Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Palmerin

CINCO DE MAYO

I'm glad that the holiday was celebrated with movies related to Mexico--quite unlike that time in 2016 when TCM featured a whole bunch of movies about Scotland in a day that had absolutely no relevance to Scottish history.

5 May 1862 is the day of the Battle of Puebla, a Mexican victory over the French.

• Like 1

So, ya say ya wanna talk "Cinco de Mayo" do ya, Palmerin?

Well, as they a say, a picture is worth...well, here's five of 'em of that hot blonde babe for ya, dude...

virginia-mayo.jpg

600full-virginia-mayo.jpg

7813712eb2d323e7376ea2617a5a4e5e.jpg

37280d86af9101c0e0d350d1f61916f5.jpg

VirginiaMayo.jpg

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

• Like 2

While I'm more of a mustard guy,  I do love my Mayo especially when it is well dressed.

Saturday Night Live this past week had a sketch with Donald Trump saying that he thought Cinco de Mayo was a holiday where Mexicans eat a sink full of mayonnaise. 

• Like 3

I'm glad that the holiday was celebrated with movies related to Mexico--quite unlike that time in 2016 when TCM featured a whole bunch of movies about Scotland in a day that had absolutely no relevance to Scottish history.

5 May 1862 is the day of the Battle of Puebla, a Mexican victory over the French.

And in SPITE of this fact being put out there for several years now, there's STILL boatloads of "Whettoes" that still think it's Mexico's independence day.  :blink:

And DARG!  M'MAN!!  Now WHO can say ANYTHING bad about a guy who posts not ONE, but FIVE fine photos of the fine VIRGINIA MAYO!??! 

LOVE ya, man!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

And in SPITE of this fact being put out there for several years now, there's STILL boatloads of "Whettoes" that still think it's Mexico's independence day.  :blink:

And DARG!  M'MAN!!  Now WHO can say ANYTHING bad about a guy who posts not ONE, but FIVE fine photos of the fine VIRGINIA MAYO!??! 

LOVE ya, man!

Sepiatone

Sepia....

The fact has been out there for over 150 years. Don't wanna sound like I'm nitpicking, but that's stretching my definition of several years.....by several years at least lol

I'm not at my computer right now so I can't copy and paste, but I actually read a very interesting tweet from somebody today that outlined how important Cinco de Mayo actually is to the history of the United States. Had it not been for Cinco de Mayo, it is quite possible the south would've won the Civil War.

(and it is with some slight reluctance as an eighth generation North Carolinian, that I have to admit that- yes - that would have sucked.)

EDIT- sometimes you just can't root for the home team you know?

• Like 2

Sepia....

The fact has been out there for over 150 years. Don't wanna sound like I'm nitpicking, but that's stretching my definition of several years.....by several years at least lol

My understanding of 'several years' was that in the USA this foreign historical event has only been celebrated the last few decades and many American's have no clue about what the true nature of this historical event. 

My understanding of 'several years' was that in the USA this foreign historical event has only been celebrated the last few decades and many American's have no clue about what the true nature of this historical event. 

And so why in THIS case the phenomenon of Americans not really knowing about something that happened outside their borders be any different than in any OTHER case, James?! ;)

LOL

(...yes, it does seem the whole Cinco de Mayo celebration phenomenon has grown tremendously in the past few decades in this country, and especially after a certain and almost uniquely American twist was applied to this celebration of Mexican and Mexican-American pride...that "American twist" being of course "gross commercialization")

• Like 1

Saturday Night Live this past week had a sketch with Donald Trump saying that he thought Cinco de Mayo was a holiday where Mexicans eat a sink full of mayonnaise. 

Regarding Cinco de Mayo  this idea is not going over well.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/05/08/border-wall-blow-up-california-bar-erects-inflatable-wall-on-cinco-de-mayo-feels-backlash-on-yelp.html

• Like 1

And so why in THIS case the phenomenon of Americans not really knowing about something that happened outside their borders be any different than in any OTHER case, James?! ;)

LOL

(...yes, it does seem the whole Cinco de Mayo celebration phenomenon has grown tremendously in the past few decades in this country, and especially after a certain and almost uniquely American twist was applied to this celebration of Mexican and Mexican-American pride...that "American twist" being of course "gross commercialization")

Wait till the whole country gets into the Day of the Dead--

El día de Los muertos--

That's a Mexican holiday that has something for everybody.

• Like 1

LOL

The Mexican beer industry is behind the gross commercialization of this foreign event.    I take my hat (or should that be sombrero) off to them for their increase in US beer market share.     As for American twist;  I you referring to a twist of lime in your beer?    Sorry, but having to put fruit \ citrus into one's beer is an indication one is drinking cheap crummy beer. 

It may( or may not) surprise you to learn that even many MEXICANS don't know that true nature.  I've lived in Southwest Detroit for nine years and had to find out what it was about when the INTERNET finally came about!  :o

Brought home by none other than CHEECH MARIN in his movie "Born In East LA"  in which he gets mistakenly deported and can only get back to America by sneaking in.  Him and a South American woman finally succeed and they sneak in through the sewer system and when they come up out of a manhole it's in the middle of a CINCO DE MAYO parade.   He then says, "Oh, yeah!  I forgot.  It's Cinco De Mayo."  When the woman asks him, "What is THAT?" he says, "I don't know,  but every year they have a big parade!"  :D

Sepiatone

It may( or may not) surprise you to learn that even many MEXICANS don't know that true nature. I've lived in Southwest Detroit for nine years and had to find out what it was about when the INTERNET finally came about! :o

Brought home by none other than CHEECH MARIN in his movie "Born In East LA" in which he gets mistakenly deported and can only get back to America by sneaking in. Him and a South American woman finally succeed and they sneak in through the sewer system and when they come up out of a manhole it's in the middle of a CINCO DE MAYO parade. He then says, "Oh, yeah! I forgot. It's Cinco De Mayo." When the woman asks him, "What is THAT?" he says, "I don't know, but every year they have a big parade!" :D

[

Sepiatone

Maybe that's because they're Americans, just like us and we don't know a lot about what goes on in foreign countries.

I grew up with a large contingent of Mexican Americans. And in my day there was so much racism and bigotry that was exactly direct and overt that many Mexican-American parents didn't want their children to learn Spanish. They didn't want them to be ridiculed--they wanted them to be all- American.

I had Mexican American friends in school who were ashamed if you called them on the phone and a relative answered speaking in Spanish.

NOW you've done it, ham!

Kraft Foods just called, and now the Miracle Whip people want equal time!

;)

• Like 1

Maybe that's because they're Americans, just like us and we don't know a lot about what goes on in foreign countries.

I grew up with a large contingent of Mexican Americans. And in my day there was so much racism and bigotry that was exactly direct and overt that many Mexican-American parents didn't want their children to learn Spanish. They didn't want them to be ridiculed--they wanted them to be all- American.

I had Mexican American friends in school who were ashamed if you called them on the phone and a relative answered speaking in Spanish.

You kinda missed the point, Princess.

Southwest Detroit is one of the largest hispanic communities in the country.  Second only probably to East LA, and I think a bit larger than in Chicago.  And in the movie, they come up from a sewer IN East LA.

And oddly enough, even in times when America was at it's most racist, on the line of my wife's birth certificate filed in WEBB COUNTY, Texas where it asks "race", the doctor signed "white".  In my grade school, we had three(to my rememberance) Mexican kids, and we didn't think of them as anything else except just being a different "nationality".  Like me and Billy Weir being Polish, or Mike Vespa being Italian, or Sammy Bokatzian and Rick Gurunian being Armenian.  Your worth was measured in what kind of bike you had and how well you handled a glove and bat.  Something OTHER than ethnicity.  Hell, we didn't even know the MEANING of the word, IF we ever even HEARD the word.

Sepiatone

You kinda missed the point, Princess.

Southwest Detroit is one of the largest hispanic communities in the country. Second only probably to East LA, and I think a bit larger than in Chicago. And in the movie, they come up from a sewer IN East LA.

And oddly enough, even in times when America was at it's most racist, on the line of my wife's birth certificate filed in WEBB COUNTY, Texas where it asks "race", the doctor signed "white". In my grade school, we had three(to my rememberance) Mexican kids, and we didn't think of them as anything else except just being a different "nationality". Like me and Billy Weir being Polish, or Mike Vespa being Italian, or Sammy Bokatzian and Rick Gurunian being Armenian. Your worth was measured in what kind of bike you had and how well you handled a glove and bat. Something OTHER than ethnicity. Hell, we didn't even know the MEANING of the word, IF we ever even HEARD the word.

Sepiatone

I think my point was well-taken for where I come from. The Catholic church had separate elementary schools for Mexican American students when they were in the majority. In the Kansas City area they were cases of these kids actually having to work in the basement or in some small room if they were Mexican and they were not in the majority.

There were Jewish people but not that many and as far as ethnic minorities who descended from Europe very few of those.

In a predominantly wasp environment you have a different zeitgeist.

PS-- Sep, I haven't met your wife. But I know full well that Mexicans are just like all other kinds of people. There are mixed race ones, mestizos,, there are white ones, very Indian ones and I've even heard that there are black ones. Maybe your wife really is a white person and that would make all the difference in the world. After all, a lot of the people I see on those Mexican soap operas

--telenovela mexicana--are white people, just like a white Cuban, like Desi Arnaz.

Also, unfortunately again, in my neck of the woods all people who were classified as Mexicans had that also written on their driver's license.

Southwest Detroit is one of the largest hispanic communities in the country.  Second only probably to East LA, and I think a bit larger than in Chicago. 

Detroit's not even in the top ten.

1) NYC

2) Los Angeles, CA

3) Houston, TX

4) San Antonio, TX

5) Chicago, IL

6) Phoenix, AZ

7) Dallas, TX

8) El Paso, TX

9) San Diego, CA

10) San Jose, CA

11) Miami, FL

That's by sheer numbers. By percentage of population, the list is

1) Laredo, TX

2) Hialeah, FL

3) Brownsville, TX

4) McAllen, TX

5) El Paso, TX

6) Santa Ana, CA

7) Oxnard, CA

8) Salinas, CA

9) Downey, CA

10) Pomona, CA

11) Miami, FL

But that isn't to say that there are not many Hispanics in the greater Detroit area. 

Detroit's not even in the top ten.

1) NYC

2) Los Angeles, CA

3) Houston, TX

4) San Antonio, TX

5) Chicago, IL

6) Phoenix, AZ

7) Dallas, TX

8) El Paso, TX

9) San Diego, CA

10) San Jose, CA

11) Miami, FL

That's by sheer numbers. By percentage of population, the list is

1) Laredo, TX

2) Hialeah, FL

3) Brownsville, TX

4) McAllen, TX

5) El Paso, TX

6) Santa Ana, CA

7) Oxnard, CA

8) Salinas, CA

9) Downey, CA

10) Pomona, CA

11) Miami, FL

But that isn't to say that there are not many Hispanics in the greater Detroit area. 

Thanks for providing this actual data because I didn't believe "Southwest Detroit is one of the largest Hispanic communities in the country".    In fact I wondered if he meant in the county.

I was going to ask how they got so far north and when.  E.g. did they come decades ago for Auto industry jobs? 

Yea, I know that Hispanics have moved from the southern parts of the country to other, more northern areas, but other than Chicago,  the largest concentration is still in border states or Florida (which 'borders' Island Hispanic nations like Cuba).

I looked up Pew Research to find where Kansas City was listed

In The Top 60 US Metropolitan areas by Hispanic population--

But ironically both Kansas City and Detroit were clustered in the middle--

#44) Kansas City Missouri/Kansas City Kansas--183,000

#45) Detroit- Warren- Dearborn MI--178,000

I think my point was well-taken for where I come from. The Catholic church had separate elementary schools for Mexican American students when they were in the majority. In the Kansas City area they were cases of these kids actually having to work in the basement or in some small room if they were Mexican and they were not in the majority.

There were Jewish people but not that many and as far as ethnic minorities who descended from Europe very few of those.

PS-- Sep, I haven't met your wife. But I know full well that Mexicans are just like all other kinds of people. There are mixed race ones, mestizos,, there are white ones, very Indian ones and I've even heard that there are black ones. Maybe your wife really is a white person and that would make all the difference in the world. After all, a lot of the people I see on those Mexican soap operas

--telenovela mexicana--are white people, just like a white Cuban, like Desi Arnaz.

Also, unfortunately again, in my neck of the woods all people who were classified as Mexicans had that also written on their driver's license.

Now why would THAT be, Princess???

Wouldn't THAT be as plain as day by just lookin' at the kind'a CAR they were drivin' around in???...

tagged_6.jpg

♫ all...my...friends...know the low rider...the...low...riiii...der...is a little higher

(...now c'mon, you HAD to know this gearhead here would go in this direction after you said that, right?!) ;)

It isn't technically correct to say that "Mexicans are just like all other kinds of people",  instead they are like most New World people in that most are a mix of native people and people that came to the New World from Europe.     People in the Old World and especially Asia and Africa are more likely to be 100% native,  especially if they are island people like those in Japan (with an exception being the people in the Philippines since they were a Spanish colony).

Are you saying that in Kansas there was a time were Mexican Americans (I.e. American Citizens) had to have 'Mexican' written on their driver's license or was it only those that were in Kansas legally but were NOT citizens?