Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight And Every Night

It's been a long time since I saw this movie. Rita looks so good in Technicolor and I always enjoy her dancing. However, I noticed that in the trailer they used the term musical drama for this film, and Robert Osborne mentioned it as well. You hear about musical comedy all the time. Did any other films from around this time also use the term musical drama as well?

'tonight and every night' is famously considered a musical drama for it's wartime theme and downbeat ending.

another film from this time that could be considered a musical drama would be betty hutton's 'incendiary blonde' 1945, which also ends on a downbeat note.

love both films, they're a nice change of pace from your standard musical, and i hope they're released on dvd soon........ and yes, rita , who was pregnant with her first child while making this film, is a knockout technicolor !! that samba was wild!!

I understood why they called it that, I just wondered if it was a common term back in the forties or if this was the first time this was used. Usually you just hear musical comedy or just musical, or even a dark musical if it ended on a downbeat note. I guess I kept seeing the trailer all day long and kept hearing that, I just wondered about it.

I agree, you could see Miss Cansino's latin roots in that samba. It was great!

That's also interesting about Incendiary Blonde. I hope I get to see it.

I put in a request here at TCM so maybe someday.

did you see how great 'tonight and every night' looked? perfect technicolor print, not faded or scratched at all!! let's roll that baby out onto dvd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saw 'reveille with beverly' 1943 with ann miller earlier this week, the 'lone wolf' detective series last week, also a great pre-code sex drama with JOHN WAYNE called 'arizona' 1931.

all these films were from columbia and the prints all looked GREAT!! kudos to TCM for broadcasting them, i can ONLY PRAY someone can talk sony into releasing these on dvd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like "Tonight And Every Night" on DVD too... of course there's no guarantee that they'd do the transfer right, and they might mess with the colour deliberately - which seems to be a sad trend lately. Apparently some studios are making the colours darker/muted on DVD 'cause they think old-fashioned Technicolour with it's brilliantly vibrant hues, just doesn't look "realistic" or "modern" enough for today's viewers. As if we *want* classic movies to be more like today's films! Bleh.

The biggest mess-up of any video transfer of a Technicolor movie in recent memory has to be Fox Video's hideous-looking The Gang's All Here, which is ironic given that it's Busby Berekely's only Technicolor movie. You cannot imagine how horrible it looks -- yet oddly enough, the footage from the movie looks absolutely wonderful in a separate documentary about BB included in the same DVD. Go figure.