Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
judy_fan

Favorite Music Moment in a non- musical Movie

This topic sounds weird but it makes sense :)

What is your favorite Music/ Musical Moment froma Non- Musical Movie ??

I'd have to say my favorites (that I can remember right now) are:

1) In Casablanca when both sides are singing their national anthems

2) Tara's Theme Song from Gone With the Wind

3) It's a Wonderful Life - when they are dancing and they fall in the pool ;)

You're right, the part in Casablanca where they play La Marseilleise and the German anthem is absolutely wonderful! :)

I would add the part in The Godfather, Part II where little Vito Corleone has just arrived to Ellis Island, and he looks at the Statue of Liberty for the first time. :D

Huh... You really have to think on this one (I like that):

Ball Of Fire. When she teaches the oldies to dance!

A Night At The Opera. I'm not sure if this counts, but I'll post it anyway. I love when Chico plays "All I do is dream of you..." on the piano. In fact, anytime Chico plays the piano is a big plus! Harpo's heartfelt strums on his signature intrument are just icing on the cake.

The Lives Of A Bengal Lancer. When Tone plays that strange instrument just to anger Cooper.

Hide-Out. When Robert Montgomery whistles while he picks cherries... Thus leading to a catchy musical moment while he tries to rush through his chores. I guess every man would rush through their chores if when they finished they'd get a moment alone with Maureen O'Sullivan. ;)

And Holiday. When Grant/Hepburn share a waltz to the sound of a child's crank toy. Sigh.

Nice topic.

bhf1940

Message was edited by:

bobhopefan1940 (because how could I forget Grant/Hepburn in Bringin' Up Baby! "I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE . . . BABY!")

Those are awesome moments bhf! =0)

I would have to go with the moment in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" when the dwarfs go home and sing "Heigh-ho". It has a very old-fashioned charm and it must have been just amazing back in the 30's to see this in a movie.

A Night At The Opera. I'm not sure if this counts, but I'll post it anyway. I love when Chico plays "All I do is dream of you..." on the piano. In fact, anytime Chico plays the piano is a big plus! Harpo's heartfelt strums on his signature intrument are just icing on the cake.

Any time any of the Marx Bros. played an instrument is automatically a favorite music moment for me! B-)

Another great moment is the climax of The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Ennio Morricone's music builds to a beautiful crescendo just as the three main characters prepare for the shootout! B-)

But all of the music in the spaghetti westerns that Morricone composed is absolutely beautiful :x

The music in Once Upon a Time in the West is also a memorable one :)

I'm not sure that background music, such as "Tara's Theme" would count here. As for favorite

musical MOMENT in a non-musical, may I propose the end of "First Wive's Club", with Goldie

Hawn, Diane Keaton and Bette Midler struttin' their stuff in all-white outfits, as they sing "You

Don't Own Me". Also, Meryl Streep singing "I'm Checking Out" at the end of "Postcards From

the Edge".

In my first post I said it could be either music or a musical moment from a Non- Musical movie, sooo.... Tara's Theme would count, since it is music froma non- musical movie ;)

My top choice is Dorothy Malone's erotic dance in Written On the Wind.

Close runner up is pathetic dipsomaniac Gaye Dawn (Claire Trevor) warbling Moanin' Low in Key Largo.

Honorable mention go to the beautiful (to me, breathtaking) waltz scenes in both Madame Bovary (1949) and Since You Went Away.

Thanks, Bill and dred. I've only seen Jan Duggan in THE OLD FASHIONED WAY, but I'll be looking out for her in other movies.

Sorry about the color in Lonesome Pine. L&H should only be seen in black and white, but that was the best clip for that song I could post

Also, if you've a mind to, check out the Eddie Cantor clip "We'll Build A Little Home" under Rare Film Clips in the Hot Topics thread that I posted for Fred several days back. Real catchy tune (in a Depression-era kind of way, but punched up with risque Berkeley touches)

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Two from the 80's that come to mind: Gilda Radner and Dom Deluise- hilariously "Ballin' the Jack" in "Haunted Honeymoon". Also Melinda Dillon - very touching as she performs "While We're Young" in Lee Grant's marvelous "Staying Together". And, oh yes, from the 70's - the incomparable Barbara Harris single-handedly saving the day (for at least as long as she's onscreen) in the wretched Dustin Hoffman turkey "Who is Harry Kellerman...?" especially in her lovely shimmering take on "Painting the Clouds with Sunshine."

Good one, visualfest. Personally I'd go with "When you wish upon a star", but the whole movie has many beautiful musical moments!

Pinocchio is a Disney feature-length cartoon. At the time all Disney full length films had music, but they were considered cartoons, not musicals (with the exception of Fantasia which was all musical segments)

I agree that they were not considered musicals, and for the most part even today most people consider them primarily animated movies.

Having said that, I do think it might have been interesting to see what Disney could have done if it could have borrowed some of the musical talents from MGM, Fox, etc., and created an animated movie which featured their voices.

Any film where the characters are singing their thoughts and feelings, is a musical. Regardless of whether it's animated or not.

Sammy Davis Jr singing "E O 11" in Ocean's Eleven, Debbie Reynolds singing "Tammy" in Tammy And The Bachelor and Cesar Romero's "Si Tu Supieras" in Cisco Kid And The Lady.