Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What started your classic movie interest?

It's always interesting to hear story's about how their classic movie interest began, so in this thread share your story with everyone :)

Here's mine;

It was a couple years ago and my mom bought Meet Me in St.Louis for us to watch as a family, and being a typical highschool student I really didn't want to watch an OLD movie. Haha little did I know it was going to be really good, and after that i just kept watching more and more. And that's how it all started !!

I think it was mostly on account of my parents showing me lots of classic movies, in the earliest days of video. Things like Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, How Green was my Valley and several Chaplin titles.

It seemed to me that classic movies had so many interesting things about them, and in some aspects newer movies couldn't compete with that!! B-)

My dad always liked On The Waterfront and I never thought I'd like it. One day it was on TCM a few years ago and I decided to watch it and was overwhelmed at how great a movie it was and what an awesome and handsome actor Marlon Brando was. After seeing that film, I bought lots of Brando films and have liked his movies and classic films ever since.

I wish classic movies were the only ones on television :P , they (to me) are so much better than any recent movie could be. That's cool how you grew up with, i wish i had found out about them a long time ago

When I was around five my parents and Grandparents would always watch movies on Friday and Saturday nights on t,v. and thought it would be good to have me watch something other then cartoons and had me watch a Ma and Pa Kettle movie they had me hooked after that . I know people think those movies were corny I just I loved them and Of course my dad got me hooked on the Marx Brothers.But I have to thank an aunt of mine she took me to see HUD when I was Teen and Ever since then I have had this crush on Mr. Newman. Now I have my youngest hooked on the classics.

During summer break from school I would set and watch all the old movies they showed and just fell in love with the old black and white films of the time period. To watch a film you knew what was going on instead of a plot that didn't make a bit of scents.

My story is like that of johnm_001

By the time I was eight years old, my parents had taken me to about four movies (Abbott & Costello and Ma & Pa Kettle) when we got our first B&W nine inch television set. The only TV station we could receive that night showed a movie, and did so every evening.

In that first week I saw more black and white, nine inch movies than I had in the preceding eight years of my life.

Two weeks later, my father finished erecting the antennae, and we could then get three different channels.

I then had something new ? a choice of movies.

Over the years, more TV stations broadcasting longer hours sprang up and filled many of those hours with old movies. Soon I could, if I wished, watch movies as long as I could stay awake, watching The Sunrise Movie, The Morning Movie, Movies at Noon, The Afternoon Matinee, The Supper Show, The Prime Time Movie, the Late Show, and The Late Late Show.

It was a bit like having TCM, but with commercials and snow.