Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Battle of Britain"

The Brits to the Polish squad that's helping them fight the Gerries: "Stop all this Polish chit-chat!"

Jeez...

I actually enjoyed this movie; it was rather droll and understated in that British way, and the major stars don't stand out as much as form a seamless pattern within the story. And Olivier doesn't overact, thank God.

Plummer: "I wonder what I'll expect in Scotland"

Caine: "Probably a lot of kids with down on their cheeks."

I liked it, I liked even more as a Kid: real Boys Own Hero stuff for a Brit.

However since coming across the Blue Max I prefer that as a film about flyers and such. That is one Brilliant Movie.

A Brit film a like over Battle for Britain was the Damn Busters. Which was about bomber command rather than fighter command.

Ah, you're a Brit, how nice! But that "Polish chit-chat"....grrrrrrrr.

I liked at the end when Olivier looks up at the sky and it's blissfully blue and free from planes...

I haven't seen IN WHICH WE SERVE; I think that's Noel Coward, isn't it?

> I liked it, I liked even more as a Kid: real Boys

> Own Hero stuff for a Brit.

> However since coming across the Blue Max I prefer

> that as a film about flyers and such. That is one

> Brilliant Movie.

>

>

> A Brit film a like over Battle for Britain was the

> Damn Busters. Which was about bomber command rather

> than fighter command.

Was that the one about the spherical bombs that bounced on the water until they hit the dams? I saw that.

Did you ever see, "I Was Monte's Double"? A great film about an actor who looked just like Monte. In fact, he played himself in the movie. Very interesting film, and all mostly true. I haven't seen it in years.

> Ah, you're a Brit, how nice! But that "Polish

> chit-chat"....grrrrrrrr.

Well, maybe the Poles were like the Americans, with lots of light chit chat during battles.

> I liked at the end when Olivier looks up at the sky

> and it's blissfully blue and free from planes...

Yes, and that was a very understated scene. He didn't have to say anything. The skies were clear and that was the end of the battle. They won. Yay!

> I haven't seen IN WHICH WE SERVE; I think that's Noel

> Coward, isn't it?

I think so. Again, understated. No loud John Wayne types.

I'm not up on my spherical bombs, I think John Mills was in it, as well as Noel Coward himself.

I WAS MONTY'S DOUBLE sounds very familiar. Did that star James Mason or someone like that?

As I was watching BATTLE OF BRITAIN, as a fan of Eddie Izzard, I couldn't help remembering what Eddie says in his routines about American vs. British films; how ours are just made for stuffing our faces w/popcorn, (and then he gives hilarious examples, like from RAGING BULL, "You f***** my wife, didn't you, didn't you?" and then he mimes a Yank gobbling down the popcorn; then he does some staid English dialogue like "Oh, hello, I didn't see you standing there". "Yes, I was standing there", and Izzard says you just can't eat popcorn to THAT!

THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN reminded me of that; you couldn't snack while watching it, just enjoy it quietly with no food Even the battle scenes were sort of, well, British...("bloody Poles, speak the Queen's English!")

Yeah it is Noel coward and excellent of showing what English man were like back then the cultural accuracy and non romanticism of home life is excellent, However war is still quite romanticized in that ,movie.

As far as the structure of that that movoe is concerned, I find the telling of the story in flash back a tad jarring and irritating; and sadly it might be down to the editor and director because i like flash backs normally.

Message was edited by:

Mr_Dash

Hi Dobbsy; Yeah the Damn Busters was the bouncy bomb movie, I didnt See montys double I did see I can'rt remeber it though Think OI may have seen it only once.

I hope its been quite on the weaternfront while I have been gone. :)

Does anyone know why the ending of the movie on DVD was changed from what it was in the theaters? A mediocre music score that did not fit the film was insterted, the scrolling text listing the German flyers who took part in the Battle of Britain was eliminated, and the quote by Churchill shown at the end was NOT from the Battle of Britain, but was from his speech after the battle of El Alemein.

Somebody has a documentary (History or Military Channels) about the man who invented the dam buster. It's interesting how many types he had to go through. They have film of tests of those that were golf ball shaped (complete with dimples) and the barrel shaped, with and without the wood casing. I think the first one they dropped didn't work as they were to close to the ground. A later one did. So much of the height of the drop and the air speed and angle of the drop were critical to where the thing would break up or work as it should. Very interesting story.

> I'm not up on my spherical bombs, I think John Mills

> was in it, as well as Noel Coward himself.

>

> I WAS MONTY'S DOUBLE sounds very familiar. Did that

> star James Mason or someone like that?

>

> As I was watching BATTLE OF BRITAIN, as a fan of

> Eddie Izzard, I couldn't help remembering what Eddie

> says in his routines about American vs. British

> films; how ours are just made for stuffing our faces

> w/popcorn, (and then he gives hilarious examples,

> like from RAGING BULL, "You f***** my wife, didn't

> you, didn't you?" and then he mimes a Yank gobbling

> down the popcorn; then he does some staid English

> dialogue like "Oh, hello, I didn't see you standing

> there". "Yes, I was standing there", and Izzard says

> you just can't eat popcorn to THAT!

>

> THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN reminded me of that; you

> couldn't snack while watching it, just enjoy it

> quietly with no food Even the battle scenes were

> sort of, well, British...("bloody Poles, speak the

> Queen's English!")

Bronxgirl, thanks for the Eddie Izzard quotes! I laughed out loud! Eddie Izzard is Fabulous! My Hubby and I like to go around saying "Cake or Death?" BTW, I saw his new tv series with Minnie Driver and it is quite good.

Sandy K

"Battle of Britain"??? Did this start out with some Germans (notably, Werner Klemper [sp?] of "Hogan's Heros" fame) standing around speaking German? For a minute, I thought I'd lucked into a foreign film. But no; just another war flick.

Trying to figure out why I got a war picture instead of "End of the Affair," which was supposed to have been on at 7:15 last night; what time did the BOB play?

I also had the Betty Hutton interview on my schedule (printed out from this site) at 4:00 pm; is there a west coast version of it that I could possibly have accessed??

This is the schedule on Pacific Time:

4:00 PM Private Screenings: Betty Hutton (2000)

Singer-comedian Betty Hutton shares stories from her career as one of Hollywood's top stars. BW-56 mins, TV-G, CC

5:00 PM Battle Of Britain, The (1969)

England defends itself against the Nazi Blitz. Cast: Sir Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer. Dir: Guy Hamilton. C-133 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

7:15 PM End of the Affair, The (1955)

A married woman cheats on her husband in World War II London. Cast: Deborah Kerr, Van Johnson, John Mills. Dir: Edward Dmytryk. BW-105 mins, , CC, Letterbox Format

9:15 PM Tonight and Every Night (1945)

An American girl falls for an RAF pilot while performing at a British music hall. Cast: Rita Hayworth, Lee Bowman, Janet Blair. Dir: Victor Saville. C-92 mins, TV-PG

otterhere:

There is not a West Coast feed yet (that I've heard.) They tried to do oone last year and something happened but I don't think there's been word of it since.

Sandy:

I'll have cake, please. I always liked Dr. Heimlich's (sp) "Me-maneuver."