Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is it a mistake to favor certain film genres at the expense of others?

NipkowDisc

loss of cinema history...

when I was a kid I chilled to the horror of vintage mexican horror on chiller theater out of NYC on channel WPIX channel 11.

who can forget The Black Pit of Dr. M aka. misterios de ultratumba? but to us kids back then it was the former made available to us as an englished-dubbed import by K. Gordon Murray.

the english-dubbed film I saw on WPIX 50 years ago is now gone! lost!

because the hoy-faloy cinema verite types care more about golden age gangster and film noir fare then they do anything else.

I blame outfits like tcm. they coulda saved it! but all they ever do is fawn over fare like The Bad and the Beautiful and Meet Me in St. Louis. last year Rex Reason of This Island Earth fame passed away.

tcm coulda had him on but no. the sci-fi genre gets the short end just like it always has.

I do appreciate thursday nites this month with a real clever host like dennis miller but is it too little too late?

Maybe that was the ONLY place in the U.S. that played those movies back then.  I  certainly never heard of the movie you mention. 

Unless it had wide distribution in the U.S. when it was released and was largely watched by Americans back then, I would venture a gues that might be the reason TCM leaves it alone.

I also never noticed horror genre not being as "favored" as others on the channel.  Keep an eye on SVENGOOLIE though.  HE might show that one.  Kinda sounds more up HIS alley.  ;)

Sepiatone

I remember Chiller Theater, and Zacherley's Shock Theater, too, "The Crawling Eye" and Attack of the Crab Monsters" were a couple of favorites. I used to watch a lot and I mean a lot of Hercules and Machiste sword and sandal flicks. Also what about Laurel and Hardy? They seemed like a Saturday staple also. 

I remember Chiller Theater, and Zacherley's Shock Theater, too, "The Crawling Eye" and Attack of the Crab Monsters" were a couple of favorites. I used to watch a lot and I mean a lot of Hercules and Machiste sword and sandal flicks. Also what about Laurel and Hardy? They seemed like a Saturday staple also. 

I haven't reviewed the actual data (e.g. films by genre that TCM has shown over the last decade) but it does appear Sci-Fi gets the short end of the stick.

Oh well,  I'm glad for that since Sci-fi is one of my least favorite genres.   But it can be good as a weekend morning genre when one is nursing a hangover and the brain can only handle light \ fluff material. 

• Like 1

I haven't reviewed the actual data (e.g. films by genre that TCM has shown over the last decade) but it does appear Sci-Fi gets the short end of the stick.

Oh well,  I'm glad for that since Sci-fi is one of my least favorite genres.   But it can be good as a weekend morning genre when one is nursing a hangover and the brain can only handle light \ fluff material. 

Believe me the Sword and Sandal peplums were good for that too.

Maybe that was the ONLY place in the U.S. that played those movies back then.  I  certainly never heard of the movie you mention. 

Unless it had wide distribution in the U.S. when it was released and was largely watched by Americans back then, I would venture a gues that might be the reason TCM leaves it alone.

I also never noticed horror genre not being as "favored" as others on the channel.  Keep an eye on SVENGOOLIE though.  HE might show that one.  Kinda sounds more up HIS alley.  ;)

Sepiatone

but it won't be the same without the k. gordon murray english dubbing and that print has been lost.

I've heard of  'K. GORDON MURRAY' but I've never seen the movie you spoke of.  I have a few VHS releases from IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT with the heading 'The Euroshock Collection'.  A couple of those are K. Gordon Murray import flicks.  → If you want to know a specific title, Nipkow, just ask me and I'll go fish the tapes out and let you know. 

Every region had their own showcases probably.  Here in Detroit and the Metro area, horror flicks weren't featured that frequently in the '50's to my memory.  But by the '60's, we had a late night horror flick host who was made up as a "road show" MR. HYDE wearing a lab coat and called himself MORGUS.  Odd cat, but very popular.  By the early/mid '70's, a guy in a DRACULA get-up would host Saturday afternoon horror fare under the name "Sir GRAVES GHASTLY", and Morgus was gone by then.  "Sir Graves"  even hosted his show while sitting in a COFFIN!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Every region had their own showcases probably.  Here in Detroit and the Metro area, horror flicks weren't featured that frequently in the '50's to my memory.  But by the '60's, we had a late night horror flick host who was made up as a "road show" MR. HYDE wearing a lab coat and called himself MORGUS.  Odd cat, but very popular.  By the early/mid '70's, a guy in a DRACULA get-up would host Saturday afternoon horror fare under the name "Sir GRAVES GHASTLY", and Morgus was gone by then.  "Sir Graves"  even hosted his show while sitting in a COFFIN!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

we had philly's Dr. Shock. :)

Every region had their own showcases probably. Here in Detroit and the Metro area, horror flicks weren't featured that frequently in the '50's to my memory. But by the '60's, we had a late night horror flick host who was made up as a "road show" MR. HYDE wearing a lab coat and called himself MORGUS. Odd cat, but very popular. By the early/mid '70's, a guy in a DRACULA get-up would host Saturday afternoon horror fare under the name "Sir GRAVES GHASTLY", and Morgus was gone by then. "Sir Graves" even hosted his show while sitting in a COFFIN! :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

In Kansas City on KMBC (ABC-TV) we had a guy named Gregory Grave, who hosted Shock Theater.

That was in the late fifties and early sixties. He was supposed to be scary, but he was a TV director / writer who did this for fun. He was more funny than scary.

I watched this with my older brother, because I was too scared to watch alone. That's the first time I saw Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolfman.

It was only years later that I found out that there were shock theaters on television stations all over the country at that time-- to reintroduce the Universal horror classics to my generation.

BTW-- Movies like Vicente Minelli's Meet Me In St Louis were featured at least once a year on KCTV the CBS affiliate.

These movies were considered to be so special that they was shown twice in 24 hours-- once in the evening after 10:30pm on Friday or Saturday, then in the afternoon on the next day.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings