Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
movielover11

Richard Widmark

Hi Mr. Dash - I was waiting till someone mentioned the movie with Sidney Poitier. I think it's called the Bedford Incident

I had the great privilege of having dinner with him in 2002..he was failing somewhat but a very articulate and gracious man..who allowed me to wear him out with questions..wanna hear a bit of trivia about him..he is married to a Hammerstein..as in Rodgers and..That was the ocassion that caused our interaction, the opening of the latest version of "Oklahoma!" on broadway

How exciting, Genius!!

I realize it would be improper to ask someone to kiss and tell, but wouldn't it be neat to ask someone like Richard Widmark to tell some stories about the lady stars that he may have dated? (Pre-marriage, OF COURSE :) I bet he has some stories that he could tell!!!

Richard Widmark was an upstanding guy - he was married to Jean Hazelwood in 1942 - way before he even became an actor - and stayed married to her until her death in 1997. So I don't think there would be any juicy stories of actresses he dated.

Also, on a side note, Widmark has one daughter who was once married to baseball pitcher Sandy Koufax.

Message was edited by:

movielover11

Technically, Mr. Widmark's second wife, Susan Blanchard, was the *stepdaughter* of Oscar Hammerstein, so they were related by marriage, not by blood.

Mrs. Widmark's first husband was Henry Fonda, so she was at one time the stepmother of Jane and Peter Fonda, although she wasn't a whole lot older than they were.

BLU

I am a member of the Richard Widmark Fan Club and I wholeheartedly agree with this writer that Mr. Widmark is indeed a sexy man.

This is such a true statement and aren't we fortunate to still have Richard Widmark with us, together with the other fine actors and Olivia de Havilland.

My favorite, among others, is "Alvarez Kelly". I also like "Garden of Evil" with my favorite actress Susan Hayward, "Cold Sassy Tree", "The Last Wagon", Two Rode Together", "The Way West" and every film Mr. Widmark ever made. I love westerns and I get to watch some of his films on the Encore Western Channel.

I forgot to mention that I like "Rollercoaster". This was filmed here, but unfortunately, I did not know Mr. Widmark was in the area. This famous rollercoaster was in Norfolk, Virginia, and I live in Virginia Beach which is a neighboring city.

Yes, I would like to comment please. I am a member of the Richard Widmark Fan Club and he is truly an under rated actor and how very sad that he never received an Oscar for all of his fine and brilliant performances in each of his films. We have a fantastic club and it is open to all who love this fine gentleman as we do. Each year we do something for his birthday and we all get so excited to be doing something for whom we call "OUR MAN". Although I like and enjoy each of his films, I especially like "Alvarez Kelly", "Two Rode Together", "Garden of Evil', "Cold Sassy Tree", "The Way West", "The Last Wagon" and "How the West Was Won". As you can see, I love westerns. I remember going to the theater to see "How the West Was Won" and the train scene was brilliant on the cinnemascope screen. I would love to see that film in the theater again, but, sadly, they no longer have those large screens.

Thankyou Rosemary!

Sometimes and OFTEN times (in my humble opinion) a perfect, handsome face isn't always the most sexy and/or intriguing face!

Shonna

I know we still have a few folks around but Richard and Van Johnson stand out in my mind. You would think that after giving the best song oscar to that piece of crap last year, with both Richard and Van in their 90's the academy would have had the class to award them oscars for their bodies of work while they could still enjoy and brag a little. Shame on you Academy of Arts and Sciences!

Anne

Can we really expect the Academy to hand out Oscars like they were candy to every star who reaches 90?

These actors had the great fortune to work during the Golden Age of Hollywood filmmaking and be in some of the most memorable pictures of their time... I think that's more than rewarding in itself, and a lot of Hollywood's greatest stars who have passed on never got an Oscar.

Isn't it really giving this silly award much more importance than it deserves?

Can we really expect the Academy to hand out Oscars like they were candy to every star who reaches 90?

These actors had the great fortune to work during the Golden Age of Hollywood filmmaking and be in some of the most memorable pictures of their time... I think that's more than rewarding in itself, and a lot of Hollywood's greatest stars who have passed on never got an Oscar.

Hey thanks :) i just could not quite remember the name, but now you reminded me, i shall look it up on netflix.... yeah! i found it it shall be mine now ;)

I once read that Richard Widmark was asked a few years ago if he wanted an honorary Oscar and he said he wouldn't appreciate it at this late date. I can't say I blame him for feeling that way.

Yes, I would feel the same way in his shoes.

That silly golden thing is a bit overrated. Nice for those that got one (or more) but a lot of Hollywood legends are still, well, legendary even if they never won one.

True Cinemascope. I think it's a rather silly award - too much politics and hob-nobbing with the right people are usually the folks who win - not necesarily the best actor or actress. At least that's the way I see it.

I'm thinking of Glenn Ford - who passed away before he could ever win an award or even be nominated. He was a great actor too and was certainly deserving.

Could you imagine these legendary actors/actresses who are still alive and haven't won an Academy Award having to watch the award program and see what type of garbage wins these days?