Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many films in your collection?

Between the ladies in the Gary Cooper thread and somebody mentiong they had boxes of DVD recordings they have yet to watch I wondered how many movies we owned.

Count those you bought and those you have recorded you would keep permanently.

What film have you had the longest without watching?

I am quite embarrased to answer this, but it's cheaper than therapy. I have approximately 1200 DVDs, around 300 of those I have not seen yet. I have at least 1000 DVD-Rs half of which I haven't watched (though many are recordings off of TCM that are movies I have seen in the past). I need a good 12 step program. There just aren't enough hours to ever catch up. Most of the DVDs I buy are bought used, so I get most of them for around $4. So it's hard to say no when I see something I want to watch at a good price even though it may be awhile before I watch it. Thank goodness I don't drink or smoke, but I am a DVD addict. I don't know which one has gathered the most dust since I purchased it. But just as soon as they invent that 48 hour day I'm going to start catching up.

I'd have to guess-probably 1000 VHS-200 DVD...I have several that I bought and have yet to watch, but have seen before. The one that I've had the longest and have never seen (and I'm guessing again) is Orson Welles' "The Tragedy Of Othello: The Moor Of Venice." Last year I was forced to "clean house-"to make room for more movies...I donated about 200 to one of my favorite (non-profit) thrift stores.

I'm not too sure the DVDs are working, Cinemas, LOL...

It sounds a bit crazy to me; how can anyone possibly watch over 1000 movies (plus what's actually ON TV)???

But I'm probably off the weird-scale on the other end; I own fewer than ten...

I don't watch tv at all, except for Rome which is finally back on HBO, so having lots of dvds is a good thing. Plus in the summer when my Comcast special is over and the bill goes to over $50 I will be switching to the cheapest satellight package which doesn't include TCM. I will have cable just for the kids and I will have my movies to watch.

I pretty much have all the good movies on dvd (still waiting for Ride the Pink Horse) so I will be fine. If one of the cable or satellight companies comes up with a decent package I would get it back, but I don't think it should cost $50 to watch television.

I am quite embarrased to answer this, but it's cheaper than therapy. I have approximately 1200 DVDs, around 300 of those I have not seen yet. I have at least 1000 DVD-Rs half of which I haven't watched (though many are recordings off of TCM that are movies I have seen in the past). I need a good 12 step program. There just aren't enough hours to ever catch up. Most of the DVDs I buy are bought used, so I get most of them for around $4. So it's hard to say no when I see something I want to watch at a good price even though it may be awhile before I watch it. Thank goodness I don't drink or smoke, but I am a DVD addict. I don't know which one has gathered the most dust since I purchased it. But just as soon as they invent that 48 hour day I'm going to start catching up.

I must sheepishly confess that my situation is fairly similar, only with far fewer DVD-Rs (though I might yet catch up to movielover!) With film collections such as these, it may not be possible to watch all of them any time soon, but at least it's comforting to know that you have such a huge selection to choose from next time you play a movie! :)

I'm off the weird scale with you, otterhere, I don't own 25. Even weirder, I still use a VCR. My only DVD player is on the computer, really inconvenient to watch movies here.

Having already confessed my DVD addiction I should probably add that other than the news and sporting events I don't watch ANYTHING as it is being broadcast. I enjoy having so many choices sitting there to choose from. No matter what my mood (or my kids') there is always a good choice to be had. The 31 days of Oscar helps me get caught up a little because there is very little I record then. But now that we're back to normal, wonderful, TCM programming the DVD recorder will be hard at work! PS they're not called BOOKshelves anymore, they are DVD storage units.

Which brings me to the last part of the question: which movie has taken me the longest to watch? Ingmar Bergman's "Saraband," because I somehow wrongly ordered the thing in DVD (may not even have it out in VHS), and I have yet to get my new DVD player connected. Yes, quite happy back in VCR land with you.

Otter, this is a difficult question to answer, at least for me, because there's been so many things I never bought but put off watching forever. There's movies like Wings and We're No Angels (1955) that I'd been meaning to watch since I was in college and yet I didn't get around to it until fairly recently.

I have a DVD of Little Shop of Horrors that's the "rare" version, with the alternate ending, which was later pulled from circulation and replaced by another version. I don't think I've ever actually watched it all the way through. Maybe that would be the one, from the ones I've collected.

I have exactly 2138 movies on DVD, DVD+R, or VHS. Rarely do I watch them. However, I have seen 75% of those movies years ago on network TV, as well as many others. I stopped counting at about 7,000. But now it seems that because I can record them, I'm in no hurry to see them again. The movies I do wind up seeing are the ones I want to see but don't want to own; namely, anything of interest made after 1949. So I'm actually watching more of the kinds of movies I'm not crazy about than the ones I am!

I wait till I have most or all of an actor's movies and then have a watching marathon so I can study their work as a whole.

So, how do I store these DVDs and gain immediate access to any one? Well, the store bought ones go on a bookcase like books. The DVD+Rs stay in their 50-pack round containers. I mark each DVD with a number and keep them divided by studio distributer. So one container has MGM 1-50. Then 51-100, etc. WB 1-50, etc. All the movies with odd distributers get put together in the miscellanious container(s). The only order they're in is according to when I recorded them. I keep an Excel database with all the titles organized by year and the number I assigned to them. So if I want to see Random Harvest, say, I look it up on Excel, see that I assigned it MGM-196, get the 50-disc container labeled MGM 151-200, and open it from the bottom end and easily pull out the fifth disc from the bottom which is marked MGM-196. I also check this database when I'm going over TCM's schedule to see what I need to record.

Now, where do I keep these 50-disc containers? In a few dresser drawers. 40 containers will hold 2000 DVDs. Takes up the space of about 120 VHS tapes. No problem. You can keep them on bookshelves, or stack 'em in plastic storage tubs. When people I've told about my collection come over my place the first time, they're like, where's all these movies you have? I tap my head.

Hope this has given you movie collectors some storage ideas.

I have given dvds to mostly friends. A couple of them are film fanatics who buy or tape everything.

My collection really took off in the last couple of years, but has somewhat leveled off recently. I am more discriminate now in what I want to own and have a focused approach to film collecting.

Because I still live with Mom and don't have much money, I only have ten DVDs, nine videos, and eleven recordings. Believe me, that will change once I start college and move out.

College is a great opportunity to start exploring movie collecting, that's how I got started. :D

To me this sounds more like something an audiophile would care about....or someone who just can't get enough surround sound. Which is pretty much irrelevant when you watch classic film. I care about surround sound alot more when I'm watching scifi, for example, than I care about it when I'm watching a Humphrey Bogart film.

What you have there is a ton of speakers, a tuner (glorified radio) and a CD/DVD player (I'm assuming that's what this means) with a 5 disk carousel.

I'm assuming this is what we are talking about, brand new:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-HT405D-Theater-System-Silver/dp/B0000A2XTC/ref=sr_1_2/105-0456477-6776401?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173993460&sr=1-2

But here's the thing: don't you already have a DVD player?

So if you already have a DVD player, is it worth it to you to pay $200 to not have to get off the sofa between films? Cus that is what you are paying for...unless your real interest in this is in the CD player component or the AM/FM radio component.

Which is really not 'home theater', if you want to get technical. That is for the stereo geeks to help you decide.

So bottom line - it depends upon what your goal is. If your goal is to be able to record and burn classic films - which you have not been able to do as yet, IIRC, then this is not gonna help you. Better to spend your money on this:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000FJELQA/ref=s9_asin_title_1/105-0456477-6776401

But if your goal is to improve the SOUND component of your existing home theater system, then, depending upon the condition of the components you are considering, it might be a good deal. Although before I spent $200 on a few year old used system with no warranty, I'd spend the $450 and get a shiny new model straight out of the box.

But even if you are interested, I'd definitely go and test the components, ask them if they are starting to have problems with the DVD player yet, etc.

In my experience, DVD players don't have the longest shelf life sometimes...so you want to make sure on that point. And that all the speakers are still working too.

• 8 months later...