Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mrsl

Your fave way to watch

It's weird-there were years when I don't remember shedding a tear and now I can cry at the drop of a hat. What's up with that? Is it a "symptom" of middle age?>>

Ben,

'Fraid so. The right commercial can make me tear up to.

> idb1,

> (Sorry to everyone else, I'm getting WAY off topic).

> Funny you should mention reading, it is always a

> struggle to get them to read as much as I'd like, but

> just this weekend my daughter read Of Mice and

> Men for the first time. It was entertaining

> having her tell me about it as though I had never

> read it. I think the classic movie version may be in

> our immediate future.

Make sure it's the older version with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney - that's the best one.

This can open up a whole new avenue of learning and appreciation for your kids. In my house, we used to talk about whether we liked the book or the movie better. It makes kids not only discerning readers, but discerning cinephiles. They should be made aware that the literature came first. (Remember Roseanne, on finding out from her sister that "Gone With the Wind" was a book first? "It was a book?? Get outta here!!!")

I home schooled my daughter for high school, and one of her favorite projects was doing "screen adaptations," either book to film or film to book. We also had discussions on a book or film from the point of view of a character who was not a main protagonist, or tried to think about how she could have written the story differently. As I said, TV/film are very powerful and useful media.

I definitely prefer to watch movies alone. I have enough trouble concentrating at times without worrying about someone saying something at an innopportune time :-) And Ben, don't worry about being able to cry at the drop of a hat. I love movies that can make me cry.

I usually watch alone. One thing I also do is watch in segments. It's rare for me to sit down and watch a film all the way through. I just don't have the time.

What I will do instead, is put a DVD in the player and watch about 30 mins. or so until I have to do something else. I don't read books in one session so why should a film be any different?

I also have different films in different players in my house and it's not uncommon for me to watch 30 mins. of one in the kitchen while I eat and later watch another 30 mins. of a different film while in bed (I do that with books too).

It isn't always easy (or possible) to watch a movie in one sitting. But I think there are some cases where the pacing of the film will definitely suffer from interruptions. Especially when a movie is told in real-time as a way of building suspense, like High Noon.

But again, it isn't always possible to watch every movie in a single sitting.

My favorite way to watch, is to turn off the lights in my room and just watch. And I do prefer to be alone.

Message was edited by:

Nicki82

Usually alone in my room. I'm a lot like Woody Allen's character in Annie Hall in that he feels he needs to watch a movie exactly from beginning to end, and so do I.

"Cause I'm ****."-Alvy Singer, Annie Hall

Make sure it's the older version with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney - that's the best one.

HUH? There's another? What heresy. Lon Chaney Jr.'s George was THE definitive George. There will never BE another George, imo.

I no longer have the patience or time to watch a classic movie all the way through either. Some movies, like Rosemary's Baby and A Clockwork Orange, scared or affected (respecitvely) me so much that I could NOT watch them all the way through.

Oh Judas Priest, I just looked up Of Mice and Men on imdb -- Malkovich and Sinise? Give me a freaking break. No way. No how. :( I don't know who that Casey guy is, but I bet he was no Bob Steele (who was a stunt man, right?). Heresy, I say.

>

> Oh Judas Priest, I just looked up Of Mice and Men on

> imdb -- Malkovich and Sinise? Give me a freaking

> break. No way. No how. :( I don't know who that

> Casey guy is, but I bet he was no Bob Steele (who was

> a stunt man, right?). Heresy, I say.

You really should see that version before you make a judgment on it.

"Mice" was a play that Malkovich and Sinise did for several years. They are both great stage actors who came into movies. It also comes much closer to the book in my opinion. In fact, this is one of the few films that I would rate as good as the book.

I have seen both versions many times and I much prefer the latter.

I watched it in my tenth grade English class because we were reading the book. I thought it was wonderful, but I would still like to see the original sometime. Just to compare.

My Fav way 2 watch is with my teenage daughters..I love that they know who carey grant and jimmy stewart are. I remember being their age and watching the old movies with my mom..Every Sunday we could curl up on the couch, order sum pizza and spend the whole day watching movies..My Mom died an i miss her so much but everytime i watch one of her favs with my girls i feel like she is right here with us!!

> Usually alone in my room. I'm a lot like Woody

> Allen's character in Annie Hall in that he feels he

> needs to watch a movie exactly from beginning to end,

> and so do I.

>

> "Cause I'm ****."-Alvy Singer, Annie Hall

Don't worry, I'm just as **** as you are :-) It really bugs me if I can't see a movie from the very first second and watch it all the way through.

Don't worry, I'm just as **** as you are :-) It really bugs me if I can't see a movie from the very first second and watch it all the way through.

I don't think it's unusual for many film buffs, critics, historians, etc. to watch everything thru the end. It's a bit harder with recent movies, the end credits just seem to get longer and longer with many Hollywood movies.

Once in a while, tho, there's a great hidden scene right at the end of the end credits.

I usually watch alone (because no one else in my home really enjoys them) on a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon. At Christmas, I pull out all the dvd's that are holiday themed, like Holiday Inn, The Bishop's Wife, Miracle on 34th St, etc.. and I like to stay up late and watch one while I wrap gifts. My best friend and I will also get together once in a while on a Friday night, order a pizza, and watch one.

Well, it's usually just if I'm seeing it for the first time. If I've seen it before, I'll skip through whatever I feel like. Another reason why whenever we rent, they watch it first and then give it to me.

In a beautifully restored movie palace with a full audience. Preferably, the evening will begin with the organist playing hits from the era, as I organize my snacks. Then a spin-the-wheel contest with free prizes to the crowd, followed by a short subject and cartoon. At least three trailers, and then the movie...

[Malkat, I assume Mr. 13 prefers to be laying down ["horizontal"], perhaps nestled in a soft sofa to watch classic fare.]

Jack that sounds WONDERFUL!!! I bet it was really like that in a theater in the 1930's and 1940's? The closest that I came to such a theater was the Grand Theatre in Oakland, CA. after they renovated it. What a thrill it must have been back in the day!!!

I like to watch after purchasing a new movie (or now getting one/four from Net-Flix) I'll usually buy a primerib cheese steak from Quiznos put the movie on and for the first 15 minutes I'll have my sub to eat and then I'll be nice a full and lay on my bed and let my food (this are big subs with alot prime rib) settle for the rest of to movie.

I also like to go to the movies with my dear friends when I'm down in NYC visiting.

When I saw The Departed in october last year it was with my friends in NYC and hands down it was the best movie viewing experience of my life thus far. We talked about it all the way back to my friends dorm.