Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An American Tragedy Tonight!

Can anyone tell me what the end was like? It cut off when he was being sentenced in court.

Phillips Holmes escapes from jail, grows a hunchback, and goes to work for Colin Clive.

• Like 1

SPOILER QUESTION.

Had a power outtage last night during the last few mins of the movie (yeah, how's that for luck?) DIdnt last long, but by the time the cable came back on the movie was over (and there went the recording!)

Can anyone tell me what the end was like? It cut off when he was being sentenced in court.

Thanks. Super ****.

SPOLIER ALERT

Rosebud is

a sled .

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote For Language
  • Like 1

YES. I hadnt thought about it. Something about his eyes.

May be so, but on the other hand.... other things about Phillips Holmes. He was great in his films which spanned the 30's, During the War his

plane was shot down. I love his performances with Nancy Carroll and in the '34 Great Expectations, etc. After seeing these and Confessions of a Co-ed with Sylvia Sidney, I

became his fan.

May be so, but on the other hand.... other things about Phillips Holmes. He was great in his films which spanned the 30's, During the War his

plane was shot down. I love his performances with Nancy Carroll and in the '34 Great Expectations, etc. After seeing these and Confessions of a Co-ed with Sylvia Sidney, I

became his fan.

He was great in some prison movie with Walter Huston. I forget the name of it. It pops up on TCM once in awhile. It's a shame most of his work was at Paramount and it doesnt get shown on TCM. He was one of Paramounts leading men in the 30s.

"Von Sternberg emphasizes that Clyde has a clear choice when he rows the pregnant Roberta out onto a lake to drown her, and we see that money and sex trump sweetness and poverty, even if murder is the price.

In A Place in the Sun, when Winters’s character falls into the lake, Stevens cuts away quickly so as not to steal sympathy from George. In An American Tragedy, Von Sternberg lets you see Roberta as she drowns, and he shows Clyde swimming away from her. It’s perfectly clear that Clyde decides not to help her....

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/an-american-tragedy

-Biggest difference?

:unsure:

• Like 1

He was great in some prison movie with Walter Huston. I forget the name of it. It pops up on TCM once in awhile.

You probably mean Night Court. That is one crazy movie.

"Von Sternberg emphasizes that Clyde has a clear choice when he rows the pregnant Roberta out onto a lake to drown her, and we see that money and sex trump sweetness and poverty, even if murder is the price.

In A Place in the Sun, when Winters’s character falls into the lake, Stevens cuts away quickly so as not to steal sympathy from George. In An American Tragedy, Von Sternberg lets you see Roberta as she drowns, and he shows Clyde swimming away from her. It’s perfectly clear that Clyde decides not to help her....

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/an-american-tragedy

-Biggest difference?

:unsure:

along with inclusion of hit & run scene in beginning & you see the jury deliberate and two jurors are tending toward voting not guilty. The other ten threaten the two holdouts, basically saying that they will find it impossible to make a living in that town if they "side with that murderer".

He was great in some prison movie with Walter Huston. I forget the name of it. It pops up on TCM once in awhile. It's a shame most of his work was at Paramount and it doesnt get shown on TCM. He was one of Paramounts leading men in the 30s.

The one you're thinking of is THE CRIMINAL CODE, 1931, Columbia.

Thanks for the pointless reply.

Yikes!!!

It was a joke, you meanie you.

Anyway  . . . the movie ends with Clyde's mother visiting him in jail after he's been sentenced to death. She tells him that she'll get him a new trial, that she and some friends she has now will go to the governor. Clyde confesses to his mother that while he technically didn't murder Roberta, he didn't save her from drowning when he had the chance so he was responsible for her death. His mother tells him that she and his father were to blame for not teaching him to fight sin because they were more focused on saving the souls of others at their mission.

She tells Clyde to face his punishment bravely like a man. They embrace through the bars, and the mother strokes her son's hair.

And that's the end.

There's no priest, no visit from the rich girl and no walk to the execution as in A PLACE IN THE SUN.

To answer another question, Lucille La Verne played Clyde's mother. She's credited as Mrs. Asa Griffiths.  Clyde's father Asa does not appear in the movie nor does his sister.

• Like 1

I love both versions.

But the von Sternberg version actually shows us the boating accident.

Yes, Clyde could have saved Roberta - but he chose not to.

So, technically, he is guilty of murder.

More interesting, though, was von Sternberg's use of Phillips Holmes.

Here was a "beautiful young man", who had lived on his looks and felt entitled to the benefits.

Also, with "A Place In The Sun", Keefe Brasselle, who played the son, could have played Montgomery Clift's role.

It would have been a different performance.

But Brasselle, who distinguished himself in two Ida Lupino-directed films, did have the sexual allure.

• Like 2