Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I personally find "Laura" (1944), a mixed bag.

While Clifton Webb (in his first film) was brillant especially in his scenes with Vincent Price, Dana Andrews does a very poor job in his role (throwing out lines in a monotone and standing around like a cigar store indian).

Tierney herself really doesn't do much here except model clothes and hairstyles. The whole film feels like someone wanted to make a Noir, but didn't want to get their hands dirty.

This film probably would have not gone anywhere if it had not been for Walter Winchell's backing.

While there are some good points to this film (Webb's wonderful voiceover, Webb's and VP's performances, Laura's theme music which actually became a Jazz standard) they are overshadowed by bad pacing and a plot that is somewhat laughable when viewed today.

As for Tierney in this role: although she herself stuggles to be a strong independant woman, in the men's eyes she is simply a prize to be fought over. This I feel, is the central point (and flaw) of the film.

If you are a fan of GT I reccomend "Leave Her To Heaven" (1947). Tierney has much more room in this film to make the role her own and does some fine work.

The sets and location shots are beautiful as well (3 strip Technicolor) and the storyline is quite gripping.

Laura is one of my all-time favorite movies and I even got to see it last year on the big screen. I think all the actors and actresses are perfectly cast. It's probably my favorite performance by both Dana Andrews and Gene Tienery. I could watch it daily.

Miss G

Webb's "Waldo Lydecker" has so many wonderful lines, especially whenever he sees or even thinks about Vincent Price's "Shelby": "...a male beauty in distress." Lol! He was a unique figure in Hollywood films, irreplaceable.

Yes. I quite agree. But really, I think this was one of Webb's best roles. I've seen him in a couple of other things, and he is always good. But he really stole the show in this film. Which was hard to do given the strength of this cast and the jobs they all put in.

I actually got to see Laura at The Museum of Modern Art here in NYC, and it was fabulous to have an audience (full house!) to share the laughter over Waldo's outrageousness. :) I wish I could go to see these things more often, since New York does have more revivals and retrospectives than most cities.

The Film Forum in downtown Manhattan is another great venue; the ticket prices are about on par, even a little less, than current-run ticket prices and sometimes you get to see a double-feature! Or some star might show up to open and close the films with remarks (the most recent showing of a rare John Cromwell pre-code had his son, actor James Cromwell speaking. Unfortunately, I got sick and couldn't go).

There's nothing like seeing these movies on a big screen. For me, it's like seeing them for the first time.

Miss G

Actually, I'm going to scour TCM's whole schedule this month (something I'm generall lax about doing) because they have been showing some real gems lately and I want them recorded in case they disappear for a long time.

There are ALOT of good films coming on this month (and next month too) that I don't recall ever seeing on TCM.

I'm totally diggin' on the detective films. I just spent the past two evenings with Basil Rathbone (who I've always though is fabulous - and have thought that LONG before I watched my first Sherlock Holmes film, courtesy of Errol Flynn flicks)...and tonight I will probably put a dent in those Lone Wolf films I have stacked up on TiVo.

Great month indeed!

I like Basil, too. He always delivered a first rater performance. His work in Garbo's ANNA KARENINNA is to me on par with Sir Ralph Richardson's in the later version with Vivien Leigh.

I wish I had taped those Lone Wolf movies. They sound like they're a lot of fun.

Actually, I'm going to scour TCM's whole schedule this month (something I'm generall lax about doing) because they have been showing some real gems lately and I want them recorded in case they disappear for a long time.

Have you seen the 1936 Show Boat? It is a fairly rare movie and not available on DVD.. it shows near the end of the month :)

> Yes, I have seen both MGM Showboats. While it's not

> my favorite musical, I did enjoy the performances of

> Irene Dunne and Ava Gardner in each, as well as the

> singing of "Old Man River".

>

> Miss G

It's a great song!

So has anyone seen Fallen Angel? I may have to start a new thread so people can find it easily. :)

• 2 weeks later...