Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FRED ASTAIRE ? OR GENE KELLY ?

Yup, I mentioned them a long time ago somewhere on this site.

Not sure if acrobatic tap is what they did, but whatever it was, it was amazing. I was always a big fan of Hines, Hines and Dad as a yout, and loved the dancing step where the dancer leaned forward, all the while dancing like mad.

Amazing men.

I prefer Gene Kelley, but I had read many stories that he was not a nice man - very tough to work with and a disciplinarian. Therefore, I'd say Fred Astaire was the better gentleman and dancer. I've never heard a bad word about him. I thought Gene Kelly was handsome but I always thought his teeth were so huge that they'd pop out of his mouth - he always had this very annoying large grin on his face.

>Then he asked if i needed help. Then i said no but you can come over to my >place. He said okay. So i drove him to my apartment. My apartment at the time >was very small but it had my fathers piano in it. he sat down and tought me a >piano duet. That was fred for you.

------------------------------------------------------

hawkraven - Seriously ? Upon introducing himself, at the spur of the moment, Fred accepted your invitaion, jumped in your car and rode to your place with you ? If any, what was the conversation during that trip ? And seriously, you had Fred sitting at your dad's piano teaching you a duet ? Sooo .. "that was Fred for you" ??? Amazing, simply amazing. Do you remember in what decade this was and approx. how old you were ? I assume you lived in Hollywood ?

> Sure sounds like a romantic story, doesn't it? B-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinemascope - I considered that ... it does ... which would explain ..... things.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like them both, but if I must choose, it's Mr Astaire, no question about it. I love his low-key elegance-this is the man who could wear, as practice clothes, a shirt and pants, with a bandanna tied around his slim waist, and at that very moment look as if he'd just left a shop in Savile Row. His dancing had the same quality-never let 'em see you sweat-easy does it--while actually being incredibly demanding. No bravura, he drew you in, "just a little dance amongst friends", while doing the most intricate steps. He made his innovations look natural rather than impressive. I just prefer his style.

• 3 weeks later...