Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The name of the 1940's horror movie that was similar to The Shining

I am looking for the title of the movie Stephen King was accused of plagerizing for 'The Shining'. It was from the 1940's. The plot was the same, the bartender even looked the same, and there was a woman, a little girl, and the male lead played the role of a man with buried rage so well, it scared me far more than The Shining. In this one, the man went around with a large knife and when the wife hid in a small room, he stabbed the knife through the door. If anyone can remember this movie, please tell me the title. I'd like to see if I get the movie on dvd.

It's been suggested that the scene of Wendy huddling in the corner with her butcher knife while Jack wields his axe through the door is a reference to the 1919 Lillian Gish classic Broken Blossoms, but I'm not aware of one 1940's film that contains all the attributes that you've mentioned. Now I'm curious...

You're right, Mr. Klondike! I hadn't read that correctly: the original poster is saying that the book was accused of plagerizing an earlier movie. The screenplay was by Mr. Kubrick and Diane Johnson. I wonder if this is what the OP intended to suggest? Or if s/he meant that Mr. Kubrick's movie copied another film. I would imagine "paying homage" to an earlier movie (e.g., Broken Blossoms) would be more likely, if true at all. Hopefully, the original poster will return to clarify.

"People come and go so quickly here."

Ack ~ I saw that movie, too! I can't remember the name of it, darn this Alzheimer's! Unfortunately, it seems to be a common practice with authors to "lift" portions of other books, movies, myths, etc., expand on them and incorporate them into their publications. While not actually plagiarism, it comes pretty close. When I was younger, I was enthralled by Stephen King. Not so much, now. I've come across many instances in reading other books and watching films that I'm sure he must also have seen! If only my memory would kick into gear to give credence to this statement! I have come to the conclusion that his only completely original (and in my estimation, best) work is "The Body" on which "Stand by Me" is based. In reading between the lines, this work seems to me to be totally autobiographical and therefore completely his own.

The story of Broken Blossoms is nothing like that of The Shining though. I only mentioned it because it's been said that Kubrick's scene with Jack's axe going through the door while Shelly Duvall is cowering with the knife is a reference to a similar scene in D. W. Griffiths' original Broken Blossoms from 1923. Conversely, Wikipedia* lists other works that reference the Kubrick movie. If you're interested, click here.

_________

* The Wikipedia articles, by the way, make no allusion to the book version of The Shining as being evidence of plagiarism, though it does mention that "the concept of a building having a conscious will (or a soul, as it were), [was] an idea explored also by Edgar Allan Poe in The Fall of the House of Usher and Shirley Jackson in The Haunting of Hill House. Unfortunately, we still haven't received confirmation from the original poster if s/he thought the book or the movie was copying an earlier work...