Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How does TCM earn money?

ElCid

How does TCM earn money?

The thread on Now Playing Guide being cancelled made me wonder about this.

Other than wine, cruises and DVD sales.  DVD sales are probably dropping a lot these days.

Don't the various carriers actually pay TCM?

Doesn't TCM have to pay for showing rights to many of the movies it shows?

I tried but couldn't find out anything about how the channel is financed.  I long thought that since it's a part of the big TURNER BROADCASTING SYSTEM, that revenus from other Turner stations( TBS, TNT, CNN, HLN etc.) were divvied into subsidizing it.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I don't know about your area, but in ours, TCM's still a premium channel, like HBO.  (Only not as expensive.) :angry:

Which, if you live in a port village that the Comcast/XFinity scalawags have ransacked, yo-ho, means having to pay $99-$150/mo. just to be allowed to opt for additional premium channels.  

Last time I watched TCM outside of a hotel room was back on the old Charter system that aired the basic-tier channel.

I have TCM as part of a group or tier with Charter, but not sure where it falls.  Tried to use the internet to find out, but Charter's system is very poor.  Wants you to select services before they tell you what is in each one.

I think TCM is in what used to be called expanded basic, which I believe was next option after basic.  The "movie" channels are separate or all together for an additional price.

Guess my concern is that if Charter depends on carriers to pay, how long before carriers decide to no longer pay?

I have TCM as part of a group or tier with Charter, but not sure where it falls.  Tried to use the internet to find out, but Charter's system is very poor.  Wants you to select services before they tell you what is in each one.

I think TCM is in what used to be called expanded basic, which I believe was next option after basic.  The "movie" channels are separate or all together for an additional price.

Guess my concern is that if Charter depends on carriers to pay, how long before carriers decide to no longer pay?

The interesting thing is that Directv has TCM in its cheapest standard package.  IIRC, this is a recent development which happened sometime in the last three years.

The interesting thing is that Directv has TCM in its cheapest standard package.  IIRC, this is a recent development which happened sometime in the last three years.

yeah, me too

but we'll see if that changes now that ATT took it over

^_^

We are waiting for DirecTVNow to be available on Roku. It was promised the first quarter of this year. There is now no word as to when/if it will be available.

We have checked several times and the charge would be $35 per month for the channels we wish to have. The same set of channels are over $90 on local cable.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings