Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So who really is Buddy Love?

It's either Jerry or Dean, right? Or bits of both? Didn't Lewis always say it was Martin?

Can I hear people chime in on this? Because while Buddy Love is "cool" and hip, he's also an S.O.B. Is that what Jerry really thinks of Dean? I always thought he looked up to him.

Can't comment on whether Buddy Love was Dean or not but I always thought Jerry looked up to him and loved him dearly. That includes the tough times.

I have two books on them. One is "Everybody Loves Somebody" by Arthur Marx (Groucho's son) and the other is primarily A Jerry biography. I haven't read them in a while. Granted they had a difficult breakup but they worked it out eventually. I've heard Jerry talk about calling Dean after his son died and how things were good after that time.

Yes, Jerry does seem to have almost worshipped Martin's style; i.e., his cool demeanor (Jerry was always the emotional "diva" in that professional relationship); his reputation as a ladies man.

After just watching "The Nutty Professor" it's still fascinating to watch; especially when he says lines like "maybe he hides his true feelings because he doesn't want to get stepped on". Seems like Jerry's heart is really in his script.

Only Jerry can say if Buddy Love was a shot at Dean because he is the only one who really knows. There was a lot of anger after their breakup. I've read several explanations for why it happened. On the Dean Martin show where he would open the door and find a surprise guest he once stated "If I open the door and Jerry is there I'm quitting." It was said as an adlib but his face suggested he meant it. On the reunion Frank Sinatra arranged on the telethon. After Frank and Dean left the stage McMahon said to Jerry "Maybe the two of you could work together again" Jerry promptly said "What me work with a drunk."

It's nice to think they made up before Dean died. Jerry likes to say they did but I've never heard any of Deans inner circle confirm it.

I'm afraid I'd have to put my money on Sinatra being the model for Buddy Love. Look at the movie more closely and you'll see Jerry's acting is a little edgier than Dean's personality. It's the same brassy demeanor Sinatra had.