Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

character actors

Jack Warden name came up in an other post. It reminded me that one of the things i enjoy are the character actors in films. i often wonder what kind of living they made in the golden era and who their agents are in the modern area. There was an actor named J. Farrell MacDonald who appeared in 314 films. Ward Bond in 260 films. Today there is Joe Pantaliano & M. Emmet Walsh who seems to be everywhere. One of my all time favorites is Edward Horton. Thelma Ritter is another one off the top of my head. These actors can sure hold a film together at times.

Hi bggalaxy! Good post! I see the beginning of a long list about "Favorite Supporting or Character Actors" launching from this post. Hope this thread continues!

O.K., I'll start;-)

Walter Brennan, Donald Crisp, and William Demarest to name just three great character actors.

Well, I'd have to say that James Gleason and Sig Ruman are among the best character actors I've seen in movies.

Thelma Ritter is definitely one of the finest character actresses of all time...she steals every scene she's in.... also favorites are Clifton Webb, Ethel Barrymore, Frank Morgan, Sig Rumann, Hattie McDaniel, Mary Boland, Alma Kruger.....oooopss...there are so much more!!

"Yes!" to all the names listed so far. Yesterday I could see Donald Crisp's face so clearly, but could not get a handle on his name, of course. Let's just say that I'm not "aging gracefully", and leave it at that!

And, I simply must add Marjory Main's name to the list because I've always adored her, and will still watch a movie I've already seen dozens of times, just to enjoy her performance again.

I was also thinking yesterday about Barry Fitzgerald, the notorious "scene stealer". Be as it may, he was wonderful in Going My Way.

Just a reminder that there are two other topics regarding character actors on the boards with oodles of replies.

One in particular is "Your favorite Characters" and contain most of the star names listed here.

However we never tire of listing those fabulous people that just about stole every movie they made especially Thelma Ritter, Edna May Oliver, Edmund Gwenn, James Gleason, Lucile Watson, Gladys George, Margaret Wycherly (top of the world Ma!) and so many others.

Mongo

Some of my favorites: Charles Lane, Donald Meek, Henry Travers, Lynne Overman, Thomas Mitchell, Gene Lockhart, Frank McHugh, Abner Biberman, John Hamilton (TV's Perry White from the 50's, Thurston Hall and of course Alan Jenkins.

A few of my faves: Whit Bissell,David Warner,Shirley Knight,Murray Hamilton,Robert Loggia, Veronica Cartwright,Andy Devine, Sterling Holloway, Edward Everett Horton, Edmund Gwynne,Dean JaggersEd Begly Sr. Edward Binnes, JD Walsh and "the ever-popular Mae Clark".