Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

As a citizen and civic leader (he earned that title with his post-Katrina work to rebuild the city), Marsalis has every right to voice his opinion, and given his celebrity status, that opinion may or may not garner more attention than John Q. Public. He's as much an authority as any other citizen who has the right to voice his thoughts on what's going on in his city, parish and state. And I guarantee you he has more authority on the matter than Rush Limbaugh, who is not a citizen of New Orleans or Louisiana.

Where did anyone say that voters shouldn't have the final say in the matter? Seems you're refuting an argument no one has made.

Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinion,  but that doesn't mean their opinion is of more value (I.e. should be respected more).

As for Voters having the say;  read what NIP is posting.    To me he implies what is happening in New Orleans is some liberal plot dreamed up by outsiders to remove local monuments.     So I'm going to remind these conservatives that this is a home grown movement AND that if the locals don't wish for the monuments to be taken down they can vote out those in power.

In addition;  Mississippi just passed a law that prevents local (city \ county) authorities from removing monuments.   Clearly GOP state leaders in that state do NOT support local VOTERS having control on this issue.       So the arguments have been made.

kwXnsWCE_bigger.jpeg

Chicago TribuneVerified account @chicagotribune 14h14 hours ago

Alabama governor signs protections for Confederate monuments amid opposition from African-American lawmakers http://trib.in/2qZpEIh pic.twitter.com/t7R3hZz2ns

DAqwP9eWsAIHesa.jpg
All we ask is to be left alone.

The people in New Orleans voted for the city council members that voted to take down the monuments.    Therefor it was the will of the people in that city that decided and NOT outsiders.

I do agree that it should be the local folks that decide these issues but to me that means cities and counties and NOT the state government.

Ed1SgaGZ_bigger.jpeg

Patrick J. BuchananVerified account @PatrickBuchanan 3h3 hours ago

[bRIGADE] PJB: After the Confederates, Who's Next? http://aweber.com/t/Ovf52 

As scholar Charles Murray has written, 97 percent of the world's most significant figures and 97 percent of the world's greatest achievements in the arts, architecture, literature, astrology, biology, earth sciences, physics, medicine, mathematics and technology came from the West.

As scholar Charles Murray has written, 97 percent of the world's most significant figures and 97 percent of the world's greatest achievements in the arts, architecture, literature, astrology, biology, earth sciences, physics, medicine, mathematics and technology came from the West.

Scholar Charles Murray sounds like an ignorant jackass. No wonder Buchanan quotes him.

I particularly like the pride he apparently takes in the West's contributions to the field of astrology. Without our horoscopes where would we be?

Scholar Charles Murray sounds like an ignorant jackass. No wonder Buchanan quotes him.

I particularly like the pride he apparently takes in the West's contributions to the field of astrology. Without our horoscopes where would we be?

Very true. Charles Murray is Infamous in the academic world for his racist "research".

Baltimore mayor wants to explore removing city's Confederate monuments, "following in the footsteps of New Orleans." http://abcn.ws/2qt4Ure 

7a-POLICING-Pugh-CatherineMF0001-copy-60

she's got it! there it is!

:D

the long sought after solution to inner city poverty and it's associated urban violence...

removal of confederate statuary?  :huh:

Don't forget the great achievements of World Wars One and Two,

the Holocaust, and the Gulag. Great job, Charlie.

Sure.  But what's ALSO forgotten.....

Where did the West get that NUMERIC system they use?  Huh?

Or how about, where did they go to get the better HORSES?  Eh?

Next time you listen to some Western cultured "guitar hero" play a solo, think of three letters.......OUD!

Sepiatone

President Eisenhower Letter-Honor Robert E. Lee

Eisenhower letter regarding Robert E. Lee

President Dwight Eisenhower wrote the following letter in response to one he received dated August 1, 1960, from Leon W. Scott, a dentist in New Rochelle, New York. Scott’s letter reads:

“Dear Mr. President:

“At the Republican Convention I heard you mention that you have the pictures of four (4) great Americans in your office, and that included in these is a picture of Robert E. Lee.

“I do not understand how any American can include Robert E. Lee as a person to be emulated, and why the President of the United States of America should do so is certainly beyond me.

“The most outstanding thing that Robert E. Lee did was to devote his best efforts to the destruction of the United States Government, and I am sure that you do not say that a person who tries to destroy our Government is worthy of being hailed as one of our heroes.

“Will you please tell me just why you hold him in such high esteem?

Sincerely yours,

“Leon W. Scott”

Eisenhower's response, written on White House letterhead on August 9, 1960 reads as follows:

August 9, 1960

Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War Between the States the issue of Secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s caliber would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the nation’s wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained.

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

• Like 2

Gee, I wonder if Eisenhower had anything in common with General Lee? 

I also wonder what Lee would have thought of Eisenhower's 1957 decision to send paratroopers into Little Rock just to make sure nine kids could go to high school.

LittleRockNine.jpg

I also wonder what Lee would have thought of Eisenhower's 1957 decision to send paratroopers into Little Rock just to make sure nine kids could go to high school.

LittleRockNine.jpg

Lee would have agreed with it.  He would have led the troops if so directed.

I usually ignore Jake and disagree with him 99.9% of the time.  One reason I ignore him is that he seldom says or posts anything significant and his posts take up way too much space to have to scroll through to get to meaningful items.

However,  I read the letter Jake posted and believe that Eisenhower sucinctly stated why he respected Lee and why the "Confederates" were not traitors. Also why the Civil War was inevitable, regardless of slavery.  

Note that Eisenhower's letter was written three years after Little Rock so he had plenty of time to consider the factors of the situation - political and historical.

I usually ignore Jake and disagree with him 99.9% of the time.  One reason I ignore him is that he seldom says or posts anything significant and his posts take up way too much space to have to scroll through to get to meaningful items.

However,  I read the letter Jake posted and believe that Eisenhower sucinctly stated why he respected Lee and why the "Confederates" were not traitors. Also why the Civil War was inevitable, regardless of slavery.  

Note that Eisenhower's letter was written three years after Little Rock so he had plenty of time to consider the factors of the situation - political and historical.

This was done as part of the GOP's Southern strategy.

Perhaps not if it had happened in his beloved Commonwealth of Virginia!

President Eisenhower Letter-Honor Robert E. Lee

Eisenhower letter regarding Robert E. Lee

President Dwight Eisenhower wrote the following letter in response to one he received dated August 1, 1960, from Leon W. Scott, a dentist in New Rochelle, New York. Scott’s letter reads:

“Dear Mr. President:

“At the Republican Convention I heard you mention that you have the pictures of four (4) great Americans in your office, and that included in these is a picture of Robert E. Lee.

“I do not understand how any American can include Robert E. Lee as a person to be emulated, and why the President of the United States of America should do so is certainly beyond me.

“The most outstanding thing that Robert E. Lee did was to devote his best efforts to the destruction of the United States Government, and I am sure that you do not say that a person who tries to destroy our Government is worthy of being hailed as one of our heroes.

“Will you please tell me just why you hold him in such high esteem?

Sincerely yours,

“Leon W. Scott”

Eisenhower's response, written on White House letterhead on August 9, 1960 reads as follows:

August 9, 1960

Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War Between the States the issue of Secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s caliber would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the nation’s wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained.

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Aaaah, to once again live in a country where a sitting President has such a great command of the English language, and SOOOO unlike presently.

(...what I wouldn't give)

LOL

• Like 1

Perhaps not if it had happened in his beloved Commonwealth of Virginia!

I can understand your thinking, but Lee was a great soldier and would have followed the orders of the president and the officers superior to him.  He resigned from the US Army after being offered command of the entire US Army because it would have meant attacking Virginia after it seceeded.  No one else was offered such a level of command until Grant arrived in Virginia in 1864.

In the Little Rock scenario, even in Virginia, he would have been carrying out the orders of the president and his superior officers while VA was still a part of the US.

This was done as part of the GOP's Southern strategy.

Not true.  The GOP did not have an actual Southern Strategy until Nixon.  Although the Goldwater Republicans were creating one in 1963 and began the process.

Before about 1962, the Republicans were still champions of integration and civil rights.

Regardless, Eisenhower would not have had any part of the later Republican's Southern Strategy.  That was devised by Nixon, Strom Thurmond and others and then expanded by Reagan and the Republican Party after 1964.

Yes, not all the significant technical achievements are from

the West. And technical achievements do not have a necessary

relationship to moral ones.

Lee was a great general. Rommel was a great general.

One was a white supremacist, the other was German.

Maybe when Ike had time to write and edit a letter,

he was articulate, but he was known for the awkwardness

of his off the cuff comments.

LittleRockNine.jpg

The only thing I could say is it's just very funny that after all these years we're still arguing about the Civil War and the Confederacy.

Nobody cares about the Confederacy or the Confederate flags or anything to do with the Confederacy. Although, It's historically interesting to those who may have an eccentric /esoteric interest in it.

Otherwise maybe we can all go on to what is happening today that has to do with the Confederate flag and monuments OR anything to do with the Confederacy--

They are simply a symbol for racism, hatred and white supremacy. Doesn't matter what kind of flag it is --a Confederate flag is a Confederate flag and

a swastika is a swastika.

Recently in Kansas two high school students in two different regions showed up with the Confederate flag on the school campus. School officials didn't argue with them about their Southern Heritage, or about their freedom of speech --they simply said it wasn't going to be tolerated in their schools.

No one cares about Confederate ( statues) flags except the people who are flying these flags and they know what they're standing for.

Perception is everything.

Lee would have agreed with it. He would have led the troops if so directed.

I usually ignore Jake and disagree with him 99.9% of the time. One reason I ignore him is that he seldom says or posts anything significant and his posts take up way too much space to have to scroll through to get to meaningful items.

However, I read the letter Jake posted and believe that Eisenhower sucinctly stated why he respected Lee and why the "Confederates" were not traitors. Also why the Civil War was inevitable, regardless of slavery.

I am absolutely not surprised that you and Jake agree on this because you two do have a lot in common.

The only thing I could say is it's just very funny that after all these years we're still arguing about the Civil War and the Confederacy.

Nobody cares about the Confederacy or the Confederate flags or anything to do with the Confederacy. Although, It's historically interesting to those who may have an eccentric /esoteric interest in it.

Otherwise maybe we can all go on to what is happening today that has to do with the Confederate flag and monuments OR anything to do with the Confederacy--

They are simply a symbol for racism, hatred and white supremacy. Doesn't matter what kind of flag it is --a Confederate flag is a Confederate flag and

a swastika is a swastika.

Recently in Kansas two high school students in two different regions showed up with the Confederate flag on the school campus. School officials didn't argue with them about their Southern Heritage, or about their freedom of speech --they simply said it wasn't going to be tolerated in their schools.

No one cares about Confederate ( statues) flags except the people who are flying these flags and they know what they're standing for.

Nobody cares?    You couldn't be more wrong.    First there are the activist that care.   They care so much they want to remove Confederate monuments and symbols.    Next there are those that feel removing such things are an insult to their heritage.  

To imply only racist or Trump supporters care is insane and shows a lack of perception.          

I also feel you own Cid an apology.   While I disagree with Cid as well as Eisenhower on this topic (honoring those that took up arms against the Feds during the Civil War),   it isn't right or accurate to just assume they are racist because they have that POV.  

45]

Kv_cNNub_bigger.pngABC NewsVerified account @ABC

Following

More

Baltimore mayor wants to explore removing city's Confederate monuments, "following in the footsteps of New Orleans." http://abcn.ws/2qt4Ure

7a-POLICING-Pugh-CatherineMF0001-copy-60

Just saw this on WSAZ news - Kentucky town does the opposite....

Confederate monument moved from UofL campus rededicated in Brandenburg

http://www.wave3.com/story/35539568/confederate-monument-moved-from-uofl-campus-rededicated-in-brandenburg

http://www.newsweek.com/confederate-monuments-louisville-kentucky-617198

rtx385ge.jpg

LittleRockNine.jpg