Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Roger Moore (1927-2017)

The dashing British actor Sir Roger Moore has died aged 89. He was a great James Bond, perhaps the most suave and polished of all the actors who played Ian Fleming's hero.

He appeared in many films and on television in such roles as Simon Templer in The Saint.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/23/roger-moore-saint-persuader-and-the-suavest-james-bond-dies-aged-89

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40018422

wenn5029930.jpg

• Like 8

WOW 007 the 2nd inchrilogicalorder went& at 90!

I'll always recall recall what Joe Siegel said around 1983 GMA  "Roger Moore's a Movie Star, but Connery's an actor" unquote

GOOD SCOOP!

But is George Lazenby still with us?

• Like 1

I am really sorry to read this news.

I was raised as a kid watching Roger Moore as Simon Templar in The Saint (in fact I am currently going through a DVD box set of the entire 7 season series).

Moore always brought coolness under fire and an unflappable charm to the role, as he would to his James Bond films.

Sir Roger was devoted to the cause of helping impoverished children around the world with over 20 years service as a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.

As a humanitarian, Moore also spoke to the world on behalf of people regarding disability rights, landmine injuries and those plagued by HIV/AIDS.

Truly a class act!

viet1.jpg

Roger+Moore+Presents+UNICEF+2009+Report+

Roger-Moore-The-Saint-e1424881262507.jpg

RIP, Sir Roger Moore.

Your screen elegance and savoir faire brought so much pleasure to fans over the years.

And you were also a bit of a saint in more ways than one.

• Like 9

Earlier this year I discovered the TV series The Persuaders!, which he did with Tony Curtis in the early 70s. It led me to look at his work as James Bond. And that led me to spending two months covering Bond films in the Essentials forum. Thanks to everyone who joined in and participated. After we finished (and moved on to Timothy Dalton's films) I couldn't help but continue feeling Roger is the definitive 007. Of course he did so many other kinds of roles-- a memorable and remarkable performer.

Thanks for entertaining us for so many decades. 

screen-shot-2017-05-23-at-7-17-44-am.png

• Like 4

WOW 007 the 2nd inchrilogicalorder went& at 90!

I'll always recall recall what Joe Siegel said around 1983 GMA  "Roger Moore's a Movie Star, but Connery's an actor" unquote

GOOD SCOOP!

But is George Lazenby still with us?

I always thought from day one that Roger Moore was a damn good James Bond.

sure, his 007 persona was more suave-ish but Moore as Bond packed the gear imo.

• Like 1

I wasn't too fond of Moore as Bond, but he was very good in most of the other things he's done.

Oh, and TOMJH:  The only reasonI bothered to start watching  "The Saint" was because I rememered Moore from his time on MAVERICK.

He had a good run and was also a top-notch humanitarian.  He will be missed.

RIP, sir.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I wasn't a big fan of his as an actor-that suave British thing isn't mine-but he wrote a fascinating and informative autobiography and is a real hero for his work for and with children.  I also enjoyed him on the various talk shows through the years.  I'll have to find and read that last autobio from 2014. 

Robert Wagner said in his book that when their good friend, David Niven, died he was alone as his wife was on a trip.  One of his children called Sir Roger who immediately took over helping with the arrangements.  RIP, Sir Roger, you were much more than just that title, you were the real deal. 

• Like 3

Connery will always be the quintessential Bond, but Moore certainly made moviegoers comfortable when he took over the franchise.

My favorite sequence featuring Moore as 007 is from "Moonraker." Check out the look on his face at the 2:54 mark.

Big big fan of Mr Moore.

My James Bond as I was 10 years of age when Roger debuted as Bond.

Still believe The Spy Who loved Me is the greatest Bond movie and his best work.

I own both The Saint and The Persuaders box sets and this weekend I'll have a martini shaken not stirred in his honour.

• Like 1

Sad to hear this, goodness people are getting old too fast. RIP Roger Moore.  :(

What's really scary is that Moore acted with people such as Wanda Ventham -- Benedict Cumberbatch's mother -- in episodes of "The Saint."

ufo%2Bgirls%2B%252816%2529.jpg

Cumberbatch's mother and his father Timothy Carlton (born Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch) play Sherlock Holmes' parents in episodes of the BBC's "Sherlock" series.

sherlock1.jpg

A Moore performance I'd love to see again is his starring role in "ffolkes" (1980, also released as "North Sea Hijack"). He plays a counter-terrorism expert named Rufus Excalibur ffolkes, who has a fondness for cats and knitting. The character is light years removed from Simon Templar and Bond.

The action film also starred James Mason, Anthony Perkins, David Hedison and the late Michael Parks.

zahvat-v-severnom-more-scene.jpg

• Like 3

What's really scary is that Moore acted with people such as Wanda Ventham -- Benedict Cumberbatch's mother -- in episodes of "The Saint."

Cumberbatch's mother and his father Timothy Carlton (born Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch) play Sherlock Holmes' parents in episodes of the BBC's "Sherlock" series.

sherlock1.jpg

How is that scary?

• Like 1

Alright, I'll say it. Wanda certainly seems to vent 'em in that photo.

How is that scary?

Just the thought that time really flies -- ushering in new generations of actors.

Moore also appeared in episodes of "The Saint" with the Canadian actress Suzanne Lloyd (not to be confused with the British actress Sue Lloyd). Her daughter Tracy E. Bregman has played Lauren Fenmore since 1983 on the CBS daytime dramas "The Young and the Restless" and "The Bold and the Beautiful."

suzannelloyd4.jpg

Moore with Lloyd

iY7gloPX.jpg

Bregman

While I enjoy most of the Moore Bond movies, for me Sean Connery is the definitive James Bond. Guess that is because he was the one I first saw when the series originated.  I read all the Ian Fleming Bond books at the time and could "see" Connery as Bond.

My favorite Bond movie is From Russia with Love.

However,  Moore was very entertaining and did very good work as Bond.  He was more humorous than Connery.  I think he and the director intentionally portrayed the role with more humor.  Perhaps if he had been cast in Dr. No, he could have identified the role.

As for the other Bonds, Daniel Craig comes closest to my version of Bond.  The worst was Pierce Brosnan.  But to be fair, I never have liked him since I first saw him in Remington Steele.  Brosnan was closer to Moore in style for Bond, but did not have near the savior faire, understated humor, class, whatever that Moore had.

Not to take away from Moore.  He was a gifted actor and have enjoyed all of his movies and TV shows.

... the savior faire, understated humor, class, whatever that Moore had.

I like this line because it signifies the truly enigmatic quality Roger Moore had on screen. He was unique.

I hope TCM's programmers read this thread and schedule a Roger Moore movie in late December for its year-end In Memoriam segment. He deserves the recognition.

screen-shot-2017-05-23-at-1-49-28-pm.png

• Like 2

The dashing British actor Sir Roger Moore has died aged 89. He was a great James Bond, perhaps the most suave and polished of all the actors who played Ian Fleming's hero.

He appeared in many films and on television in such roles as Simon Templer in The Saint.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/23/roger-moore-saint-persuader-and-the-suavest-james-bond-dies-aged-89

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40018422

wenn5029930.jpg

I never gave a tinker's damn for Sean Connery as James Bond. I thought his take was extremely overbearing and sexist. But he was a tremendous hit and role model with the young men.

However, when Roger Moore became James Bond, I decided I absolutely had to take another look at this franchise-series because, after all, he had been one of "my" TV actors from the Warner Brothers stable.

The first time I recall seeing Roger Moore is in The Alaskans - - co-starring with Dorothy Provine and Jeff York in 1959. WB executives, like William T. Orr, were so impressed with him that when they lost James Garner, they put Roger Moore in as a third Maverick, named Beau-- explaining his accent as being an English cousin.

What I found that I liked about Roger Moore as James Bond was that he didn't so much try to overpower or manipulate women - - he enjoyed their company and he didn't mind if they, at times, overpowered him.

Also, Roger Moore had a gift for comedy that he would easily intersperse at any moment during suspenseful or amorous sequences in the James Bond series.

So, soon I found myself changing from a person who despised James Bond to a person who waited anxiously for every opening of a new James Bond, starring Roger Moore. If it opened on Friday, I was there on Saturday.

Roger played James Bond 7 times. The last one I remember was A View to a Kill in 1985. He co-starred with Grace Jones and if my memory serves me well, he quit the series while he was still on top and in great physical shape.

I've heard some rumors that the James Bond movies have continued--

but I wouldn't know about that because for me they ended when

Roger Moore left the 007 soundstage at the Pinewood Studios.

• Like 3

If any of you get AntennaTV, Roger Moore will be a guest on Johnny Carson tonight. Looks like the network changed from another Carson episode to honor Moore. They have done this before.

• Like 1