Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Support Your Local Sheriff

Has anyone seen this total comedy lately? I watched it again this afternoon, and some parts still make me laugh out loud. It's pure fun, no foul language, no blood, no vicious beatings. Gosh, how did they do it?

Bruce Dern staying in a jail cell with no door, and no bars on the windows. The writing on this is phenomenal. The deliverance of the lines, the facial reactions to things said, the crazy idea of one of the meanest, sleaziest 'bad' guys in films to that date as the Sheriffs' deputy, all blended together to make a film so enjoyable I wish it were available on TCM, to demonstrate what I mean when I say comedies are not funny any more.

Anne

Absolute agreement, ma'am. James Garner had that incredulous look about him that seemed to say "Are you going to give me grief or what" to everyone he met, yet every situation was under his total control. I caught myself chuckling as well.

One of my favorite comedies regardless of genre. The scene where Hackett sets her dress on fire makes me laugh every time. "Pooberty" hit her pretty hard." Garner wonderfully underplays everything.

Who would have thought jack Elam could be that funny.

Thoughout the 1960's James Garner was one of my favorite actors to watch, regardless of what he was in. This and the campanion movie Support Your Local Gunfighter! are hilarious. Elam as the dim-witted side-kick is perfect. I like to pull this one out and watch it at least every other year. This is the type of movie Disney should have been making in the 60's, with a little kick to the comedy.

I just finished watching Support your Local Gunfighter and although pretty funny at the end, the bulk of the movie was not as funny as 'Sheriff'. There were some good lines in it, and darn it, but I didn't look to see if the writer was the same, I'll have to look on imdB. Anyway, Sheriff had non-stop one-liners, and visual jokes all the time, and I mean non-stop. It was the kind of thing you were still laughing at the first joke so much that you didn't hear the second one. Gunfighter relied a little more on Jack Elam who was funny, but his antics didn't carry the movie.

Garner also did not have the quick lines he usually has. I wouldn't NOT recommend Gunfighter, but i would say it is not as good as Sheriff.

Anne

Anne:

I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember I didn't like it as well as "Sheriff." One thing was I kept wanting everybody to be the same people as "Sheriff." When you get that many of the same people in another movie it was hard for me to keep up as new characters.

I don't remember but just from watching the trailer it looks as if Pleshette (whom I like) is a bit over the top with her performance. What did you think?

Chris

Movieman:

Pleshette was a mile over the top. But in her defense, that's how the character was supposed to be. A crazy nut who formed her own opinion and nobody could change it, going around shooting people, and making accusations without a grain of proof.

She was so gorgeous, I'm kind of sorry she switched to TV instead of sticking with the movies.

She stood out like a bright light in Mr. Buddwing.

Anne