Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Darren McGavin

ackermanis

Whenever I have seen the Robert Redford film, "The Natural", I have been perplexed why Darren McGavin's name never appears on the credits. I live in Australia and wondered if this situation is peculiar to the version shown in Australia. Does anyone know the reason?

Cheers,

Ackermanis

I never saw his name credited either here, very near Buffalo, NY where the movie was made.

This is what IMDb had to say:

As mentioned in Leonard Maltin's biographical piece on Mr. McGavin, he was indeed "curiously" uncredited in "The Natural." During the filming of the movie, Robert Redford was so pleased with Mr. McGavin's portrayal of his character that they began to expand the role. However, after a certain point, union rules dictated that the actor's contract needed to be renegotiated for salary and billing. After haggling on salary, and holding up production of the movie because of it, the billing had to be decided. Apparently, Mr. McGavin became somewhat fed up with the proceedings and instructed his agent to waive his billing entirely so they could get back to filming.

Archived