Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

This network STINKS!!!

This is truly repetitive and infantile. This REPETITIVE post by "Guest":

1) Turner library: I love the films from this library, but I don't like the owner (AOL/TW). I HATE the way the studios are run today (i.e. Sony owning MGM's historic backlot, every studio being owned by a conglomerate, etc.). From looking at back issues of their Viewer's Guide and watching an old tape of them with Nick Clooney, AMC was BETTER than TCM! Before AMC went to hell and started endless showings of films like Predator and Jaws, they had 5,000 titles to choose from (basically, every other classic film except MGM and pre-48 Warner Bros. That way, you'd get to see all the Paramounts, 20th Century-Foxs, Universal-Internationals and others! TCM only shows 3 or 5 Fox films, and they are all the same! TCM use to show 15 or 20 pre-48 Paramount titles, but now that's stopped. And what did AMC pay? They hardly payed anything because the studios all leased them AMC's titles!

Excuse me, but TCM does air non-library films. They have access to 13 20th Century-Fox titles, including The Song of Bernadette, The Mark of Zorro, The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, Blood and Sand, The Black Swan and Bright Eyes, among others. They own a large collection of Universal films, including almost 100 titles from Paramount's pre-1950 library. So they do have films from other studios.

2) Bollywood: AMC never aired this kind of crap. I am also worried about all the new films like Austin Powers, and those commercials which says that crap like Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets are classics! NOTHING from after 1967 is a "classic"! Foreign films seem to be from a completely different atmosphere.

I can't agree with you more about Bollywood. Bollywood was a ridiculous decision to make. It would be like if ABC's Saturday Night Movie was something like Casablanca: out of place with the network, out of touch. Speaking of new crap, did you know that TNT is airing Chris Rock's HORRIBLE remake of Down to Earth. This has NOTHING to do with the excellent Rita Hayworth Technicolor musical from 1947 in which she plays a very pretty Terpsichore. Get that one instead.

3) Letterboxing: I absolutely HATE letterboxing! Those dog-ugly black boxes are so distracting that it actually makes the film look NEW! They are just as distracting as those pesky network IDs you see in the lower right corner of every other network. Even films that weren't photographed in CinemaScope or VistaVision or Panavision (i.e., films photographed on a conventional camera) are presented in letterbox! When AMC letterboxed a film it was only during primetime.

My big problem is not letterboxing, but the lack of Technicolor films. Eastmancolor films can one minute be in full color, the next minute jump to pink-out. They are horribly faded, and Technicolor (three-strip, 1934-1955, dye-transfer from Eastmancolor negatives 1952-1974) never does suffer from that problem. Even today, with all the "technological" advances, films are inferior to dye-transfer Technicolor.

So what I'm saying is...TCM *****!!!

Don't say that.

I think bollywood is great, i dont see how anyone couldnt like it other than they need to change the name because Indian people find it offensive. I love TCM and how they give interesting facts about this and that before the movie starts and when it ends, TCM is my own personal learning station. I appreciate it, but thats just me...oh well

after reading the original post, the only thing i can say is this...if you don't like it, don't watch it.

wasn't that a simple solution? i recommend that 'guest' practices this solution as often as possible.

I looked at AMC's schedule twice and both times it was bad. But I always find movies I want to see on this station. This movie shows more movies that aren't on video. You're completely wrong.This is to the "This network stinks" message.