Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Bette Davis film?

path40a

Thanks to TCM, I've become a big fan of Bette Davis movies. There's a scene I've seen in various tributes and montages of her films which I don't recall seeing in any of the films of hers I've seen. She has a door or window at her back and has just lit a cigarette for herself and a man (back to us, so I'm not sure who it is, though it may be Herbert Marshall). Then, they both take a puff and share a "knowing look", even a wicked smile.

I'm thinking it could be "The Little Foxes" which I haven't seen, but would love to especially after reading some of the background about it in A. Scott Berg's excellent biography of Samuel Goldwyn.

Is that the movie that contains this scene? And, does TCM ever show "The Little Foxes"?

I wanted to log in since last night...I don't know what's goin' on with this web page!!!

This scene you're talking about is the classic scene from the landmark tearjerker "Now Voyager"(1942) and it features the great Bette Davis lighting up both her cigarette and Paul Henreid's....

By the way, Now Voyager is shown on TCM, and it's available on dvd and vhs

I also read some time ago Goldwyn's biography by Berg, and it's a very entertaining and telling book...I agree with you

Thank you very much, feaito. I'll keep checking the guides for "Now Voyager" and "The Little Foxes", which I also want to see.

ladymirabelle, I saw "The Letter" which doesn't contain that scene, but is very well worth watching if you haven't seen it ... another excellent Bette Davis performance!

Hey Path40a,

If you're a fan of Bette Davis I can also recommend to you, very much: "Mr. Skeffington" (1944) in which she plays a "belle" loved by Claude Rains & many others; the excellent "Dark Victory" (1939) with George Brent, Ronald Reagan & Humphrey Bogart; "The Old Maid" (1939) with Miriam Hopkins and George Brent (classic tearjerker); her oscar winning performance in the lavish "Jezebel" with Henry Fonda & George Brent (Here Bette really looks stunning); "The Petrified Forest" (1936) with Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart (here she portrays the dreamy Gabrielle);"The Great Lie" with a bitchy Mary Astor and George Brent; "All this and Heaven Too"....wonderful period drama with Charles Boyer; "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" (here she portrays Elizabeth I of England)with Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland; "A Stolen Life", in which Bette plays twin sisters with Glenn Ford; "Deception" with Claude Rains; "In This Our Life" with George Brent & Olivia de Havilland; the bitchy "Old Acquaintance" with Miriam Hopkins and Gig Young; and last, but not least the masterpiece "All About Eve" with Anne Baxter, Gary Merrill, George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter & Marilyn Monroe.

Oh, but there are so many others...when you are dealing with Bette Davis, there is so much quality viewing to choose from. You named many from her period when she was the "Queen", but there are many others, both before and after that should not be missed..."Of Human Bondage"(1935), where Life magazine stated she gave "probably the greatest performance yet given on the screen by a U.S. actress"..."Its Love Im After"(1937), a hilarious comedy with Leslie Howard..."Dangerous"(1935) her first Academy Award-winning performance..."The Star"(1952), a hard-hitting portrait of what happens when fame goes sour..."The Catered Affair"(1958) with Ernest Borgnine, and vivid proof of her supreme versatility..."The Nanny"(1965), a real shocker that will leave you guessing to the very last minute..."The Whales of August"(1988), her last completed film, with Lillian Gish as her sister...and how could anyone forget "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"(1962),where she played one of the most bizarre creatures to ever fill a screen!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I decided to make a list of the Bette Davis films I've had the pleasure of seeing on TCM in just the past year:

Kid Galahad (1937)

It's Love I'm After (1937)

Dark Victory (1939)

Old Maid, The (1939)

Letter, The (1940)

Man Who Came to Dinner, The (1942)

In This Our Life (1942)

Watch on the Rhine (1943)

Corn Is Green, The (1945)

June Bride (1948)

All About Eve (1950)

Catered Affair, The (1956)

Also, I taped Of Human Bondage (1934) last week (?), but have yet to watch it AND I will be taping two more this week:

Petrified Forest, The (1936)

Deception (1946)

Thanks TCM!!!

Well, I have to say, after seeing so many GREAT Bette Davis films on TCM, I've finally been disappointed. Perhaps I saw the best ones already?

I just had a chance to see Of Human Bondage and Deception, neither of which would I put in my Bette Davis top 10. Of course, my dislike of the first one was probably due to Leslie Howard's sleepwalking performance;-) But, Deception was just a really weak plot. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Davis' and, especially, Claude Rains' performances, but the "deception" was not only obvious but extremely thin for the motivation to protect it so, I thought.

I haven't had a chance to watch another I've taped yet, The Petrified Forest ... hopefully, the fact that Bogey is in it will help me endure watching another film starring Leslie Howard;-)

I'm also hoping that TCM will see fit to show Jezebel, The Little Foxes, Now, Voyager, and Dangerous!

I watched two Bette Davis films today which were years apart in the making. First was "The Letter" in which she gives an outstanding performance as a cold hearted murderess. The other "The Whales of August" was in the twilight of her career. Although old and ill she still had that magic and at times the lighting made her look like the old gal again. Starring with Lillian Gish it was a treat to see two old pros at work again just like magic.

Mongo

O.K., stlgal, I've now had a chance to see The Petrified Forest. My initial impression was "this must have been a play" which, after doing a little research, I found to be true.

SPOILERS!!!

It's an interesting film about "dreamers", or those searching for something other than their current situation, AND people who accept who they are (no matter how pathetic;-) The characters played by Leslie Howard and Bette Davis fall into the former group (Dick Foran too?), while Humphrey Bogart, "Gramps", and the others are in the latter. Genevieve Tobin's character switches "camps" during the course of the film, inspired by Howard's "love" for Davis.

It's watchable, but though I could identify people I know just like those in the film, none of them really "connected" with me personally. I think the film was historically significant to Bogart, but since this is the earliest of his films I've seen, I'm not sure why. The next earliest film of Bogey's I've seen on TCM is Kid Galahad (also starring Bette Davis!), which I enjoyed much more.

I, too, enjoyed The Petrified Forest as a screenplay - even though I found it to be somewhat predictable and "over-the-top" - (WHO would leave their estate to someone they met only an hour before??)

It was refreshing to see an early Bette Davis still with the innocence and naivatee of character. I always associated her with a vixen or harlot, (which she portrayed quite well). But she never came across as a loving person or nurturing mother, even when the script called for it (in later roles). Perhaps this was poor direction, but, to me, the term "great actress" should be reserved for those who are VERSATILE.

Archived