Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest

This network STINKS!!!

Recommended Posts

Guest

Where can I start? I used to like this network until recently, when I discovered:

 

1) Turner library: I love the films from this library, but I don't like the owner (AOL/TW). I HATE the way the studios are run today (i.e. Sony owning MGM's historic backlot, every studio being owned by a conglomerate, etc.). From looking at back issues of their Viewer's Guide and watching an old tape of them with Nick Clooney, AMC was BETTER than TCM! Before AMC went to hell and started endless showings of films like Predator and Jaws, they had 5,000 titles to choose from (basically, every other classic film except MGM and pre-48 Warner Bros. That way, you'd get to see all the Paramounts, 20th Century-Foxs, Universal-Internationals and others! TCM only shows 3 or 5 Fox films, and they are all the same! TCM use to show 15 or 20 pre-48 Paramount titles, but now that's stopped. And what did AMC pay? They hardly payed anything because the studios all leased them AMC's titles!

 

2) Bollywood: AMC never aired this kind of crap. I am also worried about all the new films like Austin Powers, and those commercials which says that crap like Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets are classics! NOTHING from after 1967 is a "classic"! Foreign films (except British) seem to be from a completely different atmosphere. I live in a small town of 5,300 that had two theaters: one played "A" movies within 2-3 months of their release, and the other played "B" movies only. The "A" theater did show nearly all English films because they were released through major American distributors (i.e. United Artists, Universal-International, Selznick, etc.) Since most of us are WASP, we can relate to these films, just as much as we can relate to Hollywood films that take place in another country. We can't relate to a film in another language.

 

And last of all...

 

3) Letterboxing: I absolutely HATE letterboxing! Those dog-ugly black boxes are so distracting that it actually makes the film look NEW! They are just as distracting as those pesky network IDs you see in the lower right corner of every other network. Even films that weren't photographed in CinemaScope or VistaVision or Panavision (i.e., films photographed on a conventional camera) are presented in letterbox! When AMC letterboxed a film it was only during primetime.

 

So what I'm saying is...TCM SUCKS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a little contradictory to argue against foreign films and for older films at the same time. Your argument that because most of us are WASP (excluding me) we can't relate to foreign films is very similar to the argument that since most of us are young we can't relate to older movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am quite satisfied with the TCM movie library, which keeps me (and my VCR) busy year-round. I also enjoy occasionally exploring unfamiliar film genres. No, I didn't tune in to every week of the Bollywood festival, but I did watch a few of the included films - some I liked, some I didn't - and I appreciate TCM for providing me with the chance to familiarize myself with, and form my own opinion of, Bollywood films.

On the subject of letterboxing, I will hardly ever watch a film that has been formatted to fit my television. It just drives me up the wall wondering what I'm missing. You really lose a lot when only half of the picture is showing.

Of course, this is all a matter of opinion and I'm well aware that not everyone shares mine.

The good news: TCM is most often offered as part of a satellite or upper-tier cable package. That means that cjrogan has plent of other channels to choose from, should TCM not fit his/her taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that you've had your petty little "Rant", cjrogan2003, I sincerely hope that you'll leave us with a bit of fresh air here again for a while. The AMC channel/website seems the perfect place for you to do all of your viewing and any residual "ranting".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here on the TCM boards you are entitled to your opinion Cj

although your attack on perhaps the only genuine classic movie station we have left was severe.

I for one will continue to watch and support TCM since I love old classic films, interviews and commentery.

Perhaps after you scout around the dials for something else to equel TCM and realize there is zilch out there you'll come back and join us once again.

Perhaps you just had a bad day.

 

Mongo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you're entitled to your opinionated ranting, CJrogan, but:

 

"1) Turner library: I love the films from this library, but I don't like the owner (AOL/TW)."

 

What does that have to do with the films or the TCM library? The films are what matters here.

 

"I HATE the way the studios are run today (i.e. Sony owning MGM's historic backlot, every studio being owned by a conglomerate, etc.)."

 

Again.....WHAT does that have to do with the film library on TCM? NOTHING.

 

"From looking at back issues of their Viewer's Guide and watching an old tape of them with Nick Clooney, AMC was BETTER than TCM! Before AMC went to hell and started endless showings of films like Predator and Jaws, they had 5,000 titles to choose from (basically, every other classic film except MGM and pre-48 Warner Bros. That way, you'd get to see all the Paramounts, 20th Century-Foxs, Universal-Internationals and others! TCM only shows 3 or 5 Fox films, and they are all the same! TCM use to show 15 or 20 pre-48 Paramount titles, but now that's stopped. And what did AMC pay? They hardly payed anything because the studios all leased them AMC's titles!"

 

Ok....but that was BEFORE AMC went to hell. Now, they show the same old crud (which can be seen on almost ANY channel these days) over and OVER again. I happen to like TCM's selection....and I never watch AMC anymore. TCM can only show films which they have broadcast rights to.....and their selection has obviously grown as they've acquired rights to more and more films, some of which used to be almost exclusive to AMC (such as many of the Universal horror classics), and obviously AMC couldn't show some of those MGM or WB titles because TCM had the broadcast rights.

 

"2) Bollywood: AMC never aired this kind of crap. I am also worried about all the new films like Austin Powers, and those commercials which says that crap like Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets are classics! NOTHING from after 1967 is a "classic"!"

 

WRONG! Have you ever seen the explanatory spot that TCM runs now and then, with Robert Osborne explaining why they show a more modern movie now and then. It's a perfect explanation as to why TCM shows movies after 1967. It makes perfect sense to me, IMHO.....you obviously just don't get it. AMC has no business calling themselves "American Movie CLASSICS" because virtually everything they show nowadays is a film from recent years....and the term "classic" encompasses so much more.

 

"Foreign films (except British) seem to be from a completely different atmosphere. I live in a small town of 5,300 that had two theaters: one played "A" movies within 2-3 months of their release, and the other played "B" movies only. The "A" theater did show nearly all English films because they were released through major American distributors (i.e. United Artists, Universal-International, Selznick, etc.) Since most of us are WASP, we can relate to these films, just as much as we can relate to Hollywood films that take place in another country. We can't relate to a film in another language."

 

You have a serious problem there, sir/madam....I have nothing against the Bollywood festival that TCM had, but I do happen to LIKE foreign films....and I personally CAN relate to a film done in another language. "Except British"? You mean because the spoken language s English, I think. Sorry....this part of your post almost reeked of some kind of bigotry, at least that's how it read to me.

 

"3) Letterboxing: I absolutely HATE letterboxing! Those dog-ugly black boxes are so distracting that it actually makes the film look NEW! They are just as distracting as those pesky network IDs you see in the lower right corner of every other network. Even films that weren't photographed in CinemaScope or VistaVision or Panavision (i.e., films photographed on a conventional camera) are presented in letterbox! When AMC letterboxed a film it was only during primetime."

 

Again.....you just don't get it. Have you ever seen that short spot which TCM runs, with the full explanation of letterboxing and WHY they run it? And "films photographed in a coventional camera"....What you're referring to there are films shot in a 1.85:1 "matted ratio", which....in most cases.....are shot full-frame (aka "conventional camera" to your mind), but composed and designed to be shown JUST as TCM shows them. The other formats can be anywhere from a 2.20:1 ratio to a 2.35:1 ratio (Cinemascope or Panavision).....and when you see them panned-and-scanned, you're only getting about HALF of the image you saw in theaters.

 

"So what I'm saying is...TCM *****!!!"

 

Well, so does some of your rantings. Go watch AMC (aka American Money Crud) then.

 

Methinks this board has been TROLLED.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking this was all just someone pulling your leg.

If you think about it everything this person posted was to push buttons. No one could seriously be this ignorant.

This person is probably getting a kick that they were taken seriously. Just my thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I was only kidding. I DO like the Turner library (seriously), but I do dislike Bollywood and the Friday night foreign film (I'm asleep so I won't miss it), as well as newer films. I have seen the letterbox short with directors Ron Howard, Barry Levinson and Martin Scorsese. What Robert Osbourne shourt are you talking about where he says why TCM airs 80s and 90s films?

 

I do apologize for my rude comments. I do like TCM for seeing films in their true Technicolor, not in some

washed-out Metrocolor reprint from the 60s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I was only kidding.

> I DO like the Turner

> library (seriously)

 

...then stop posting comments like that, because people are taking them seriously, and they're not funny to begin with.

 

> but I do dislike

> Bollywood and the Friday night foreign film (I'm

> asleep so I won't miss it), as well as newer films.

 

Whatever.....

 

> I

> have seen the letterbox short with directors Ron

> Howard, Barry Levinson and Martin Scorsese.

 

...and you still don't get it? What size television are you watching on? I have a 27" tv and have NO problem with letterboxing. Maybe your tv is too small?

 

> What

> Robert Osbourne shourt are you talking about where he

> says why TCM airs 80s and 90s films?

 

Yes...

 

> I do apologize for my rude comments. I

> do like TCM for seeing films in their true

> Technicolor, not in some

> washed-out Metrocolor reprint from the 60s.

 

...then again: Stop posting rude comments like that because they're NOT funny.

 

As far as the color subject....TCM (or any channel, for that matter) can ONLY show what's available to them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like AMC has a few of thier Executives signing into the TCM website as "Spy's". Listen I can't argue with your comments about Bollywood, that was a huge blunder by TCM that did turn alot of fans off! Also you may have a point with the excessive letterboxing. I saw The Blob Letterboxed the other night, Why? However when you post a headline that states "This network Stinks!!!" you have offended me, Sir! I never really thought much of classic movies before I got TCM, I never saw any of the classics and couldn't imagine watching a silent movies. Well, years later silent movies are my favorite genre of movies, all because of TCM. I mean to be able to come to a channel that is showing a Buster Keaton movie or a Mary Pickford movie, it is precious! I can honestly say that this was the first place I saw Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, The General, The Gold Rush, etc......I hope other people doubtful of old movies will become believers too when they watch TCM for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Looks like AMC has a few of thier Executives signing

> into the TCM website as "Spy's".

 

To whom are you referring? Certainly not me, because I don't watch AMC anymore.

 

> Listen I can't argue

> with your comments about Bollywood, that was a huge

> blunder by TCM that did turn alot of fans off!

 

"Blunder" in what sense, and how do you know it "turned a lot of fans off"? They showed movies from India....no different than showing movies from any other country.

 

> Also

> you may have a point with the excessive letterboxing.

> I saw The Blob Letterboxed the other night, Why?

 

Why?...because THAT'S the orginal theatrical aspect ratio for the movie. That's also the correct ratio that the Criterion Collection released it originally on laserdisc, and more recently on DVD. Try comparing the widescreen BLOB to the full-frame version, and it's very obvious that there's a lot of excess space at the top and bottom of the image frame....the movie was meant to be shown in its 1.85:1 theatrical ratio.

 

Also define "excessive"? If a movie was composed for, and meant to be shown in a particular ratio, why show it otherwise? Have you ever read about some movies where people have commented about seeing "the microphone in the picture" or the "top of the backdrop or set"? The reason is because a filmlike that is not being shown in its original matted widescreen ratio, and such things were never MEANT to be seen. Same thing applies to THE BLOB.

 

> However when you post a headline that states "This

> network Stinks!!!" you have offended me, Sir!

 

Same here....which is why I responded the way I did to a subject line (and a message) that didn't come across as funny at all to me.

 

> I never

> really thought much of classic movies before I got

> TCM, I never saw any of the classics and couldn't

> imagine watching a silent movies. Well, years later

> silent movies are my favorite genre of movies, all

> because of TCM. I mean to be able to come to a

> channel that is showing a Buster Keaton movie or a

> Mary Pickford movie, it is precious! I can honestly

> say that this was the first place I saw Casablanca,

> Gone with the Wind, The General, The Gold Rush,

> etc......I hope other people doubtful of old movies

> will become believers too when they watch TCM for the

> first time.

 

Really? I've been a lover of the classics since I was a kid, and actually saw many, MANY silent films for the first time when I was younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, kriegerg69 (my friend) I actually met that I thought cjrogan2003 was a Spy from AMC! I am the biggest fan of classic movies being shown in thier correct ratio. I guess I just don't really think of The Blob as a canditate along the lines of Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, Ben Hur etc...that needs to be widesreened. I guess I just look out for the "average joe" who has to watch a 10-13" Television screen. I happen to fit the TCM younger demographic, so many of the silent movies or classics that were shown on PBS or other stations over the years I was too young to enjoy so I really have been getting my fill of these great movies for the past 5 years!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this network and it's gotten me into watching old movies, whether they be the "classics" like Gone With the Wind or West Side Story or those old, campy horror flicks like "The Blob", which is one of my personal favorites, due to Steve McQueen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! I cannot believe the goings on here over the past couple of days. Cjrogan - you have a hellava nerve posting such a HEATED and HIGHLY MIS-INFORMED opinion of TCM. I don't care if you were "kidding" or not - I'm still **** off after reading it. I'm glad others have put you in your place, because it is HIGHLY OFFENSIVE to all of us. Perhaps you have too much time on your hands living in that small town of yours. Go play a prank on the milkman and leave us ALONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering how friendly everyone is on these boards, I really hate to get in someone else's face, but come on - that was a really low blow.

 

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you really should educate yourself on the purpose of letterboxing. I can't believe that there are still people out there who just don't get it when it comes to letterboxing, and are so ignorant about it. Please understand that the great studios and directors of the film world were not thinking about the size of your T.V. when they were creating their cinematic works of art. And as for foreign films, all I can say is you're missing out. If you only allow yourself to watch films that were made in a language that you understand, then you are simply missing some of the greatest cinematic experiences that you can have. And please, lets ALL OF US stop talking about how great AMC USED to be - fact is, it now STINKS, and reminiscing about it is just plain stupid. AMC is gone from the galaxy of classic film, and is really not worth mentioning anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the heck did you do to me and all my posts? Why are all my posts from before August simply say "GUEST"? I thought TCM abandoned guests registering last December. PLEASE tell my why I am a GUEST!!??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is truly ridiculous and infantile....This REPETITIVE post by "Guest" is obviously crogan (whatever the name is) repeating himself/herself/itself under an anonymous name. If you despise TCM so much, stay away from the boards here....Just go away and leave us true film lovers ALONE, and stop cluttering the board with your ranting.

 

> Where can I start? I used to like this network until

> recently, when I discovered:

>

> 1) Turner library: I love the films from this

> library, but I don't like the owner (AOL/TW). I HATE

> the way the studios are run today (i.e. Sony owning

> MGM's historic backlot, every studio being owned by a

> conglomerate, etc.). From looking at back issues of

> their Viewer's Guide and watching an old tape of them

> with Nick Clooney, AMC was BETTER than TCM! Before

> AMC went to hell and started endless showings of

> films like Predator and Jaws, they had

> 5,000 titles to choose from (basically, every other

> classic film except MGM and pre-48 Warner Bros. That

> way, you'd get to see all the Paramounts, 20th

> Century-Foxs, Universal-Internationals and others!

> TCM only shows 3 or 5 Fox films, and they are all the

> same! TCM use to show 15 or 20 pre-48 Paramount

> titles, but now that's stopped. And what did AMC pay?

> They hardly payed anything because the studios all

> leased them AMC's titles!

 

...then go watch AMC and shut up already.

 

> 2) Bollywood: AMC never aired this kind

> of crap. I am also worried about all the new films

> like Austin Powers, and those commercials

> which says that crap like Sleepless in Seattle

> and As Good As It Gets are classics! NOTHING

> from after 1967 is a "classic"! Foreign films (except

> British) seem to be from a completely different

> atmosphere. I live in a small town of 5,300 that had

> two theaters: one played "A" movies within 2-3 months

> of their release, and the other played "B" movies

> only. The "A" theater did show nearly all English

> films because they were released through major

> American distributors (i.e. United Artists,

> Universal-International, Selznick, etc.) Since most

> of us are WASP, we can relate to these films, just as

> much as we can relate to Hollywood films that take

> place in another country. We can't relate to a film

> in another language.

 

Your comments about foreign films are bigoted and racist....and why ASSUME that most of us are WASP. That's simply NOT true, you racist!

 

> And last of all...

>

> 3) Letterboxing: I absolutely HATE

> letterboxing! Those dog-ugly black boxes are so

> distracting that it actually makes the film look NEW!

> They are just as distracting as those pesky network

> IDs you see in the lower right corner of every other

> network. Even films that weren't photographed in

> CinemaScope or VistaVision or Panavision (i.e., films

> photographed on a conventional camera) are presented

> in letterbox! When AMC letterboxed a film it was only

> during primetime.

 

"Scope" films are in a 2.35:1 ratio.....Other such "conventional" films you referred to (and rather uneducatedly, I might add) are generally in a 1.85:1 "matted" ratio....and the whole POINT of letterboxing is to preserve the image composition as it was seen theatrically and was MEANT to be seen.

 

> So what I'm saying is...TCM SUCKS!!!

 

So do you and your uneducated, bigoted, and racist comments. Don't go away mad.....JUST GO AWAY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> What the heck did you do to me and all my posts? Why

> are all my posts from before August simply say

> "GUEST"? I thought TCM abandoned guests registering

> last December. PLEASE tell my why I am a GUEST!!??

 

Ignore my reply above....I made a mistake and accidentally went to the beginning of this thread, thinking it was a new post.

 

 

You ask WHY? Probably because you deserve it. All anyone has to do is read through your rantings, and they'll understand WHY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Krieger69, you have unfortunately played right into CJRogan's hand and brought his/her obnoxious posts right back to the top of the list where they will receive everyone's full attention again. My advice is to ignore this person unless he/she personally attacks you. If that happens, then you can do what I did and have TCM delete his/her posts from the board. The less attention we pay to these kind of people, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kriegerg69, you are truly ridiculous and infantile. I love TCM, except for three things, VERY different this time:

1) Showing more Cheap-O-Color (Eastmancolor, Metrocolor, Warnercolor, DeLuxe, Pathecolor, etc.) films than those in three-strip Technicolor.

 

2) Continously showing poor, faded Eastmancolor dupes of Technicolor films

 

3) Airing new films from the 80s and 90s. I like this cinematography salute, but I am SO annoyed about them airing the Saturday Night Live cast.

 

Let me add one more thing to boot: TCM's movie openers are NOTHING compared to the ultimate opener. Do you remember it?

It begins in a foggy atmosphere. When the cloud breaks, we can see cars in a suburban neighborhood. Slowly, we race down the street past all these houses, which slowly takes us to the big downtown of the city. When we get past the skyscrapers, we zoom up to the stars. A large star, centered in the middle, shines brighter and brighter and brighter until it explodes, leaving behind little stars and a giant silver monolith. The giant silver monolith slowly moves down from the center of the screen and it reveals itself to be a giant "HBO". As the big letters get closer, they rotate clockwise. When the big "H" gets to the very center of the screen, we turn around southwest over to the "O", which has multicolored laser beams going around it. The outside of the "O" disappears, and it takes us into the center of the "O", with all these rainbow lasers spinning around the "O" in a counterclockwise direction. We then get over to one, and it forms the big letters HBO FEATURE PRESENTATION. A final laser beam makes it disappear.

 

Remember that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...