Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2001 a space odyssey

what i want to know is how the scene in 2001 a space odyssey where the girl in the hallway walk completly verticle cause this movie was made in 1968 before the invention of blue sceens please someone tell me how it was done (if you know) cause its bugging me

Very simple. They attached the camera to the set, which was shaped like a drum. The camera would have been right at the axis at one end of the drum, looking straight into the drum. and then they rotated the entire set, including the attached camera. The girl was never anything but straight up and down, and simply stepped in place at the bottom of the drum which was rotating beneath her. I hope that makes sense.

That would be my guess as well. Although for some reason I can't think of the first movies to use it... I just get it mixed up with rear-projection in my mind.

If the wikipedia is correct then The Old Man and the Sea would have been "one of the first films" in which bluescreens were used.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Fred Astaire: Royal Wedding - 1951

Fred performs a dance routine that covers all the walls, floor and ceiling. This is the oldest film I can think of which uses the rotating set gimmick. Though I wouldn't put it past Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton to have thought it up first...

• 1 month later...

I first saw it when it came out originally in Cinerama or on a screen made to show those films. When it was rereleased a few years later I couldnt put my finger on what it was that seemed made the movie less grand. It was only years later that I discovered that it was the curved screen it was shown on originally.

Archived