Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Analog Television Sets Outlawed

> And I hope you don't

> have a grudge against me.

Naaa. We all are friends here and sometimes we go off on one kind of rant or another. I'm famous for "The End is Near" rant, which no one will let me forget.

So Fred:

According to your list re: Walmart TVs, I am one of the screwed. Is that what you're telling me? Because my TV certainly did not cost more than $500.00, in fact it was considerably less, more like around $300.00 I think.

Anne

Anne,

You are on Dish network aren't you?

The analog problem only targets those individuals or families who are only getting over the air television (local and affiliate broadcasts such as NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS) .

If you are currently watching television on satellite (Dish or DirecTV) then you do not need to buy another television, your television is capable of reading a digital signal.

Hope this helps!

Okay, I am confused. Gee, Big Business and the Government invade my home, why am I not surprised.

When you say 'over the air', does that include via the cable that comes into the house? I don't have a cable set top box, only a cable coming into the house.

Arkadin, I wish I were technologically proficient, I would love to find a way to beat the man.

Or, as lzcutter notes, it may finally be the day I switch to satellite, weather be damned.

NewClassic, a new day's sarcasm for your original thoughts on people who want to keep analogs for any of their own reasons...

With any luck, the Gov't can start outlawing those people so we can kill them off. "Be A Man - Kill 'Em!"

Wouldn't that be a great marketing campaign? Gosh - just think of the Entertainment News Coverage! 24 hours a day, 8 days a week!

I'd still like to know ALL of the benefits of digitized media. For example...will digitized transmissions require less rain-forest clearings? Will it save the polar caps? Reduce emissions? Improve crop yields?

Or perhaps on my seldom-used Serious Side, would it offer us more REAL channels?

(And it that was the case, then why can't Time Warner merely strip out ALL of the dupe- trip- quadruplicates and give us say, oh, EIGHT good channels?

The Digital/Broadband/Phone Industry hasn't issued ONE plan that says, "Once we're all digital, this is what new benefits you'll get!"

Instead, they rehash the same old marketing claims. "Cheaper service!" (Oh yeah - has ANYONE received a smaller monthly service from one received 10 years ago? 20? Five?!!) "More services!" (Except we can't get what we REALLY want.)

What about people like me who have old sets and get cable? I'm sure my tv isnt digital and my cable isnt either (at least the stations I'm signed up for) Will the cable company's converter box fix this, or do I have to buy a tv converter too now? I've been dreading this change for years now. I'm very electronic challenged...

. . . your words "That sounded cheaper than forcing every police station, fire station, EMT responder, hospitals and such to convert their equipment, I guess." actually made me laugh. I'm quite sure I could bet that there are a whole lot more households in the U.S. than those groups all put together . . .

What I believe you are failing to take into consideration is that all those private households only require receivers to take part in public broadcasting. The emergency responders require transmitter/receivers to fulfill their requirements, with several clear channels of communication.

Also, since the range of those Emergency Responser's transmitters is minuscule, compared to the range of the average television transmitter, the number of communities that can make use of the same channel and not interfere with each other -- since they are beyond each other's transmission range -- is greater than you may have considered.

Dimitrios:

You're perfectly right, I didn't think of that. I guess it can compare to moronic drivers who do not stop when they hear a siren and blithely block passage for emergency vehicles to get through.

Anne

What about people like me who have old sets and get cable? I'm sure my tv isnt digital and my cable isnt either (at least the stations I'm signed up for) Will the cable company's converter box fix this, or do I have to buy a tv converter too now? I've been dreading this change for years now. I'm very electronic challenged...

Cable companies' converter boxes' outputs will continue to have analog outputs that will serve older sets. All the changes will be at the cable providers' head end, where they receive their over-the-air signals.

Hibi, I don't even have a cable box on my tv. I get the cable from...well, the cable.

Since I don't plan to buy a digital box to accede to the government's collusion with mass media (free up the airwaves, yeah and Oswald acted alone), guess I'd better restock my library of books and apportion out my taped TCM movies.