Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Help with some shorts

Can anyone help me with the name of some comedy shorts that feature live chimps that are dressed and act like humans? I remember there being quite a few of them, but I don't have any titles. Are they ever shown on TCM or are they in a collection of any kind? I thank you for any help you can provide with this request.

Patricia in Chicago

I can only recall seeing two shorts with chimps or some other kind of monkeys in the lead role. The first is Chuck Jones' rare step into live action called ORANGE BLOSSOMS FOR VIOLET from 1952. Look it up on IMDb for a synopsis. It's also available on Volume 2 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.

The other short (which I believe is one of the ones you're looking for) was called DANGEROUS DAPPER DAN and had the monkeys riding around on dogs back in the Old West. It's one of a series of shorts called Monkeyshines from Columbia in 1931. They're in the same vein as the Dogville Comedy shorts from MGM at the same time. There were five in all, but I couldn't tell you if they're out on DVD yet or not. Check here for a complete list: http://vitaphone.org/monkeyshines.html

I hope that helps,

Gerb