Sign in to follow this  
mrsl

Broadway Musicals and Movies associated with them

Good point, PFriedman.

Great background info, johnm.

I was making a joke, Cinemascope.

VEHICLE= ROLLS ROYCE

I am sorry you didn't get it. :)

I believe I mentioned this on another thread. I read Doris Day was more or less set to play Molly Brown (not Reynolds) in that picture, but after the failure of JUMBO they ruled her out. I think Day would have been a great Molly Brown. Not with Robert Goulet though. Not only could he not act, but I believe Day did not like him. Day did a recording of ANNE GET YOUR GUN with Goulet who was said to have had a big ego.

> {quote:title=LandLfan wrote:}{quote}

> I think MGM's adaptation of Kiss Me Kate was pretty good!

>

Ever had a chance to watch it in 3-D? Or are you just going by the regular 2-D version?

> {quote:title=johnm_001 wrote:}{quote}

> That's what I mean by MGM type (in bold), I'm not that up on what studio produced which movie. I just watch and enjoy.

>

> LOL. That's the best way to be, I guess. While I can find something to love, in musicals from all generations, I believe they became something truly great, with WEST SIDE STORY. Robert Wise and to an equal extent, screenwriter Ernest Lehman, took everything that made the Broadway show great, adapted it beautifully, for the medium of film, and gave us a masterpiece. They worked the same magic in THE SOUND OF MUSIC. In between films tried to measure-up to WSS's brilliance. Some succeeded, while others failed. But, even in their failures, there was often something beautiful to see and hear. The great, big screen musicals of the 60s really have no equal, before them or since.

I don't believe this poster actually posts here, anymore, but I agree with what he says. *West Side Story* ushered in a grander and mostly, more realistic approach to musicals. Pretty much all my favorite musicals are from 1960 onward. Not to say that I don't like all those Fox and Warner and even Columbia (where are those?) musicals, but *West Side Story* really changed everything.

As for *Kiss Me Kate*, it's kind of like how I felt about the recent *Journey to the Center of the Earth* - in 2D it's pretty weak, but in 3D it's pretty great.

> {quote:title=LandLfan wrote:}{quote}

> I've only seen the 2-D!

> jon

I hope you get the chance to watch it in 3-D someday - it's a breathtaking experience! B-)

The 3-D version of KISS ME KATE has played in LA revival theatres many times. A few years back they ran it at the big 3-D festival in Hollywood. Although it really didn't need the 3-D effects it was lots of fun seeing in that version. Ann Miller throws her fan at the audience and Tommy Rall seems to kick his legs right off the screen.