Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSYCHO (1959) - any John Gavin fans out there?

I hate to read about John Gavin being dissed (and see it in a movie like the otherwise wonderful HITCHCOCK.)

I think he's great.

He just about stole MIDNIGHT LACE, imho.

And, I think he could have played a darned good Norman Bates (with Anthony Perkins perfect as Marian's "loser" boyfriend Sam Loomis.)

Any fans?

• Like 1

Count me in!  Although I would not consider him one of the great actors, he always did  fine job in whatever he was filming.  I hate to read when someone puts him down.  I offhand cannot think of a movie where he was unbelievable as the character he was playing.  Also, I did not realize until I saw "Raw Edge" that he began his career at Universal under another name.

• Like 1

Count me in!  Although I would not consider him one of the great actors, he always did  fine job in whatever he was filming.  I hate to read when someone puts him down.  I offhand cannot think of a movie where he was unbelievable as the character he was playing.  Also, I did not realize until I saw "Raw Edge" that he began his career at Universal under another name.

Yes, he was billed as John Gilmore in RAW EDGE. In his next film-- BEHIND THE HIGH WALL-- he was billed as John Golenor (his real name). He didn't become "John Gavin" until FOUR GIRLS IN TOWN, his third picture at Universal.  

TopBilled, thanks for the information on Gavin's name change.  I remember when he first appeared in "Raw Edge" that I could not recall his name being in the opening credits.  I had to rewind the movie just to satisfy my curiosity.  It's interesting that he went through two name changes before the studio deciding on  the name Gavin.  Lots of little stories like this came out of Hollywood.

• Like 1

TopBilled, thanks for the information on Gavin's name change.  I remember when he first appeared in "Raw Edge" that I could not recall his name being in the opening credits.  I had to rewind the movie just to satisfy my curiosity.  It's interesting that he went through two name changes before the studio deciding on  the name Gavin.  Lots of little stories like this came out of Hollywood.

You're welcome Terrence. Several stars had name changes. Sometimes it would happen if their career stalled at one studio, and they switched to a new studio, then were given a complete makeover. In John Gavin's case, it's a bit unusual to have more than one name change at the same studio. 

I worked with John Gavin's wife, Constance Towers. A lovely, talented actress/singer, and one of the kindest and most generous artists I ever worked with.

MV5BNjEwODA0OTc4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTIw

• Like 1

I worked with John Gavin's wife, Constance Towers. A lovely, talented actress/singer, and one of the kindest and most generous artists I ever worked with.

MV5BNjEwODA0OTc4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTIw

Saw her in the Jones Beach production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, where a boat with Nazi flags went searching for the family as they hid in the cemetery.

• Like 1

I can not lie. I did pick on the guy... just a little... on a past thread. To be fair, I thought he did OK in Imitation of Life. On the LGBT threads, he received no criticism for his looks.

Please don't hate me because of my looks!

5582983.0c566076.560.jpg

In a curious way, I do think John and Robert Redford are like brunette vs. blonde twins. Redford was not any better as an actor, but a pretty darn good director (Ordinary People), a promoter of Sundance and also a great conservation activist. One of my favorite LPs of the seventies was a story about wolves narrated by him.

R-1436623-1274288902.jpeg.jpg

The reason Redford was higher on the Quigley polls throughout the seventies was due to choice of material. He always wound up in the blockbusters from Barefoot In the Park through Out of Africa. He was usually the "straight man" while Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, Babs Streisand, Meryl Streep and everybody else got to be the scene stealer.

• Like 2

Thanks Jlewis, for the great photo of John Gavin!

And---John Gavin was tall, unlike the more petite Robert Redford.

I wish John could have gotten some of the roles that Rock Hudson was showered with in his career!

• Like 1

Papyrus, you made a good point about not getting more of the roles that Rock Hudson did.   I thought he was quite good in "Back Street".  I certainly can see why Susan Hayward's character would fall so hard for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't all that impressed by him as an actor but certainly was by his service to the USA as an ambassador and his work with the Organization of American States.  You never saw his name in the scandal sheets even when his first marriage broke up.  He's obviously a class act person and credit to all the endeavors he's involved in.  If he's more talented than I think, great.

(a shout out to Swithin):

More John Gavin news----his widow is one of the stars of 11/22/63!

Constance Towers plays the "old" Sadie, James Franco's love, in 11/22/63.

And, imho, James Franco is just as handsome as John Gavin was.

(a shout out to Swithin):

More John Gavin news----his widow is one of the stars of 11/22/63!

Constance Towers plays the "old" Sadie, James Franco's love, in 11/22/63.

And, imho, James Franco is just as handsome as John Gavin was.

When did John Gavin die?!  Also, your last comment certainly proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.