donny trump is any worse or better?

I will say who is worse. Wright is a Chicago-area preacher. Donald Trump is the President of the United States. The character of one of those two has a greater impact on the lives of the people of this country, and subsequently the rest of the world. If you can't figure out which one, you really are lost.

• Like 2

kaepernick is a schtootz. the mark of vacant liberalism. objecting to injustice by being an exhibitionist.

maybe his fellow kneelers are so afraid that if they doan humor and capitulate to his 'wisdom', he will start calling them the R word.

:lol:

this is all liberalism really has left under trump. anyone who doesn't defer or capitulate will be attacked with the most vile thoughtless accusations.

America had enough and empowered donny..only he will never back down but will throw their own hyper-sensitive HS right back in their faces. :)

I feel that Kaepernick and Trump are similar in that they are willing to make a statement regardless if it impacts their ability to do their job.   Trump did this as a businessman and of course as President he does this daily.  

Kaepernick had to know that his actions would impact his ability to play in the NFL (and if he didn't he sure did after the first protest),  but decided to protest anyway and when there was still a chance to back-down and save his job,  wouldn't back down.

My guess is that Trump has a lot of respect for Kaepernick as someone that speaks his mind and doesn't back down,  even when doing so would be in their best interest.

while Kaepernick's was just harmless freedom of expression.  It had no negative effect  or impact on anybody's lives.

Many people claim that what Kaepernick did had a negative effect on their lives.  Again, we are talking about FEELINGS which are 100% subjective.

Note that supporters of retaining Confederate monuments make the same point;   Those monuments have NO negative effect on anybody's live (and therefore it is silly and wrong to remove them).   

To me the 'cluster' is how does a society determine whose FEELINGS are 'valid' enough for government or a private company to take action?

As for the NFL:   I assume they are going to stop showing the anthem and cut from a commercial right to the actual kickoff.   That will upset both sides and could lead to rallies outside stadiums.

If players start protesting during a game (e.g. after scoring a touchdown) then the league would have to make a difficult decision as it relates to any punishment.    Like the monuments I assume most people just want these conflicts to 'go away' but that isn't going to happen because FEELINGS are too strong on both sides.

• Like 1

The museum of “Enslavement and Mass Incarceration” will open in 2018 – and not a moment too soon -  

"As Confederate sympathizers rant about destroying history, a museum rises dedicated to exploring our worst chapter....

To combat America’s general reticence when it comes to acknowledging its racial foundation and the way those racial caste systems morphed and evolved, attorney Bryan Stevenson, through his organization, Equal Justice Initiative, will open a new museum, “From enslavement to Mass Incarceration”, in 2018.

The African American history museum emerged from a report EJI published in 2013 titled “Slavery in America.” EJI wrote on their website about the museum’s motivations:....

"This museum is designed to change the way we think about race in America. The United States has done very little to acknowledge the legacy of genocide of Native Americans, enslavement of black people, lynching, and racial segregation. As a result, racial disparities continue to burden people of color; the criminal justice system is infected with racial bias; and a presumption of dangerousness and guilt has led to mass incarceration, excessive punishment, and police violence against young people of color.".........

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/01/the-museum-of-enslavement-and-mass-incarceration-will-open-in-2018-and-not-a-moment-too-soon/

Many people claim that what Kaepernick did had a negative effect on their lives. Again, we are talking about FEELINGS which are 100% subjective.

Note that supporters of retaining Confederate monuments make the same point; Those monuments have NO negative effect on anybody's live (and therefore it is silly and wrong to remove them).

To me the 'cluster' is how does a society determine whose FEELINGS are 'valid' enough for government or a private company to take action?

As for the NFL: I assume they are going to stop showing the anthem and cut from a commercial right to the actual kickoff. That will upset both sides and could lead to rallies outside stadiums.

If players start protesting during a game (e.g. after scoring a touchdown) then the league would have to make a difficult decision as it relates to any punishment. Like the monuments I assume most people just want these conflicts to 'go away' but that isn't going to happen because FEELINGS are too strong on both sides.

It Is very true that there were some white people who were very upset about this black football player openly attacking racism while he was collecting millions of dollars playing a game.

But I imagine some of these same people are very upset that Oprah Winfrey has millions of dollars from the entertainment industry and that Barack Obama has millions of dollars from lecturing and writing books.

I think it's very funny how some white people will focus on-- be inordinately jealous or envious of--a handful of rich black Americans --while the majority of black people are struggling.

But to be fair, I suppose there are people of all Races and ethnicities and nationalities who are obsessed with the fact that Barack Obama has marble table tops and marble accessories in his new kitchen in his new home.

But, all joking aside, if a white person is truly a racist, any achievement, no matter how small, that a black person attains will be frowned upon and have a negative effect upon the racist's life because it destroys his basic belief in white supremacy.

It Is very true that there were some white people who were very upset about this black football player openly attacking racism while he was collecting millions of dollars playing a game.

But I imagine some of these same people are very upset that Oprah Winfrey has millions of dollars from the entertainment industry and that Barack Obama has millions of dollars from lecturing and writing books.

I think it's very funny how some white people will focus on-- be inordinately jealous or envious of--a handful of rich black Americans --while the majority of black people are struggling.

But to be fair, I suppose there are people of all Races and ethnicities and nationalities who are obsessed with the fact that Barack Obama has marble table tops and marble accessories in his new kitchen in his new home.

But, all joking aside, if a white person is truly a racist, any achievement, no matter how small, that a black person attains will be frowned upon and have a negative effect upon the racist's life because it destroys his basic belief in white supremacy.

The majority of the comments I have read at various Internet forums indicate that the main reason people are upset about the protest was because they felt it disrespected the USA and was unpatriotic.    (and NOT because it was done by a black man and about black rights).

This is similar to burning the US Flag;   A majority of Americans will view that as wrong,  regardless of the reasons behind the act  (i.e. what cause the person has for burning a US Flag).      

You appear to be implying that only a racist would be upset that a black man didn't stand during the National Anthem.   I don't believe that is the case.   Now one can call those that get upset about someone not standing during the National Anthem or burning the US Flag tinhorn patriots.      Patriotic FEELINGS are strong in tinhorns.

The museum of “Enslavement and Mass Incarceration” will open in 2018 – and not a moment too soon -

"As Confederate sympathizers rant about destroying history, a museum rises dedicated to exploring our worst chapter....

To combat America’s general reticence when it comes to acknowledging its racial foundation and the way those racial caste systems morphed and evolved, attorney Bryan Stevenson, through his organization, Equal Justice Initiative, will open a new museum, “From enslavement to Mass Incarceration”, in 2018.

The African American history museum emerged from a report EJI published in 2013 titled “Slavery in America.” EJI wrote on their website about the museum’s motivations:....

"This museum is designed to change the way we think about race in America. The United States has done very little to acknowledge the legacy of genocide of Native Americans, enslavement of black people, lynching, and racial segregation. As a result, racial disparities continue to burden people of color; the criminal justice system is infected with racial bias; and a presumption of dangerousness and guilt has led to mass incarceration, excessive punishment, and police violence against young people of color.".........

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/01/the-museum-of-enslavement-and-mass-incarceration-will-open-in-2018-and-not-a-moment-too-soon/

why, in your expert estimation, is mayor Rahm Emanuel unable to affect any lowering of the nightly homicide rate on the killing streets of chicago???

because confederate monuments hundreds of miles away in the southern states are sending out too many negative waves?

:huh:

"oh man, don't hit me with them negatives waves so early in the morning." -oddball, kelly's heroes

fine. take 'em down. take them all down....

but their removal affects the daily unrelenting homicide rate in chicago not one iota..

and that is what some are asking...

which is the greater social ill?...

confederate monuments or an out of control murder rate in a major metropolitan city???

and yet it makes more sense to liberals to obsess over these old statues than to address immediate out of control murderous mayhem which calls into question liberalism's priorities.

so the slaughter continues with no sign of abatement and no sign of the urgency of the matter from Rahm Emanuel and his liberal chicago police force yes men.

silence from the NAACP and the congressional black caucus. not a peep from them on Rahm Emanuel's tragic failure of leadership and to protect the innocent. just nonsense about confederate monuments

like Rush Limbaugh has said for years, symbolism over substance. the final pathetic gasp of 20th century american liberalism, it's inevitable end result. an almost complete impotency in the face of murderous violence and chaos.