Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is probably blasphemy but . . .

For example, people have to use a fork-lift to get me to a Johnny Depp, Jack Nicholson or Brad Pitt movie, but that's after seeing what they've done over a period of time and I was able to conclude it's just "not for me".>>

MissGoddess,

For my own sanity, I am thinking based on your previous posts in this forum that you do like John Wayne and find him to be a good actor.

It is Depp, Nicholson and Pitt that you don't "cotton" to at all and not the Duke.

Do I have that correct?

Miss Goddess,

John Wayne is not everybody's cup'o'java, but I do enjoy his take on the western

genre.

I would hope that you might take a gander at The Searchers.

There is a moment in that film where he conveys the brutalities

suffered by women at the hands of indians. It's reminiscent

of some of the biographical accounts of the Fort Parker

massacre at Groesbeck in Texas when Cynthia Anne

Parker was abducted. The Searchers was loosely based

on her abduction in 1836, and subsequent "rescue" many years later

when her son, Quanah Parker became leader of the Comanches.

FYI, MissGoddess earlier posted:

Posted: 03/06/2007 10:07 PST in response to: malkat in response to: malkat

Click to reply to this thread Reply

LOL! I don't think it's "blasphemy" at all, Malkat, though I don't agree. He was an actor and not a god so anyone can think as they please, that's what make these discussions interesting!

I do think he was a marvelous and supremely underrated actor. His persona and showmanship deceive many into thinking he's playing the same guy over and over but he does play against type from time to time and in True Grit he presents us with a really marvelous character.

Indeed, if Humphrey Bogart had not been available, I wonder if John Wayne would have taken the lead in The African Queen. It would have been interesting to see the chemistry he had with KH, decades before Rooster Cogburn.

> Sorry to hear... but look at the bright side, you

> still got Coop! :D

Oh yes and many, many others including, from today's crop, Russell Crowe so I don't despair! And when these actors, besides Jack who's already there, become really old I might start liking their work more. Nothing's set in stone...

>>

> For my own sanity, I am thinking based on your

> previous posts in this forum that you do like John

> Wayne and find him to be a good actor.

>

> It is Depp, Nicholson and Pitt that you don't

> "cotton" to at all and not the Duke.

>

> Do I have that correct?

Oh MY YES I really do love Duke Wayne and most of his movies! I posted earlier about how much I did. Watching him always gives me a shot in the arm of confidence, and that's primarily what draws me to his films over and over.

Miss G

Hi Sue-Sue!

I must have really expressed myself poorly in my previous post because I am most absolutely a fan of Duke Wayne and his films. He's given me many hours of pleasure and though The Searchers is such a magnificent mouthful to watch too, too often, I think its a masterpiece.

What I wanted to say was I understand if others just don't get him, especially if they haven't actually sat down and given his films a try. I don't expect everyone to like the same things---even if I think it's impossible not to like Gary Cooper--lol!!! (just kidding).

Miss G

Thanks, Cinemascope, for reprinting my post. I can see I didn't express myself clearly enough....

....now to search for a nice John Wayne picture to post so no one can mistake my admiration for the Duke... ;)

Miss G

I thought Duke and Katie made such a cute pair in Rooster and I agree, it is a shame they did not work together before. She always had such nice things to say about working with him....loved a comment she made once about his feet: "He had the tiniest feet for such a big man, and no behind, no behind at all!" Lol! OK, Katie.

Lauren Bacall adored him too. In fact, I've observed that he is one of those rare birds that got along with almost all of his leading ladies, and if you really consider it, he is quite generous in his scenes with them, allowing them the lion's share of the focus. And he just seems to get along so well with them that's it's difficult for me to think of one actress he had no chemistry with at all. Even the most incongruous pairings (Lana Turner, Lauren Bacall, Kate Hepburn) seemed comfortable. Sophia Loren is the only one I might say didn't quite fit with him, but that may just be the language issue, which she was still mastering.

Miss G

They were great together. Too bad the film was only fair. I think the scene where Duke is forcing her to leave is really wonderful.

I was watching a little of the commentary on "The Quiet Man" last night by Maureen O'Hara and I know she loved Duke. He even was good friends with her husband and socialized often. They are a great duo as well.

I think John Wayne is an acquired taste.

I myself was a bit put off by him myself in the beginning - the only reason I gave him a chance was because he was my late father's favorite actor. Also, the genres you see him most in - westerns and war films, are not my favorite genres, generally speaking.

That said, my opinion changed when I watched two films in fairly close succession - THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA and STAGECOACH.

IMO, John Wayne's entrance is STAGECOACH is one of the best entrances in classic film..and certainly THE best in the western genre.

But the entrance wasn't the only thing. Both of these films were well made and held my attention. I'd watch other John Wayne pictures now, for sure.

Now, he'll never be my favorite actor or anything...but I do have an appreciation for him that I didn't have at one time.

I have both the "Collector's Edition DVD" with the Maureen O'Hara commentary and a laserdisc of the 40th anniversary edition, which also has some nice extras. I haven't had a chance to do a very detailed comparison of the picture quality.

Movieman,

I think Cinesage posted just this past fall that Paramount worked a deal with Lion's Gate Entertainment and as part of that deal, Lion's Gate now owns the DVD rights to The Quiet Man.

He was concerned as I recall that it would be just a basic job with no restoration and no extras.