Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What makes a film "epic"

bggalaxy

What or how makes a film "An Epic Motion Picture" "A Film Of Epic Proportions" "An Epic in the Making" "An Epic Story" What films are epic and what makes them "Epic". I get the feeling this word was/is used to freely, you can almost say to "Epic Proportions". Does epic have to be of historical topics? Any thoughts would be cool.

I don't know what makes a film an "Epic", but I do agree with you that it used a lot today, and in the past. i've seen it used with films that how they would be epics it boggles the mind.

I don't think epics have to be historical, though many seem to be, at least in the old days when historical films were more prevalent.

I think an epic has multiple stories within it, each with a beginning, middle, and end, tied together by a main plotline.

Epic and episodic are almost synonyms, so if a movie can be divided up into episodes it's an epic.

That could be explained better, but I got a good grip on the subject.

I agree with both of you regarding "epics," but I would throw this in too. A movie with an epic scope frequently takes place at a distinguished point in history but follows a very personal story that is affected by its historic background (e.g., Gone With the Wind, Titanic).