Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you could pick only one movie poster to own, what would it be?

Movie poster collecting is a major hobby (and investment) for some.

I am tempted between Casablanca, since it is my favorite movie, a Thief of Bagdad poster (Fairbanks version) because it has a Maxfield Parrish look to it,

Thief of Bagdad: http://members.cscoms.com/~suwat/poster/The_Thief_of_Bagdad.jpg

and This Gun for Hire (because it may be the most beautiful film poster of all).

This Gun for Hire: http://www.postermountain.com/images/thisgunafter-2.jpg

But I would probably end up going with Casablanca.

Casablanca: http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Casablanca-Poster-C10045006.jpeg

Out of all the posters ever made, what would be your choice of just one poster and your reason for wanting it?

Message was edited by:

filmlover

Cool Posters, Filmlover!!!

As I told Cinemascope in another thread I was fortunate enough to find a poster from the movie "Ace in the Hole". It has a picture of Kirk Douglas strangling Jan Sterling. I found it in a little obscure antique shop in the middle of no where and it is in mint condition!

I also have a couple of neat Tarzan posters with Johnny Weissmuller that were left to me by my Grandfather.

Incredible, Chelsea! Seeing all those posters took me back to about 1970 when I was really getting a lot of great posters. Gone now, sigh.

Any chance you miht be able to a direct-on shot of the mark of Zorro insert. Is that an original or rerelease? Looks gorgeous. And I love the Adam Had Four Sons. With Susan Hayward on it so breathtakingly, one forgets Ingrid Bergman was the star! Poor I.B., delegated to a small corner of her own poster.

I have an image of a Marlene Dietrich poster I snagged from a newsgroup that is too large to post that would be top of the list.

But this is a nice runner-up -

twen2.jpg

Kyle In Hollywood

While pondering the question, I discovered that Marcello Mastroianni has quit smoking. You see, I was thinking that perhaps I'd choose La Dolce Vita, and I looked for a reminder of the poster:

La-Dolce-Vita-Poster-C12211820.jpeg

But since the new DVD has come out, they made a little change:

poster.gif

I guess, one of those very large (six sheet) original Frankenstein posters. When I say "one of those"...I mean, poster number two. I believe only one six sheet Frankenstein has ever showed up in modern times.

I do own a one sheet Young Frankenstein. I bought that item at a Star Trek convention back in the early 1970s. The colors are still great...unfortunately, I kept the poster folded and in a drawer for many years. Even more unfortunate is when we tried to mount the poster on a linen backing...I don't want to talk about the experience right now.

Rusty

I used to have a Dawn of the Dead one sheet autographed by the make-up artist, Tom Savini, who I met at a sci-fi/horror convention. Don't remember what happened to it. And I used to have a cheap replica of The Creature from the Black Lagoon hanging in my bathroom ... it seemed the most appropriate place to hang it. My prized possessions are a 14x36 lobby insert of Some Came Running and a British quad of Night of the Hunter. There are too many movie posters that I'd love to have to just pick one. I'd probably go by artwork and concept, rather than by movie. I'm sure the B movie posters are more interesting than the A's

mongo -

I think you are right. It is sublime. There is something joyful in the simple beauty of that image.

Now, have you ever seen the film? I haven't but hope to one day. Dietrich. Lubitsch. Romance. What a combination.

Kyle In Hollywood