Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks for RARE FRANK CAPRA! Please air more of his early Columbia films

This is what excites me the most about TCM's recent licensing arrangement with Columbia...

I am grateful to TCM for showing a few extremely rare, never-on-home-video FRANK CAPRA films, from early in his directorial career. It was thrilling to see "Dirigible" (with Jack Holt & Fay Wray) and "Forbidden" (with the great Barbara Stanwyck).

I'd just like to put in a request for more CAPRA rarities please please please! Sony/Columbia doesn't seem likely to release his earliest work on DVD...

http://former.imdb.com/name/nm0001008/filmotype

"That Certain Thing" (1928), "Submarine" (1928, "The Power Of The Press" (1928), "The Younger Generation" (1929), "Rain Or Shine" (1930), etc.

These are the sorts of obscure films that people spend a lifetime trying to track down...and many never do. This is what TCM does best: bring long-lost treasures - movies that simply aren't available anywhere else - back into public awareness... making filmlovers' and collectors' dreams come true.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that TCM's airing Capra's most famous, easily available films, during his birthday tribute in May. It would've been a great opportunity to unearth more rarities and let the world see the beginnings of this great filmmaker and how he evolved... but I hope there'll be other opportunities.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that TCM's airing Capra's most famous, easily available films, during his birthday tribute in May. It would've been a great opportunity to unearth more rarities and let the world see the beginnings of this great filmmaker and how he evolved... but I hope there'll be other opportunities.

Agree 100%

[nobr]Don't give a rat's about what 'coulda been' (for I am not all that impressed with Capra's earlier work for I feel it pales in comparison to his later work); what I want to know is if we are getting privvy to (finally?) It's A Wonderful Life come this (reported) tribute in May?[/nobr]

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

I tried to express my disappointment politely, and made sure to express my gratitude as well. So tell me, SamTherapy - why must you be such a JERK? I "don't give a rat's ****" if YOU have seen Frank Capra's earlier work and didn't care for it. How about thinking about someone other than yourself?

You're damn lucky you've had a chance to see these rarities, so why go out of your way to express such a negative, dismissive comment about them, which might discourage TCM from airing the films for the rest of us? All of Capra's fans (and film historians in general) have a right to see and judge his early work for ourselves. Whether they are as great as his most famous films, is beside the point. It's fascinating for historical reasons if nothing else, to see the beginning and evolution of a great filmmaker's work. Besides, I'm sure everything Capra did is worth watching - I found much to enjoy in "Dirigible" and "Forbidden", which have aired on TCM.

Why are you complaining about "It's A Wonderful LIfe" not airing on TCM when that movie is the most common, easily available of all Frank Capra's films? Do you know how many times it's aired on TV and been released on VHS and DVD over the years? I own every edition. The recent 60th Anniversary DVD is the best yet, and very inexpensive. So why the heck don't you just buy it if you want to watch it, and let the rest of us ask TCM for rare movies that are unavailable to purchase. Sheesh.

Amen to the prior post on this subject. I am also tired of people like Sam Therapy who apparently has nothing better to do than criticize. Get a life! The main reason I even have cable is for TCM and its showing of rare and early films which I'd never find on video, DVD or anywhere else. Many of Capra's later efforts are available for sale. And why someone would want TCM to air "It's A Wonderful Life" is beyond my comprehension. This film is one of the most widely shown available films of all.

Every year NBC runs it around the holidays. Last year they aired it on two different occasions. I certainly hope the majority of TCM's viewers would rather view some rare, vintage Capra versus the same thing over and over and over.

One last thing...

I started this thread hoping others would join me in showing TCM how much interest there is in Frank Capra's early Columbia films. I think it would be a shame if they didn't take advantage of their access to Columbia's vaults, by unearthing rare Capra films that haven't been seen by the general public since their initial theatrical release in the 1920s & '30s... so very many years ago.

Frank Capra was probably THE most important person who ever worked at Columbia, responsible for raising the studio up from lowly Poverty Row status, to compete with other majors like MGM, Warner, etc. What could be more natural and fitting than to celebrate Capra's Columbia films that started it all? Because although they might not be as well-known today as "It's A Wonderful Life", "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", etc, these early Capra films were substantial hits in their day. They deserve to be rediscovered.

Remember how successful the Richard Dix threads in this forum were? He's an actor who's been forgotten by the general public, and most of his films are unlikely to make it to DVD. TCM is probably the ONLY WAY his fans would ever be able to see more of his work. When TCM aired a few of his films, many viewers discovered him for the first time and were eager to see more. And happily, TCM listened to the requests.

Imagine how frustrating and tragic it would've been if someone like SamTherapy had ruined that fan campaign by entering the discussion to say "Who gives a rat's about Richard Dix? I've seen all those other films of his and *I* didn't care for them. You don't need to see them. TCM doesn't need to air them." That's why I got so angry about his selfish negativity in this thread.

The Richard Dix example proves that TCM does listen to the posters here. I would like to encourage Frank Capra fans to make this thread a similar success! Did you see DIRIGIBLE or FORBIDDEN? Do you want to see more? Follow the link to the IMDb that I provided in my first post ...see who starred in Capra's films...(calling all Barbara Stanwyck fans!) ...read the overwhelmingly positive IMDb reviews, and maybe you'll become intrigued.

I know that Frank Capra has many fans...I don't know how many of them visit this forum. Please speak up!

HI CC---I love Capra and any opportunity to see his early, rare films is like finding buried treasure. I'll add my "kudos" to TCM for doing so and hope they continue the good work! :) :) :)

Your opening post's closing paragraph - that tsk'd TCM's airing of Capra's most famous films only instead of adding at least SOME of his seldom seen others - is what I believe, too.

The insertion of Robert Osbourne & Co. is ONLY done for educational purposes. And I appreciate their tidbits and discussions - I could probably enjoy even more.

So why not match up some of a director's or star's more obscure films? Especially in their 'festival like' formats?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you TCM for scheduling Capra's "The Miracle Woman".... it's available in a Barbara Stanwyck collection in region 2, but not on region 1 DVD. I'm also glad "Forbidden" is going to be on again - Capra's direction and Stanwyck's excellent, heartfelt performance elevate the film far above other melodramas of it's type.

Please keep the rare Frank Capra films coming!