Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I saw your commercial on Rita Hayworth and you guys never mentioned her Latin roots once, Margarita Carmen Cansino her time was a time of opression for all people and changing your name was common back then to fit in, not much has changed , please learn to embrace all american english and Latino american, millions of Latin people Idolise and love her, dont shame us anymore. God knows this is wrong.

The only biography I ever saw on Rita Hayworth, was on TCM. They completely covered her heritage and ethnic background. Not sure what commercial you are speaking of, but TCM is aware of her Latin roots, and has covered it in detail.

And it was clear to me that John was saying that, regardless of the promo/commercial and what it may have left unsaid, they have presented (several times) a perfectly wonderful documentary that fully covers it all. That more than makes up, in the minds of some of us, for not mentioning her background every time her name is mentioned.

I have not yet seen the promo, though I was vaguely aware of one earlier today. If it's one of the 3-4-5 minute long "Star of the Month" ones, then I do agree that was long enough that her Hispanic heritage could have been worked into it.

Bill

(Note to the original poster: This thread was designed as the place for people who are having trouble of some sort in using the forums - not for particular questions/observations about movies. The thought would reach a lot more people if placed in "Musicals," "Your Favorites," or "Films and Filmmakers," for example.)

I'm actually not sure it makes a lot of sense... promos are fairly short as it is, and none of the ones I've seen go into details such as place of birth, ethnicity, national origin, etc. If it was something done across the board, then it would be a different matter, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to make exceptions for actors who performed in the U.S. pretty much all their lives. If it was someone like, say, Carmen Miranda, Katy Jurado, Catherine Denueve, then it makes all the sense in the world, because they owe so much to their countries of origin.

none of the ones I've seen go into details such as place of birth, ethnicity, national origin, etc.

If the Gary Cooper promo, just to pick one, can go into why he rides a horse a certain way (his hurt back), or his laconic way of speaking, etc., then it certainly is part of her career story having started out in Vitaphone shorts as Rita Cansino, or even earlier as part of the Cansino family; that would naturally lead to discussion of her background. As I said, IF the promo is one of those that lasts several minutes; not if it was a 60-second wonder.

Bill

The Gary Cooper one was different because they had someone who'd known him talk about his life and career (I think the person was his daughter). We can only assme that whomever was asked to speak about Hayworth didn't think it was worth mentioning. There are a lot of performers who changed their names due to their careers, and that isn't necessarily mentioned in the promos, either. So I don't see how if it makes sense to treat Hayworth differently only on account of being a Latina. Treat everyone the same, regardless of ethnic origin.

Yoo-Hoo, "Sir John", come-out, come-out, wherever you arrrrre!

The SAME new thread, posted 3 times, on 3 different forums, within 3 minutes . . . challenging, volatile, singleminded, accusatory . . . and 2 days later, not one reply nor any new posts anywhere . . .

Hmmmmm . . and looking at the member's name . . makes me almost want to "dash" off to a conclusion . . .

But I won't .. cause I ain't going there today.

But what I will say is that here's ANOTHER new breeze that smells like the underside of a BRIDGE!

The SAME new thread, posted 3 times, on 3 different forums, within 3 minutes . . .

As I wrote below, this wasn't the forum for this thread in the first place - being only for problems in using the website, not information about movies. That should have closed it out, anyway, though I did follow up the reply to my post when I should have let it lie. Anything else about RH and her promo should be on some other thread. If the other posters went away, that was the proper thing to have done.

This one is for web troubles of one sort or another.

Bill