Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

Lee was a great general. Rommel was a great general.

One was a white supremacist, the other was German.

Maybe when Ike had time to write and edit a letter,

he was articulate, but he was known for the awkwardness

of his off the cuff comments.

Yes, true Vautrin. However, can you in your wildest imagination envision the current POTUS even being HALF as articulate while composing a letter(or even a freakin' TWEET now days, for THAT matter) as Ike was there?

(...nope, I think not, sir...that man-child currently inhabiting Ike's old residence there on Pennsylvania Avenue, just doesn't have it in him...and as you WELL know!)

I am absolutely not surprised that you and Jake agree on this because you two do have a lot in common.

The only thing I could say is it's just very funny that after all these years we're still arguing about the Civil War and the Confederacy.

Nobody cares about the Confederacy or the Confederate flags or anything to do with the Confederacy. Although, It's historically interesting to those who may have an eccentric /esoteric interest in it.

Otherwise maybe we can all go on to what is happening today that has to do with the Confederate flag and monuments OR anything to do with the Confederacy--

They are simply a symbol for racism, hatred and white supremacy. Doesn't matter what kind of flag it is --a Confederate flag is a Confederate flag and

a swastika is a swastika.

Recently in Kansas two high school students in two different regions showed up with the Confederate flag on the school campus. School officials didn't argue with them about their Southern Heritage, or about their freedom of speech --they simply said it wasn't going to be tolerated in their schools.

No one cares about Confederate ( statues) flags except the people who are flying these flags and they know what they're standing for.

Perception is everything.

Your prejudice and bias is showing again.  You hate Southern whites more than you hate Trump.  While you proslytize that everything French is wonderful and superior to all else, you cannot accept that many aspects of American history are complicated and not simplistic.

Respecting your heritiage and honoring your ancestors does not make you a racist.  

For you to state that agreeing with JakeHolman makes one a racist is proof of your own bigotry and intolerance.  If you search back, you will find that I have agreed with you or liked your posts hundreds of times and Jake only once.

Slavery was wrong; racism is wrong.  I supported removing the Confederate flag from the state house grounds and even contacted all eight of the legislators from my area-all Republicans. Five voted to keep the flag.

It is unfortunate that many have chosen to use the Confederate battle flag as a symbol of racism and hate.  However, you obviously have little understanding of and do not care for any about the difference between Nazism and the Confederacy, so I will not attempt to educate you.

You need to visit some American universties and peruse the listings of NEW books about the Civil War and all aspects of it.  Probably one of the most researched and written about subjects in American History.  A lot of people still care about it.

Don't forget- Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist.  He just didn't happen to believe in slavery.  And he did not set the slaves free.  Congress did that after Lincoln had died.  He set the slaves free only in the parts of the US that were in rebellion when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation.  The slave states in the Union were still slave states.

Your prejudice and bias is showing again.  You hate Southern whites more than you hate Trump.  While you proslytize that everything French is wonderful and superior to all else, you cannot accept that many aspects of American history are complicated and not simplistic.

Respecting your heritiage and honoring your ancestors does not make you a racist.  

For you to state that agreeing with JakeHolman makes one a racist is proof of your own bigotry and intolerance.  If you search back, you will find that I have agreed with you or liked your posts hundreds of times and Jake only once.

Slavery was wrong; racism is wrong.  I supported removing the Confederate flag from the state house grounds and even contacted all eight of the legislators from my area-all Republicans. Five voted to keep the flag.

It is unfortunate that many have chosen to use the Confederate battle flag as a symbol of racism and hate.  However, you obviously have little understanding of and do not care for any about the difference between Nazism and the Confederacy, so I will not attempt to educate you.

You need to visit some American universties and peruse the listings of NEW books about the Civil War and all aspects of it.  Probably one of the most researched and written about subjects in American History.  A lot of people still care about it.

Don't forget- Abraham Lincoln was a white supremist.  He just didn't happen to believe in slavery.  And he did not set the slaves free.  Congress did that after Lincoln had died.  He set the slaves free only in the parts of the US that were in rebellion when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation.  The slave states in the Union were still slave states.

I agree with you here as it relates to "honoring your ancestors, does not make you a racist'.    I find it sad that people 'go there' especially towards someone like you  (based on the views you have expressed over the years) .    While we still disagree about honoring your ancestors' as it relates to them fighting against the US government,   my POV was never related to slavery or racism.  

It was interesting to read that letter from Eisenhower but I still say he was ahead of his time as it relates to the GOP Southern strategy.     Look at the 52 and 56 election maps.  The only states he lost where in the south.    With his stance on army racial integration and other civil rights advances,   he needed to give the south some type of bone to help Nixon.    Yea, Ike was wise and gave them Lee as a patriotic  American  (when Lee's actual loyalties where to his state of Virginia).  

• Like 1

I agree with you here as it relates to "honoring your ancestors, does not make you a racist'.    I find it sad that people 'go there' especially towards someone like you  (based on the views you have expressed over the years) .    While we still disagree about honoring your ancestors' as it relates to them fighting against the US government,   my POV was never related to slavery or racism.  

It was interesting to read that letter from Eisenhower but I still say he was ahead of his time as it relates to the GOP Southern strategy.     Look at the 52 and 56 election maps.  The only states he lost where in the south.    With his stance on army racial integration and other civil rights advances,   he needed to give the south some type of bone to help Nixon.    Yea, Ike was wise and gave them Lee as a patriotic  American  (when Lee's actual loyalties where to his state of Virginia).  

While I am sure that factored in to the 52 and 56 races, I think the real reason for Eisenhower's losses in the Deep South were the strong control the Democratic Party had on the South then.  This was the era of the Solid South.  They even voted for Catholic Kennedy in 1960.

I remember this period and recall only one person who actually admitted to being a Republican.  Lost every race he ever ran by huge margins.

I worked in a drug store where one of the owners was big in state politics.  Basically there was one party - the Democrats, but with different wings.  None were liberal and few were moderate.  But except for Thurmond in 48, they voted for the national Democratic ticket reliably - until Goldwater.

• Like 1

Yes, true Vautrin. However, can you in your wildest imagination envision the current POTUS even being HALF as articulate while composing a letter(or even a freakin' TWEET now days, for THAT matter) as Ike was there?

(...nope, I think not, sir...that man-child currently inhabiting Ike's old residence there on Pennsylvania Avenue, just doesn't have it in him...and as you WELL know!)

Yes, Trump would have a problem writing anything close to that by himself.

So there's no doubt Ike was a lot brighter than Donny, not that that is

much of a compliment. I remember someone wrote up the Gettysburg Address

a la Eisenhower. Quite humorous.

http://librarysystems.com/gettys.htm

• Like 1

The thing I LOL about in the 1952 and 1956 elections

is that Adlai Stevenson, the poster boy for liberal

eggheadism, took most of the South. Can you imagine

a modern day Stevenson winning one of those states?

Hell no.

The thing is, I don't think people put as much importance  on such limiting labels like "conservative" and "liberal" as they seem to these last few decades.

I remember back in the early part of these 2000's my buddy's Dad saying, "Hell, I didn't even KNOW I was a "conservative" until the '8o's!"

Over the years, he said he's voted for :  Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, (sat out '76 not liking either) and Reagan.  Based on their records of ADMINISRATING, and NOT the "lip service" they dole out in heaps during their campaigns.  NOR which party they happen to belong to.

Sepiatone

45]H1qUtJzN_bigger.jpgThe Hill‏@thehillVerified account

More

"Removing Civil War statues is the first step in finally defeating the Confederacy" http://hill.cm/FZBHSoU

DBh-D92W0AESO6w.jpg

Jakeem--

When you get a chance, check out the latest Atlantic issue, June 4th 2017 for an article called "The Myth of the Kindly General Lee" by Adam Serwer, a Senior Editor of The Atlantic.

In this article we finally get some facts on the real Robert E Lee and clear up the legendary mythology surrounding him.

Source: theatlantic.com

And in finally defeating the legacy of the Confederacy - -

* white supremacy

* Jim Crow

* lynchings

* the Ku Klux Klan

Yeah.  all "that there" heritage  they's all goin' on about.  ;)

Next stop:   Gettin' rid of all them MULLETS!  :D

Sepiatone

And in finally defeating the legacy of the Confederacy - -

* white supremacy

* Jim Crow

* lynchings

* the Ku Klux Klan

White supremacy and the K K K are still around and legal (e.g. have 1st Amendment rights), and will never  be defeated.

White supremacy and the K K K are still around and legal (e.g. have 1st Amendment rights), and will never be defeated.

And the results are hate crimes and violence: these two things are not legal.

In any civilized society people will try to obliterate organized hate, which leads to discrimination and violence.

We can only be thankful that the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. didn't have a defeatist attitude.

And the results are hate crimes and violence: these two things are not legal.

In any civilized society people will try to obliterate organized hate, which leads to discrimination and violence.

We can only be thankful that the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. didn't have a defeatist attitude.

In a civilized and FREE society people do NOT have the legal right to obliterate organized hate.    The courts have ruled on this many times and hate and hate speech is 100% legal.   What isn't legal are actions that arise from hate but NOT the hate or hate speech.

Note that you appear to side with Trump on the issue of a hate crime.  Trump wishes to punish Muslims for what is in their mind and NOT just for their actions.  

• Like 1

There's nothing funny about racism, discrimination and hate crimes.

the dam things are just sittin' there stone cold and inanimate not giving off any psychic energies that I'm aware of.

their removal affects nothing and that is why liberal politicians fretting over them is so dumb.

the dam things are just sittin' there stone cold and inanimate not giving off any psychic energies that I'm aware of.

their removal affects nothing and that is why liberal politicians fretting over them is so dumb.

and I have absolutely no problem removing them from public sight just so long as they are not damaged or destroyed because they are very much a part of american history albeit a negative one so surely even liberals can undestand that...

"they must remain standing. the buchenwalds, the dachaus, the auschwitzes, they must remain standing because they are a monument to a time in history when some men decided to turn the earth into a graveyard and into it they shoveled all their reason, their knowledge but most of all, their conscience and the moment we forget that, we become the gravediggers...

something to remember not only in the twilight zone, but wherever men walk God's earth."  -Rod Serling

Interesting article on Lee. Some of it I knew, but I

didn't know that Lee's troops captured free blacks

when his army was in Pennsylvania. Lee certainly

looked like the gentlemanly, noble soldier, but that's

a fake out. There was also another good article on

the German American Bund with many photographs from

the period.

attack lee? now the notion of lee being an honorable soldier, albeit on the wrong side, is to be denegrated?

when does the egg-sucking left go after civil war battle enactments? I predict they won't because then motives would be questioned. the left never ventures beyond the safe point of deception.

trash lee? even liberal pundits will question that. just who is it that still obsesses over the civil war even 152 years after it ended?

what the hell does this hafta do with anything in 2017? are the young black men of chicago committing nightly genocide against themselves because of confederate monuments???

of course not! this is all politically correct HS.

attack lee? now the notion of lee being an honorable soldier, albeit on the wrong side, is to be denegrated?

Did you read the article?

of course not!

yes, I did read it but does that really delegitimize Robert E. Lee as an honorable soldier? what is exactly to be gained here by the uh exile of all these confederate monuments?

will the nightly homicide rate in chicago magically drop when the last confederate monument is removed from public view???

of course not because there is no connection between confederate statues and the current mayhem in chicago...so why is the left pushing this?

to create an illusion of proactiveness in the obvious face of ideological entrenchment.

entrenched in the ideological hangups of the past 50+ years, they are bankrupt!

in the face of unabated mayhem in urban places like chicago and frustration with the reality of trump, the left thinks the thing to do is highlight stone cold inanimate statues that do nothing but sit unmoving and motionless. 

outstanding!