Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unknown film shown in Essiantials ad

ck3814

Just saw an ad for TCM Essiantials.

In it, there was a short clip from a movie I have not seen before. The clip is in color. It contains a "very old" man laying in a bed attempting to raise his head(?). The room is mostly white with roman style statues and a strange wall/canvas near the foot of the bed.

Anyone have any idea what movie this is from?

Thanks,

Chad Kyle

I knew it would be from something I've seen dozens of times!

I have NO recollection of that scene at all.

Thanks for letting me know I need to visit a neurologist about my lapses in memory.

Thanks,

Chad Kyle

I still do not get that movie. I've watched it several times and can't pull it together. If anyone can give an eye opening explaination I would certain enjoy it. I know it might take a lot to explain so I will not hold my breath if it can't be done. Thanks anyway.

*2001 SPOILERS*

If you're looking for a concrete meaning, you're probably not going to be satisfied. The book gives a more literal interpretation of the story, so that might help.

Basically it's about a mysterious black obelisk that appears whenever mankind is ready to take an evolutionary step. First at the beginning, when we learn to use tools, and then at the end when Bowman becomes the Starchild. The other astronauts weeded out of the pool because they lived by set patterns to survive (HAL) which (thanks to the obelisk) malfunctioned. So Bowman was deemed fit to carry on in a new form while the rest of the race was cleaned out because they relied too heavily on machines. I think in the book this is exemplified by a series of atomic explosions.

That help?

As simply as I can put it:

Part one:

The obelisk gave some apes the ability to use tools, thus dooming the ones who couldn't.

Part two:

The obelisk gave one ape the ability to live without tools, while the ones who needed tools doomed themselves.