Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

Favorite Elvis movie?

Viva, Las Vegas, GI Blues, Kissin' Cousins and Speedway, with Nancy Sinatra, and his acting forte in King Creole.

I think I loved Speedway because WIlliam Schallert and Bill Bixby were in it, as well as Victoria Meyerlink who was the cute little girl who often appeared on the Danny Kaye show, and she reminded me so much of my little sister.

Speedway was kind of a knock-off of Viva Las Vegas.

I've never been able to stand Elvis as a singer or actor, but I did watch his movies for laughs when I was a kid. So I'd have to answer anything with the lovely Shelley Fabares, Girl Happy, Spinout, and Clambake.

The king ain't no laughing matter! :0

j/k, some of the movies can be fairly amusing, just like a lot of 60's movies. :D

Viva Las Vegas --- Ann-Margret is perfectly cast opposite him, and it's the best romantic foil he ever had. Both are slightly campy in feel, and you can easily swallow them as a romantic pair.

His oddest screen romance? Lizabeth Scott.

My favourite is Blue Hawaii - it is the only one I saw in the theatre; most of his other movies I have seen on TV. I will watch almost any of them when they are on, though. :)

My mother always liked "_Blue Hawaii_". When my mother passed away, we played the soundtrack at her wake. My mother always told the story my 1st word as a baby was "Elvis".

My mom was such a huge Elvis fan.

elvis-presley-movies-12.jpg

My fav Elvis film was: "_Roustabout_" W./Elvis Presley & Barbara Stanwyck!

roustabout.jpg

Blue Hawaii is one of my guilty pleasures too. Not high art, but so much fun in the sun. I also like King Creole and Jailhouse Rock. That's about it.

I can't remember all the Elvis movies I've seen but I did like "It Happened at the World's Fair". I'm from Seattle and I had been wanting to see this movie forever! It was kind of corny but really cute. I loved seeing Seattle in the "old days". I've also seen a little of Jailhouse Rock, but I wasn't able to finish it, so I am looking foreword to seeing it again!

Andrea

This Sunday, TCM will bring us 24 hours of Elvis movies. :D

*Viva Las Vegas* (1964) 6am ET

A race-car driver falls for a pretty swimming instructor who wants him to slow down his career.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Ann-Margret, Cesare Danova, William Demarest Dir: George Sidney C-85 mins, TV-14

*Spinout* (1966) 7:30am ET

A singing race-car driver has to choose among three amorous females.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Diane McBain, Deborah Walley Dir: Norman Taurog C-93 mins, TV-PG

*Blue Hawaii* (1961) 9:15am ET

A Hawaiian playboy defies his possessive mother to take a job with a tourist agency.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Joan Blackman, Nancy Walters, Roland Winters Dir: Norman Taurog C-101 mins, TV-PG

*Girls! Girls! Girls!* (1962) 11am ET

A Hawaiian fisherman is torn between a sexy nightclub singer and a nice girl with a secret.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Stella Stevens, Laurel Goodwin, Jeremy Slate Dir: Norman Taurog C-99 mins, TV-PG

*Jailhouse Rock* (1957) 1pm ET

After learning to play the guitar in prison, a young man becomes a rock 'n roll sensation.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Judy Tyler, Mickey Shaughnessy, Vaugn Taylor Dir: Richard Thorpe BW-96 mins, TV-G

*Fun in Acapulco* (1963) 2:45pm ET

A trapeze artist tries to use love to conquer his fear of heights.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Ursula Andress, Elsa Cardenas, Paul Lukas Dir: Richard Thorpe C-97 mins, TV-PG

*Girl Happy* (1965) 4:30pm ET

A rock singer is hired to chaperone a gangster's daughter in Fort Lauderdale.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Harold J. Stone, Gary Crosby Dir: Boris Sagal C-95 mins, TV-PG

*Clambake* (1967) 6:15pm ET

A playboy switches places with a water-skiing instructor to find a woman who isn't just after his money.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Will Hutchins, Bill Bixby Dir: Arthur H. Nadel C-99 mins, TV-G

*It Happened At The World's Fair* (1963) 8pm ET

A pilot's efforts to help a lost girl at the Seattle World's Fair lead to love.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Joan O'Brien, Gary Lockwood, Vicky Tiu Dir: Norman Taurog C-105 mins, TV-G

*King Creole* (1958) 10pm ET

A singer with a criminal past gets drawn back into the mob.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Dolores Hart Dir: Michael Curtiz BW-116 mins, TV-PG

*G.I. Blues* (1960) 12am ET

An American stationed in Germany bets that he can make an icy entertainer fall for him.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Juliet Prowse, Robert Ivers, James Douglas Dir: Norman Taurog C-104 mins, TV-G

*Roustabout* (1964) 2am ET

A female carnival owner hires a hot-blooded young singer to save her touring show.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Freeman, Leif Erickson Dir: John Rich C-101 mins, TV-PG

*The Trouble With Girls* (1969) 4am ET

A traveling show's star gets involved in a small-town murder case.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Marlyn Mason, Nicole Jaffe, Sheree North Dir: Peter Tewksbury C-99 mins, TV-PG

My favorite Elvis flick wasn't aired during the recent Elvis marathon. It's "Live a Little, Love a Little". I know, I know, It's silly, non-sensical and has a ridiculous plot. I like it for the following three reasons.

1. It co-stars Michele Carey. I fell in love with her in this movie. (she was also in "El Dorado", the Rio Bravo-remake with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum)

2. Sterling Holloway has a cameo. (Everyone likes Winnie the Pooh)

3. Dick Sargent (the second Darrin on Bewitched) has an unintentionally hilarious scene when he tries to dance during a bizarre musical number. He looks so out-of-his-element it's sadly hysterical.

Check it out.

Fav. elvis films:

WILD IN THE COUNTRY

KING CREOLE

In Wild in the Country he was called upon to do some acting as opposed to most of the lightweight musical comedt so evident in 95% of his movies. King Creole imho has the the best musical score and the best supporting cast of all the Kings movies.

Whats that line from JR .. you sure are the prettiest jailbird i ever seen???? nope not one of my favorites.

Viva Las Vegas.. Elvis & Ann Margret were made for each other for on screen appeal and i usually watch it when it comes on.

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> Viva Las Vegas.. Elvis & Ann Margret were made for each other for on screen appeal and i usually watch it when it comes on.

Yup, I also think they had very good chemistry on-screen. :x

Also off-screen, apparently.

This would be my favorite too, though "Speedway" with Nancy Sinatra is also up there.

It's not a favorite film, but "Follow That Dream" is my favorite title song.