Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
judy_fan

Favorite Music Moment in a non- musical Movie

My favorite non-musical movie movie moment is when Wilhelmia Wiggins Fernandez sings "Ebben? Ne andr? lontana" from Catalani's La Wally in the movie Diva (La Wally, btw, is the stupidest opera - Ever). This one aria changed my mind about opera. The sad thing is I believe I originally chanced on this on AMC - back when it really showed movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXuEg4hMvg

--

Terry Wallace

"Put the Blame on Mame" from GILDA, sung by Rita Hayworth/Anita Ellis and "Buttons & Bows" from THE PALEFACE, sung by Bob Hope and Jane Russell.

A musical is a film or play that uses songs and dance to tell the story- in " Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" there is an elaborate gypsy production number but no one would consider it a musical.

Even though something in the wind is somewhat a musical I thought it would still go in this category. I really like the I love a mystery song with Donald O'Connor and Deanna Durbin

Well, I think everyone knows that already. But I think that until fairly recently, a movie wasn't usually thought of as a musical unless it was at least partly live-action. And most of the time the term was applied almost exclusively to movies that were fully live-action.

Someone's probably already mentioned this but in 1941's "Buck Privates", the Andrew Sisters wiped everyone off the floor with two big musical number: the immortal, "Boogie Woogie Boy of Company B" and "Bounce Me Brother With a Solid Four." They also performed several more standards that became classics: "You're a Lucky Fellow Mr. Smith" and "I'll be With you in Apple Blossom Time." Although "Buck Privates" has become a favorite with today's families, Abbott and Costello movies featured The Andrew Sisters in several more of their movies, like "Hold That Ghost" and "In the navy." Their movie musical numbers always sounded much better than the same numbers on records.