Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Godfather" reunion at Tribeca

jakeem

gettyimages-674961076-b6a54972-ee23-4d1b

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images Entertainment                              

The final night of the Tribeca Film Festival provided a special treat -- a reunion of stars from "The Godfather" (1972) and "The Godfather Part II." The Saturday participants were: Robert De Niro, a co-founder of the annual New York City festival and an Oscar winner for "The Godfather Part II"; director Francis Ford Coppola; and actors Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall, James Caan and Talia Shire. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/5-things-we-learned-from-tribecas-godfather-reunion-w479616

• Like 2

Goodness...that is Al Pacino?   Looks like some homeless guy.   How disheveled.   

I really liked Al Pacino in the Godfather - and he looked stunning and quite handsome.  I know people get "old", but at least comb your hair, tuck your shirt in and put on some decent shoes....how sad to see him looking like that.

Goodness...that is Al Pacino?   Looks like some homeless guy.   How disheveled.   

I really liked Al Pacino in the Godfather - and he looked stunning and quite handsome.  I know people get "old", but at least comb your hair, tuck your shirt in and put on some decent shoes....how sad to see him looking like that.

Actually, he looks pretty cool for someone who just turned 77. And who is more eccentric than Diane Keaton when it comes to fashion?

To Jakeem, 4 big stars for posting this!!!

I saw it on various other sites earlier today

Both "GFI" & "GFII" are my personal all-time favorite films-(who thought 1990's "GFIII" was good? I think it's good (***-out of 4) at best, but I've had a longtime theory that Coppola lost grasp with the material in 16 years.

I know all say it, but "Kane" is still the greatest I've yet to see!

I forwarded onto about 10 people on FB this story & also listed the people that have since went since then:

Brando, Cazale,-(& he discovered Streep!), Conte, Castellano, Vigoda, Lenny Monahan, John Marley, Strasberg, Michael V. Gazzo

I like Pacino, but he looks like a disheveled mess these days.....like he just crawled out of bed.  guess when you go out with a lady 40+ years younger, it takes a toll on an old guy.

I never liked Diane Keaton...always thought she was sloppy looking.....and I thought she was the weak link in the Godfather film.....just thought she was miscast.   

That guy siting and talking to Pacino?  I had to look twice - the shape of him looks like an older Brando.

• Like 1

Actually, he looks pretty cool for someone who just turned 77. And who is more eccentric than Diane Keaton when it comes to fashion?

Hoffman, Nicholson, Beatty, Redford are also his/the same age. Jack recently said he's retired though. His last from 2010 was "How Do You Know"

But never say never with actors right

(P.S. AFI really screwed up in giving D. Keaton it's next annual award, what with Jerry Lewis-(91), Duvall-(86) & Hopkins-(80) still-around?

They messed-up with the legendary Peter 0'Toole

Actually, he looks pretty cool for someone who just turned 77. And who is more eccentric than Diane Keaton when it comes to fashion?-(P.S. Madonna is when it comes to fashion)

Jakeem, ever see the outtakes & making of "The Godfather?" Martin Sheen tested for Michael, as did De Niro.

Lenny Monahan who played Luca Brazzi was a pro wrestler

Is it me or are they trying to hold each other up?

Will there be cake?

cakes-7287.jpg

De Niro's amazing at 74, he must average 3 new films per year.

& Coppola never really was interested in telling a story of the mafia-(not to be mentioned in the pic.)

It was the family aspect that interested him

Both "GFI" & "GFII" are my personal all-time favorite films-(who thought 1990's "GFIII" was good? I think it's good (***-out of 4) at best, but I've had a longtime theory that Coppola lost grasp with the material in 16 years.

I forwarded onto about 10 people on FB this story & also listed the people that have since went since then:

Brando, Cazale,-(& he discovered Streep!), Conte, Castellano, Vigoda, Lenny Monahan, John Marley, Strasberg, Michael V. Gazzo

You're welcome! I'm one that believes "The Godfather" is better than "Kane." It's only a matter of time before it tops the critics' lists issued every decade.

By the way, Lenny Montana played Luca Brasi. And add Al Lettieri to your list of the departed. 

Morgana King, who played Mama Corleone, is still with us.

m & I always wondered about something, back in the 1980's Duvall told an interviewer-"Premiere")

that De Niro was only good when he played Italians

I wonder if he read that critical item or not, because they never worked on another film together since

Sole film they did 1981's "True Confessions"

& in Bobby De's defense, what about "Bang the Drum Slowly" Travis Bickle, role was polish in "The Deer Hunter" Max Cady, "Awakenings" "Silver Linings Playbook" "King of Comedy" (Rupert Pupkin) & others

I reckon'-(to quote Gary Cooper & Eastwood) Robert Evans-(l930-) is feeling poorly & did not attend, because with his ego, he woulda' been present

Paramount at first were set on Olivier as Don Vito Corleone & even Edward G. Robinson's name was thrown about. Paramount wanted nothing to do with Brando, especially at that time

& most always thought he was Italian, but mostly Irish. Pacino-(Sicilian), Caan-(Jewish) & even some more fun trivia facts I saw many docu's on the making of it & Caan, whom was barely 5'10-(same as Brando, Duvall & Cazale) wore 2 to 3 inch lifts for filming

I've seen him wearing the altered shoes-(spats/saddle shoes) of which I ridiculously once bought a pair for almost $80.00 bucks.   (I got "Saddle Shoes" though not altered like his & many, many, famous stars of Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System-(l925-l960)

Only a handful that heighted: Edward G., Raft, Bogie, Garfield, Tyrone Power, Claude Rains, Bobby Darin, Yul Brynner & more

• Like 1

De Niro's amazing at 74, he must average 3 new films per year.

& Coppola never really was interested in telling a story of the mafia-(not to be mentioned in the pic.)

It was the family aspect that interested him

NICE SHOT!

There is an old-time movie palace down here in Tampa, FL-(I know, this of all places) it was built in 1926 & it even had a very elderly man-(89) who played "The Mighty Wurlitzer"-(pipe organ) on stage & when the feature starts he is lowered beneath the stage-(his daughter now carries on his tradition

This theatre is utterly amazing!!!  It's more interesting hanging out looking at the décor & place then the movie they are showing.  Matter of fact, my mother went to "Grauman's" in 2005 to see a movie of course & she firmly says "Tamp[a Theatre" is far more amazing inside then the legendary "Grauman's"

Anyway, they have specials there  They broadcast the Oscars live & all must come in fancy dress/tuxes,etc

& they also have a "Godfather" event, where patrons dress up like the gangsters in the epics

(LOOK IT UP ONLINE & YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN)

& I've been there (5) times to see a picture there. AMAZINGLY & I DON'T WANT TO PUT THE WHAMMY ON IT, to date there seems no plans to raise the theatre, not yet anyway. Where is Hollywood itself makes a hobby of tearing down it's legendary past?

1st went to & how appropriate for this type of palace "Citizen Kane" (1995) They have whats dubbed "Summer Movie Classics Series"

2. "It's a Wonderful Life" (Christmas '96)

3. "Apocalypse Now:Redux" (2001)-(NOTE: Duvall told Larry King he preferred this version over the first cut)

4. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"-(& this truly **** me off BIG-TUIME! At the end of it, they said they would have a conversation about the 1967 classic. I thought great, I can talk about Tracy all day, but it was instead a PC black vs. white conversation)

& to date I last saw "Cheri" (2008)-(an ok costume drama w/Michelle Pfeiffer. She was only reason I went)

Would most love to see there:

"GFI" "GFII" "Captains Courageous" "Casablanca'-(though I already saw that in a theatre before)

THANK YOU

& I think his Oscar winning dad Carmine Coppola died at a very old age

Is it me or are they trying to hold each other up?

Will there be cake?

cakes-7287.jpg

Duvall is by far the oldest on that stage at (86)  though he doesn't seem to age much.   One of the top 3-4 finest actors alive, along with D. Day-Lewis, Hopkins Duvall & Penn

• Like 1

gettyimages-674961076-b6a54972-ee23-4d1b

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images Entertainment                              

The final night of the Tribeca Film Festival provided a special treat -- a reunion of stars from "The Godfather" (1972) and "The Godfather Part II." The Saturday participants were: Robert De Niro, a co-founder of the annual New York City festival and an Oscar winner for "The Godfather Part II"; director Francis Ford Coppola; and actors Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall, James Caan and Talia Shire. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/5-things-we-learned-from-tribecas-godfather-reunion-w479616

John Cazale-(l935-l978) not only truly discovered "Marvelous Meryl Streep"-(he told everybody that would listen, he was going with the greatest actress that ever lived. She was simultaneously a mime & doing Shakespeare in the Park) & as Pacino always mentions, this girl was amazing-(as a human being) she nursed Cazale on his death bed for months, when he contracted "THE BIG C" John was said to smoke approx. (5) packs a day.  Only other individual I've heard that smoked more were "The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason" (6) & when Gleason had quadroople open heart surgery, around time & just after 1977's "Smokey & the Bandit" he cut back to (5)  & Sammy Davis, Jr.-(also 6) Sammy smoked so much even SINATRA called him "Smokey"

& all (5) of the films John appeared in were BP Oscar contenders, though he was never nommed?

There was an HBO excellent docy from about 5yrs ago "I Know It Was You Fredo"

& as Tom Hanks says online to Meg Ryan in '98's "You've Got Mail" "The Godfather" is the I ching of all life and wisdom"  unquote

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings