Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My regret vis a vis classic movies...

I've been away from here for a while. Family and work issues have kept me tied up. As such, I wasn't able to participate in the schedule challenge. It's probably for the best. The reason? I haven't seen enough classic movies to really be able to put together a schedule. I mean, I've seen some of the big guns of classic film ("Casablanca", "Singin' In The Rain", stuff like that), but there's so much I still need to see.

I feel a little ashamed about the fact that there are so many great movies that I haven't seen yet.

True. I've been meaning to see "Citizen Kane", "The Maltese Falcon", the entirety of "Now, Voyager", the films of The Marx Brothers...Of course, TCM runs these all the time and I do work part-time, so I should probably take the opportunity to sit down and watch the network every so often.

Just think of all the great movies you have to look forward to. It will be a lot of fun. It's certainly not anything to be ashamed of.

Remember you can vote in the programming challenge which will be coming up next week.

Yes, the Challenge doesn't close until midnight PT on March 7th.

When I read in your post that you still have the films of the Marx Bros. to see, I was filled with such sudden envy. I'm sure every fan of them here would love to experience them all anew as you will be.

> True. I've been meaning to see "Citizen Kane", "The

> Maltese Falcon", the entirety of "Now, Voyager", the

> films of The Marx Brothers...Of course, TCM runs

> these all the time and I do work part-time, so I

> should probably take the opportunity to sit down and

> watch the network every so often.

Caps-Now Voyager oh there is a movie to savor over and over again. I never get tired of seeing it. I watched it instead of the last American Idle final show although I had seen most of it by then. I didn't get to see all of it the first few times I've seen it like you. Like you also I've been not to the site in sooo long or watching TCM as much as I like to-I'd watch all the time if I could!

I agree with the advice to change your attitude about classic movies yet unseen; think of all you have to look forward to!!! I recently saw a never-before-seen Marx Bros. movie, and the sight gags were a hundred times more enjoyable just because I WASN'T expecting them; also recently ordered an early CD of a favorite singer of mine; what a revelation that was! You're in an enviable spot with so much to see for the first time. This is how I console myself everytime my VCR messes up and I miss something I might have taped: I'll get to see it another time, maybe when I need it more. It's not what happens to you... It's how you look at it...

Message was edited by:

otterhere

I wouldn't spend any time feeling ashamed. Not everyone around here has been doing this forever - I've been at this pretty hardcore for only 4 years or so...so I have ALOT to see as well.

I think the hardest part is getting yourself organized so that your viewing is not entirely random. If you pick an actor, a genre, or a decade to focus on (while not ignoring everything else, mind you), you can trick yourself into feeling you are making progress.

I don't think it is even possible to watch everything...but getting organized really helped me to not feel so overwhelmed when I started.

When I read in your post that you still have the films of the Marx Bros. to see, I was filled with such sudden envy. I'm sure every fan of them here would love to experience them all anew as you will be.

You can say that again! ;)

Hey, Caps

Part of the fun of doing the schedule is all the research-discovering "treasures." There are SO MANY classic and contemporary films that I have yet to see. Like you mentioned, there are always other "issues" that demand your time...time that could be spent watching movies! :)

On a different note-my partner isn't a big classic movie fan, but the other night he shocked me. We were watching "Casablanca." I always tell him the actor's names...as part of my classic movie appreciation education. Anyway, I asked him what movie we had seen recently that also had Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet in it. He said, "The one with the bird."

Awwww that's cool. That also happens to be one of the best features of the old studio system - you could almost always look forward to your favorite stars and many character actors working together on a somewhat regular basis.

Have you seen Hollywood Canteen yet? Lorre and Greenstreet have a priceless cameo!