Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To Kill A Mockingbird

After reading Harper Lee's award winning novel, i was even more impressed with the movie. I'm a huge fan. Anybody feel the same? "To Kill A Mockingbird" is so meaningful. Scout Finch is hilarious, Gregory Peck does an incredible job as Atticus Finch. I can't rave about this movie enough. Reply to this thread. I wanna know who likes it, who hates it, and who gets what out of it? If you haven't seen it you are really missing out on this amazing film.

-respecttheclassics

Respect the classics:

I realize you are relatively new to this board, so if you go the the home page of this forum and type in 'To Kill a Mockingbird', you will find several threads devoted to this movie. It's very well loved and respected.

I'm not saying you won't get replies here, as we have several new posters from the last few months.

I love the movie, Gregory Peck was impeccable as Atticus, and it was his favorite role. The lady who wrote the book traveled with Mr. Peck in his later years and assisted in answering some of the questions put to him by audience members in his speaking tours. It was also our introduction to Robert Duvall, as Boo, in his first role.

The movie is a joy to watch, and a joy to read.

Anne

Well, this is certainly one of Gregory Peck's strongest films. Very well done.

I'm not usually a fan of kids in films...but this one is the exception. I think it added an interesting element, being told from Scout's POV.

i actually have belonged to these forums for about two years. i just wanted to change my user name. I know there are many other 'to kill a mockingbird' threads. i have to do a lot of research on pulitzer prizes and Harper Lee's "to kill a mockingbird" was my favorite. i wanted to start my own thread to see what replies the i would receive. yes, this movie is great. this movie is so important to just everyday life. it shows how horrible racial discrimination was and still is. Thank you for your interest.

> i actually have belonged to these forums for about

> two years. i just wanted to change my user name. I

> know there are many other 'to kill a mockingbird'

> threads. i have to do a lot of research on pulitzer

> prizes and Harper Lee's "to kill a mockingbird" was

> my favorite. i wanted to start my own thread to see

> what replies the i would receive. yes, this movie is

> great. this movie is so important to just everyday

> life. it shows how horrible racial discrimination was

> and still is. Thank you for your interest.

It is, thank you for renewing my enthusiasm in this movie. I'm really looking forward to a repeat viewing! B-)

It is one of my favorite films! Such a rich story.....Gregory Peck is touching and powerful as Atticus.

I get choked up every time I watch the courtroom scene where Tom is found guilty and then Atticus is slowly walking out of the courtroom, and the Reverend from up in the gallery says to Scout "stand up Miss Jane Louise...your father's passin'" And also....towards the end after Jem has been hurt and is in bed....and Scout notices Boo behind the door..."hey, Boo" and Atticus introduces her properly. Moments.....so wonderful!

Thank you for mentioning Harper Lee's book. I will definitely read it!

Baker:

So much of the movie is filled with 'moments'. Jem so aggravated with Scout for losing her dress, and Scout so embarrassed at having to wear the ham costume home. Jem fighting to protect Scout when they are being attacked. And the little boy visiting for the summer, being so grateful to have friends to play with, which he doesn't have at home. Of course the two you mentioned are the top of the pile.

Anne

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, and

I am so grateful Harper Lee had the courage to write

the book, and that Horton Foote wrote the screenplay.

Brock Peters, who passed away in 2005, gave one of the greatest performances ever on film.

His portrayal, as well as Gregory Peck's, forced everyone

who views that movie to take a long, hard, look at ourselves.

And there are many people who have the unpleasant jobs

in this world, and many people who have unpleasant lives,

but To Kill A Mockingbird gives everyone hope for a better

tomorrow.

Message was edited by:

SueSueApplegate

SueSue:

You are a true optimist!

My granddaughter loves this movie so much she literally stole my tape, she was lucky it was on the following week. SueSue if you like Greg Peck, have you ever seen 'The Keys of the Kingdom"? No matter what religion you follow, it's a good one about a young catholic priest in pre-war China trying to enroll converts without bringing down the wrath of the local Head Man.

Anne

A fine movie, although perhaps not as good as the book?

By BOSLEY CROWTHER

Published: December 30, 1944

The subtle and spiritual story of a Catholic missionary priest which was told with such warmth and vitality by A. J. Cronin in his novel "The Keys of the Kingdom" three years ago has been imaged in pictorial outline by Twentieth Century-Fox in a long and mellow film of the same title which opened at the Rivoli yesterday. To pretend that the picture has anything like the original's significance or scope would be a stupendous injustice to Dr. Cronin and to the character he conceived. As is often the case with "screen versions," especially those of outspoken books, the film is but a surface shadow of the substance that was so finely wrought. And yet, in a loose and popular fashion, it does show a picture of a man of impressively saintly disposition and affecting humility.

Again, this movie's right up there with The Best Years of Our Lives as my favorite. I read the book at thirteen, and never knew the movie existed until I was in my twenties. I don't think they could have done a better job adapting it to film. I love all the usual characters in the film, but my favorite performance had to be Collin Wilcox (Paxton) as Mayella Ewell. Her courtroom demeanor (and outburst!) during Peck's cross examination was simply brilliant. Love this film.