Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]Bob Hope[/b] :)

MissG - thanks very much for the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for those films. I might even have one or two in my boxes of burned DVDs that I've never watched.

I really admire Bob Hope on a personal level, because of all he did for servicemen overseas. And so I really would like to see some of his films. :)

I agree, Pktrekgirl. I never did like Bing, and could NOT see his appeal to the ladies when Bob was around, but I did appreciate that Bob held his own in the Road pictures and that was none of the awful putdowns that were so rampant in the Stooges, L&H or A&C pictures. I thought Bob was infinitely sexier, smoother and far more clever than Bing, who always gave me the heebie jeebies.

THEN I read what his sons had to say about him and was gratified that my instincts were correct.

Now see...I thought it was just me. But you feel the same way about getting the heebie jeebies from him....and I was talking to another friend recently who felt the same way. So it's NOT just me.

How odd.

I watched him in Here Comes the Groom a couple of weeks back and could barely get through the picture. I recorded it to begin with because I just think Franchot Tone is the cutest thing going...and a very underrated actor. And I like Jane Wyman too.

But Bing was just so creepy...especially with those KIDS. I can't even explain it, but he's the kind of guy I wouldn't let anywhere NEAR a child of mine.

I have no basis for that feeling, mind you - I have read very little about him (although I remember hearing a long time ago that his kids hated him - which I took with a grain of salt as it seems so many of these Hollywood kids end up resenting their famous father/mother and writing tell-all books about their issues)

But even though I have NO basis for my feelings, I can't help it. He just creeps me out.

But anyway, back to Bob Hope - who most certainly does NOT creep me out! :D

I think I may have a copy of My Favorite Brunette around the house somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

***By the way, I have no idea why my post will no longer do paragraphs. Sometimes this board software leaves ALOT to be desired.

That might be it (his ickiness with kids), pktrekgirl, but he just did not look like a nice guy to me. I felt the same way whether he was on variety shows or in the movies.

As to his kids, since one (or more?) of them committed suicide, and since they sincerely seemed to be agonized when I saw interviews with them, I would put my money on the side of the kids, not the father.

I think Bing had NPD, and was quite adept at appearing the nice guy for those who were not creeped out by him.

Good intuition, pktrekgirl.

Hey all!

I will not be on much due to the fact my computer blew up :( So I apologize in advance for any private messages that will not be answered. I'm at a public library, so you can see my situation.

But I just want to thank all of you for your support to this thread and Mr. Hope. The only other movies I would add to Miss G's list to PKtrekgirl would be The Big Broadcast of 1938 and there are lots of great shorts featuring Mr. Hope that span through out the 1930's.

Nice to see all of you, hope everyone here has a nice weekend!

bhf1940

PS... Hi pktrekgirl! Thanks for taking sometime away from the Coop thread ;)

Just out of curiosity, what were Bing's kids agonizing about?

I really know next to nothing about him. The only thing I recall is a slight blip on my radar about his kids REALLY disliking him... As in, up there with a Joan Crawford/Mommy Dearest sort of dislike of him.

Well, it's the least I can do...you gave Coop a try - I could at least return the favor and give Bob a try. ;) I've always respected him anyway, so why not?

I am particularly interested in Monsieur Beauclaire, and you might imagine... I'm curious as to how it compares with the Valentino version. ;)

Is it a spoof? Or is it seriously a remake of the Valentino silent?

> MissG - thanks very much for the suggestions. I will

> keep an eye out for those films. I might even have

> one or two in my boxes of burned DVDs that I've never

> watched.

>

I hope you enjoy them! :)

> I'm still a bit cool on Faye myself, but you just

> never know who you'll end up liking, I always

> say!

>

> I agree with that, and sometimes when you finally

> find out you can enjoy them after all, it feels so

> wonderful! :)

I had a big turnaround like that over Margaret Sullavan. There was a time I simply couldn't stand her. Then I saw Three Comrades and I revised my opinion.

>

> I am particularly interested in Monsieur

> Beauclaire, and you might imagine... I'm curious

> as to how it compares with the Valentino version. ;)

>

> Is it a spoof? Or is it seriously a remake of the

> Valentino silent?

As you might imagine, it's a comic take on the story, with Bob playing a barber who falls afoul of the king, landing in all kinds of hot water. It's actually very funny and though I have not seen the silent version, I imagine it bears no resemblance! ;)

Just out of curiosity, what were Bing's kids agonizing about?

I really know next to nothing about him. The only thing I recall is a slight blip on my radar about his kids REALLY disliking him... As in, up there with a Joan Crawford/Mommy Dearest sort of dislike of him.

I don't really know much about Bing's own personal life, however you may be interested in a movie where he plays a divorced father trying to get custody of his kids, it's called Man on Fire, MGM, 1957. :)