Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gumbogrrl

What is up with the programming?

I have been very disappointed with the programming in the last 6 months or so. Possibly longer. It seems that everytime I turn on TCM I am either tuning into a western, a war movie or some "new" movie from the 1960's or 70's.

I suppose that I am a purist. I enjoyed programming about 3 years ago when I would regularly tune in to see Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart or Joan Crawford.

I don't know what is going on at TCM, but I am not happy with the current movies they are showing. Some seem like movies that would more appropiate to be on AMC or one of those channels.

As far as who is tuning in...I am 35 and love the old black and whites. There is a whole new generation coming up that loves the OLD classics!

Not everyone that visits the site registers as a member right away. I visited off and on for almost two years before I ever signed on. Welcome aboard Gumbogrrl!

Hollis

Although I can't say I have been displeased with TCM's programming, because it does include so many classics I have never seen before, the original poster does have a point. The programming does seem slightly different than it used to--for example if you look at the upcoming schedule you will not find any Norma Shearer or Greta Garbo titles. That, to me, is a little unsettling in itself, and indicative that other majors are also missing from the lineup. I remember when it used to be that you'd type in one of those stars in the search box and get 10 schedule results..

Actually, the June schedule shows the first two things for the month are a Garbo documentary, followed by The Painted Veil.

You're right Fred. I have found that in the last year I have probably watched TCM live about twice a month. And these boards are going down the tubes too.

Having worked in the public eye (including television programming for nearly a decade) I have formed a theory about audience feedback.

If TCM is getting an equal number of complaints that they are airing too many/not enough movies from the thirties, not enough/too many movies from the 1950s, too many Western and not enough Musicals/too many Musicals and not enough Westerns, people objecting to Letterboxing/people who believe that every movie should be in Letterbox, and that TCM is airing too many/not enough b&w films, then TCM is probably doing the best that can be done in their situation.

Certainly, TCM shows films I don?t wish to see, but they also show movies which I very much do wish to see, movies I only think that I might wish to see because I have only heard about them before, and movies I have not so much as even heard of previously.

No one can please everybody, but if the complaints from the various sides of all the myriad conflicts of opinion are roughly even, that is about all anyone can ask.

My 1.72 cents worth. (2 cents Canadian)

Dimitrios - You have provided everyone here with a perfectly concise and accurate appraisal of the situation regarding TCM's programming. Thanks!

Dimitrios,

You reminded me of something I posted several months ago. Just goes to prove this argument will go on forever:

"There's something I was thinking the other day that I wanted to address to everyone after reading through various threads:

Someone was saying TCM should only run films that are not on DVD.

Another column is devoted to films that people think TCM runs too much.

Another column has people writing about films that TCM doesn't show enough.

Other people said TCM should be showing all of the Fox, and Paramount, and Universal films.

Some want no films made after 1955, some want more.

Some want more foreign films, some want none.

Some want more silent films, while others don't want any more to air.

Some want no war or musical films. Some don't like westerns.

Some love Oscar month while others hate it with a passion because they show more recent films.

And all this leads into my point...and that is sometimes we ask TCM too many times to be all things to all people. We praise them but say get more, get more! Have we no other channels on our satellites, cable, or rabbit ears? Are there no video stores in our vicinity?

Can't we just acknowledge what a great job they do and be happy with what we do get, without getting upset because they: 1. rarely show, or 2. never show, or 3. show too many times ________________ (fill in the blank with the title or star)?

It's like we want this one channel to handle every single thing we want to see, with no regards to what their limits might be (budget, availability, etc.).

I say cut them some slack."

I see you are in Canada. I used to live there, too. Like minds at work.

> All of these debates about how the programming sucks

> gets on my nerves. I mostly like newer stuff from

> after the 50's,

You can watch that stuff on half a dozen other channels.

AMC started out for people like us, showing older films that are rare and classic. A few years later they decided they could make more money turning AMC into a commercial ?Woman?s Channel?, so for several years they showed many made for TV movies about women, the same thing and the same films half a dozen other women's channels were showing. The AMC profits fell. Now they are experimenting with some older movies again.

TCM started by showing older films and classics from several eras. They are tired of that now and they are showing turkeys now from the ?50s, ?60s, ?70s, and ?80s. They, like AMC, are losing their main audience that made them a big network to start with.

I don?t watch TCM much anymore. There is not a film showing all day today that I want to see. I don?t post on this board much anymore. If the TCM price goes up on my satellite system, I?m going to drop it altogether.

> No. By "narrow minded" I meant having an extreme

> dislike of anything "new" .

I don?t care about the physical age of a film. There are a lot of us who used to like TCM because older films were more artistic. Newer films are less artistic. It?s like people who love listening to classical music and all of a sudden their favorite radio station starts playing punk rock, while there are already half a dozen punk rock stations on the air.

I suppose that I am a purist. I enjoyed programming about 3 years ago when I would regularly tune in to see Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart or Joan Crawford.[/i

I suppose that I am a purist. I enjoyed programming about 3 years ago when I would regularly tune in to see Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart or Joan Crawford.

I completely agree withy you the programming as changed; I noticed it as well, still some here call me misguided in holding such a view, and yet I still hold that view: there as been quite a shift over those years. And its for the worse.

I agree that's it's rare that I can plunk myself down on the couch at exactly 8 p.m. and be in love with what's on TCM - but that's okay. They are still the best thing going. I just can't believe no other station even wants to complete. The taping does take some diligence - I just happen to have time in my life to do it right now, which is a bit complicated since I'm a tekkie - gremlin and still dealing with a VCR. But it's all worth it - I have a stack of Saint and Falcon movies to watch and am looking forward to Boston ****. And I absolutely can't wait until next month's new pre-code movies.

Fred - I'm sorry you're so aggravated with it all right now - I know how you love the oldies - I'm guessing there are more that are 'new to me' than new to you. I was wondering what the heck all that was yesterday afternoon. Very strange.

B

"I don?t watch TCM much anymore. There is not a film showing all day today that I want to see. I don?t post on this board much anymore. If the TCM price goes up on my satellite system, I?m going to drop it altogether."

Fred, I agree with you, and I am dropping TCM this summer when my cable is going up. It just isn't worth it anymore. Luckily I have over 1000 movies recorded to watch.

Personally, if I ever decided that TCM was no longer worth the cost to me of maintaining it on cable, or satellite, I certainly wouldn't go on treating myself to the hospitality of their free website.

TCM programming is better than ever, in my opinion. I watch it more that I ever have. So much variety, it's incredible. I can't imagine how anyone can complain about it.

TCM programming is better than ever, in my opinion. I watch it more that I ever have. So much variety, it's incredible. I can't imagine how anyone can complain about it.

I agree.

Bravo, TCM, don't change a thing!

klondike, never mention Bravo and TCM in the same sentence, even if you're not talking about that other channel! ;-)

I know that TCM is trying to reach out to a larger audience, but I really loved TCM when their main concentration was on showing films from the mid 1920s-mid 1940s. I wish they would broadcast more early thirties MGM films like John Gilbert's early talkies (however badly they were received in their day). I would like to see more Ramon Novarro, Myrna Loy, Virginia Bruce, Ann Harding, Norma Shearer (The Trial of Mary Dugan for instance), rare Crawford rare silents, early Garbo talkies ("Romance" and "Inspiration" for instance), and some of the rarely shown MGM musicals from 1929-1958. I could go on and on, but I think if a "TCM Administrator"sees this, they'll get my drift. TCM needs to remain a special place for movie lovers of the classic Hollywood period, as it was intended. I hope many others share my opinion!

> I know that TCM is trying to reach out to a larger

> audience, but I really loved TCM when their main

> concentration was on showing films from the mid

> 1920s-mid 1940s. I wish they would broadcast more

> early thirties MGM films like John Gilbert's early

> talkies (however badly they were received in their

> day). I would like to see more Ramon Novarro, Myrna

> Loy, Virginia Bruce, Ann Harding, Norma Shearer (The

> Trial of Mary Dugan for instance), rare Crawford

> rare silents, early Garbo talkies ("Romance" and

> "Inspiration" for instance), and some of the rarely

> shown MGM musicals from 1929-1958. I could go on and

> on, but I think if a "TCM Administrator"sees this,

> they'll get my drift. TCM needs to remain a special

> place for movie lovers of the classic Hollywood

> period, as it was intended. I hope many others share

> my opinion!

While I'm not particularly unhappy with the current schedules, I wouldn't at all mind TCM going back more towards that direction! B-)

The size of the Warners Library (all RKO, all pre-1986 MGM and all Warner Bros films) makes it one of the largest Film Libraries.

George Feltenstein even said during the recent HTF chat that it will still take years to get that library completely converted to digital. As I said, it is costly and can be very labor intensive because the elements are not always in the best of shape.

As for TCM running more films from the Warners Library, this forum is filled with threads of people complaining about there not being enough variety in the schedule of classic films. There is one thread dedicated to the rerunning of Bringing Up Baby and many others.

As TCM Programmr has pointed out, they have been working hard to get more films from other studios so that we can enjoy the films we have been clamoring to see.

The films in the WBros library are great but a steady diet of them and only them tends to leave us hungry for the other studios films.

TCM has a viewership of over 60 million and the majority of those viewers don't post on this message board.

They are trying to keep us all happy.

Thanks for the clarification, lzcutter. These are excellent points, many of which

I was completely unaware of as a regular reader and sometimes

poster on these boards.

> For many of you, this will be a rehash of a post I

> have done more than once:

>

> Thirteen years ago when TCM became a network, we were

> not in the digital server age but a video tape server

> age.

>

That's a bunch of hooey.

TCM is showing more modern movies because of a management decision, just like AMC did. And TCM is losing its traditional viewer base because of all this modern crap they are showing, and because they are putting their old classical films on the air at 3 AM in the morning, when none of us old movie fans can watch them. Then they screw up on the timing of their films and we can't even tape them.