Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]TCM Programmer[/b]: sound problems (e.g [i]Of Human Hearts[/i]) ???

[nobr]Of Human Hearts had a sound problem that was rather odd but not unprecedented.[/nobr]

The sound effects track was extremely pronounced, louder than and dominating over the dialogue track.

Last month, can't recall the film (think it was a b&w Jennifer Jones flick) the only sound playing at all was the sound effects track - there was no music and no dialogue audible.

What's going on TCM Programmer?

Thanks.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

I've noticed this on three different viewings of this film....and on three separate TV sets. The first viewing was in 2002.

There is definitely something wrong with the film's soundtrack. It sounds almost like the sound effects (footsteps especially) have been recently re-recorded by some overly enthusiastic foley people. And on the mix track, the sound effects are much too loud and crisp. During one of the war montages, the accompanying music also sounds like it was recently recorded.

Most likely explanation, IMHO.

I once had a horrible time with a VHS copy of I Married a Witch and was convinced it was a duplication problem. Exchanged it, same problem.

Imagine my surprise when the soundtrack had the same problem in the print that gets shown on TCM *smacks self*

[nobr]Possible, but am not convinced because of the precedent: there was another film aired last month (again, cannot recall the title save that it was, if memory serves, a black&white Jennifer Jones flick) in which the exact same thing occurred but even worse - for whilst the sound effects track was abnormally distinct (like someone below mentioned - like it was a re-record, even), that was the only audible thing. The dialogue and incidental music track was completely muted.[/nobr]

So it was an identical sort of incident, only more so.

Was funky and sort of interesting, but completely unviewable.

Am surprised it wasn't mentioned at the time on the boards; I thought about doing so but didn't get round to it.

But I know what you speak of, CS. Your example: I Married A Witch is definitely in need of a restoration.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]