Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gremlin seeks DVDR advice

I've read a lot of information on this site, and do not understand it. I bought a **Samsung HDTV Compliant DVD Recorder & VCR DVD-VR375,** for the purposes of recording onto DVDs and transferring VHS tapes to DVD. It has been a nightmare. I had two different men, at two different times, help me get it set up. One of them is a computer programmer. I have a Cable box, and a receiver with speakers, that I wanted to integrate with my TV. My ex-husband set up my TV and VCR so that the TV ran through the VCR and I could have the TV sound and the stereo sound. My guys that set up my new system, said the new DVD recorder did not have the same outputs or inputs, plus I had a cable box. and I can only hear the stereo sound when watching or recording on to DVDs. I hope this makes sense.

When setting Timer Recordings, I have to set the systerm to VR1 (vs VR2 or TV or Channel 3). It makes NO difference what I type in, such as "Record from Channel 55", my cable box has to be set to the channel that I want to record from, or I get no signal, therefore NO recording. I think it has to do with the cable box. I've tried to by-pass it, but it seems to make no difference.

All this sounds insane. I hate this new Recorder, but I cannot take it back. Also I cannot watch anything else other than what I am recording. I do not know if this has to do with my stereo being attached to the Recorder.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Do not worry about the lingo. What I will do is copy your advice and give it to my guy friend. I am an intelligent woman, but I give up on this technical stuff.

Thanks!

Miss Goddess,

I responded on the CDFreaks Forum to your post concerning problems with your DMR-EZ47 model. On that Forum, as well as the AVS Forum, I am known as DigaDo (after the "Diga" found on Panasonic DVD Recorders and combo recorders; adding that "Diga" machines "Do" work well for me, hence my screen name "DigaDo").

The problem with disc failures on a Panasonic seldom has anything to do with the lens. The problem is with dust, smoke, or oily residue (due to handling the disc through the center hole) that collects on the rubber hub/spindle in the DVD drive. This causes the DVD to slip during read, write and finalizing operations.

On both the AVS Forum and CD Freaks I have posted detailed advice for opening the Panasonic case, removing the DVD drive lid, a link to the Saint Baz Hub/Spindle Cleaning Procedure (originally found on CD Freaks), advice and cautions concerning DVD drive reassembly, and closing the Panasonic. The AVS Forum is the more active of these fora.

I gleaned from your CD Freaks post that you opened your DMR-EZ47, removed the disc, replaced the DVD drive lid and closed your Panasonic. Following that you experienced additional complications. I responded with my opinion as to what the problem might be. (I didn't make a copy of the text. It seems that the CD Freaks Forum is down as I compose this post.)

I recall, from your description, that I suspected that the roller/slider at the rear of the disc tray may not have been positioned to the far left where it must align with the guide rail on the underside of the DVD drive lid. If the drive lid is reinstalled without the correct positioning of the roller/slider, or the drive lid has not been properly anchored at the front and secured properly by the small phillips screws toward the corners of the DVD drive lid, there are sure to be complications. A sure indication of DVD drive problems are unusual sounds, especially loud clunks.

In my CD Freaks response I posted a photo showing the roller/slider in the correct left-most position. The photo also showed the lens and hub/spindle areas.

I believe my CD Freaks response included an AVS Forum link to a thread that included the cleaning and reassembly information and remedies for various reassembly complications. There are photographs attached to some of those AVS Forum posts. That thread is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055071

While I do not own a DMR-EZ47 (so I may not address problems specific to that model) there is an AVS Forum thread (currently with 525 posts) dedicated to your model, found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856924&highlight=dmr+ez47

General and model-specific advice may be found there. That thread has seen little activity since July. There are other threads discussing various 2007 or 2008 Panasonic models. The 2008 model most like your DMR-EZ47 is the DMR-EZ48. The thread for that model remains active. Those threads also provide general advice for problems common among these models. The general AVS Forum DVD Recorder Forum is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Unfortunately the 2007 and newer Panasonics are bug-laden and have various design flaws that make for a variety of operational and performance problems. Many posters have described, in detail, problems with these recent Panasonic models. I own two 2007 model year Panasonics, both entry-level DMR-EZ17 models. In the AVS Forum I have described several problems, including design flaws, with these bug-laden products. These machines occaionally lock-up and require resetting (through the recessed button behind the fold-down door). Due to their reliability issues my 2007 model Panasonics are used very little. With little use they do not present many problems for me.

I own twelve functional Panasonics. Most are 2005 and 2006 models, only one of which, the DMR-ES40V (from 2005) are problematic by design. The (2) DMR-ES30V combo recorders (from 2005), the (3) DMR-ES15 DVD recorders and (4) DMR-ES35V combo recorders (from 2006) are the outstanding old reliable workhorses. Five of these models have more than 3,000 recording hours per machine. My original DMR-ES30V now has more than 4,300 recording hours and remains in daily service, today recording nine hours from TCM.

I also own a 2007 model year Philips DVDR3575H/37B DVD/Hard Drive recorder that offers reliable functionality and great flexibility.

I hope that you may resolve the difficulties with your Panasonic before the Kay Francis movies begin showing on Thursday. I, too, am looking forward to the Kay Francis movies, a number of which I have not seen or recorded in earlier showings.

Best Wishes,

TalkieTime (DigaDo)

TrissyCat,

Your description indicates that your VHS/DVD Recorder does not have a tuner and so it has no threaded connections (termed "RF" inputs and outputs). These are the missing connections you mentioned in your post. The only recording your Recorder may manage is through "line in" connections. There will be "composite video," yellow RCA jacks for input and output; white and red audio RCA jacks for input and output; S-Video four pin circular jacks for input and output; "component video" red, green and blue RCA jacks for output only, and perhaps a HDMI flat plug for output only.

Your TV may or may not have inputs corresponding to those. Your TV will certainly have a threaded RF input connection.

Your cable box has outputs corresponding to those already described. You did not say if you have High Definition service through your cable box. In any event you will want to use the highest quality connection between your cable box and the TV. The HDMI connection (the flat cable) is the highest quality followed by component video (Red, Green and Blue) followed by S-Video (the round four pin cable). These two last named connections also require the audio white and red connections. Somewhat lesser quality will be the composite video yellow, again that connection requires the white and red audio; and below that in quality comes the threaded (RF) coax cable. Any of those connections may be used between the cable box and the TV. Be sure to note what cable box output directly feeds the TV input, say TV Input 1, 2, 3, Y/Pb/Pr, Composite, A/V1, AV2 , AV3 , HDMI, etc.

You must realize that your VHS/DVD Recorder is unable to record in High Definition no matter what hype is given in the literature or by a salesperson. All recorders must, by law, reduce the recording quality below that of High Definition.

Without a tuner, the Recorder will need to be enslaved to an output from the cable box. This will depend upon what cable box outputs are not being used to connect the cable box to your TV. I will guess that the cable box is connected to your TV with the "component" Red, Green and Blue plugs plus a pair of audio white and red plugs. That leaves other cable box output jacks open for use. If you have a S-Video cable you may connect the cable box S-Video output to a S-Video input on the Recorder. If that is the case you will also need to connect an audio set of white and red cable box outputs to the corresponding and adjacent white and red inputs on the Recorder. If you do not have a S-Video cable you may use the "composite" yellow cable box output to the yellow video input on your Recorder. Again, connect the white and red audio outputs from the cable box to the corresponding and adjacent white and red inputs on the Recorder. Be sure to note which Recorder input you use for this connection, say Recorder Input 1, 2, 3, etc.

The Recorder has various outputs. One of those outputs will be connected to a corresponding input on your TV. Your Recorder output choices are largely the same as the Recorder inputs, plus a set of "component video" red, green and blue outputs. Your choice will depend upon what unused cables you have and what unused inputs are found on your TV. Let's say that you have a "composite" cable set, yellow, white and red. Connect that yellow, white and red set of Recorder outputs to a corresponding and adjacent yellow, white and red inputs on your TV. Be sure to note which TV input you use for this connection, say TV Input 1, 2, 3, Y/Pb/Pr, AV1, AV2, AV3, HDMI, etc.

These are the primary operational connections.

In order to view cable box output on your TV (without recording the program) you will select on your TV remote the input connection that is fed directly to the TV by the cable box as noted before.

In order to record from the cable box you will select on your Recorder remote the input connection that is fed directly to the Recorder by the cable box as noted before. On the TV remote you will select the input connection that is fed directly from the Recorder to the TV as noted before.

For audio feed to your stereo system you will need to connect white and red audio connections to an input on your stereo receiver. Your cable box may not have an open set of audio white and red output jacks. If not, use an open audio set of white and red jacks on the Recorder. If not, use an open set of audio white and red outputs on your TV. If none of these white and red audio connections are open you may need to purchase two RCA "Y" cable adapters, found at Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. These inexpensive "Y" cables turn any single RCA jack into two jacks. The Radio Shack item number is PH62103, catalog #55020958 priced at $3.95 each. Wherever you insert these "Y" cable adapters that device will have to be powered on and it must be set to receive the signal from its input source in order to provide an active output to the stereo system.

Since your Recorder does not have a tuner you will not be able to record one channel while watching another unless you have a second tuning device connected to your Recorder. That might be a second cable box or a coupon eligible converter box for antenna reception of digital broadcast stations ($10 to $30 with coupon) or another tuner such as the Samsung H260F (around $180).

*I Feel Your Pain....!"

It should not be hard to hook up a extra component to a system.

A lot depends on your cable box and what outputs they were good enough to put on it, For example my sat receiver has two sets of RCAs (Red, Yellow, White,) out one goes directly to the dvd recorder, other goes to my switch box and to my tv, with the audio being sent directly from the sat receiver to the optical input of my surround sound system, The only Output I use on the dvd recorder is the video out to the switch and then the tv, so I can see what I'm doing to run the menus and ad titles and finalize the disc, ect. As I actually watch DVD through the built in dvd player in the surround system receiver .

Also make sure what input your tv is set to using,Ie, s-video, coaxial ect, I use s-video in mine, and feed as much of the video signal through s-video as it the best connection I have in my set-up

As for a Audio/Video switch, here is a link to the page from the Radio Shack site listing A/V switches, you can get the idea from there, I use one Although not from Radio Shack, I got mine from Walmart, At least you'll know what to look for. generally, A four input switch should do most folks fine, especially if they have one in the front, which is nice to plug something like a PS2/3 into once in a while.

Also please go back over my post from Aug. 29th, Hopefully this will help too.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email off list.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=a/v%20switch&origkw=a/v%20switch&sr=1

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

As for a Audio/Video switch, here is a link to the page from the Radio Shack site listing A/V switches, you can get the idea from there, I use one Although not from Radio Shack, I got mine from Walmart, At least you'll know what to look for. generally, A four input switch should do most folks fine, especially if they have one in the front, which is nice to plug something like a PS2/3 into once in a while.

Also please go back over my post from Aug. 29th, Hopefully this will help too.

If you h ave any more questions please feel free to email off list.

Apparently when I put up the post it dropped a section out of the 2nd paragraph I think I figured out what got dropped if you have any questions let me know.

Hi,

I hate all these new connectors that have been invented within the past ten years. The average consumer has a lot of trouble trying to hook up this stuff, and it?s turning out that ?the average consumer? is EVERYONE on the face of the earth.

Generally speaking, your cable box should be your main ?tuner? that receives the different channels.

Here are some links to your unit. Maybe someone here can help you:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=audiovideo&type=dvdplayers&subtype=recordable&model_cd=DVD-VR375/XAA&fullspec=F

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/features.do?group=audiovideo&type=dvdplayers&subtype=recordable&model_cd=DVD-VR375/XAA

Here is the cable connections set-up for your unit:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200803/20080306170142015_01614A-VR375-XAA-ENG-QG.pdf

Seems to me that you should go from your cable box with a red, yellow, and white cable and plug that into your unit. That will bring the signal into your unit and you must use the cable box for selecting what program channel to view.

Then you use a second set of red, yellow, and white cables to go from your unit to your TV.

>My guys that set up my new system, said the new DVD recorder did not have the same outputs or inputs,

If your VHS and DVD are combined in one unit, you wouldn?t have separate inputs or outputs.

>When setting Timer Recordings, I have to set the systerm to VR1 (vs VR2 or TV or Channel 3). It makes NO difference what I type in, such as "Record from Channel 55", my cable box has to be set to the channel that I want to record from, or I get no signal, therefore NO recording. I think it has to do with the cable box.

Looks like your VCR/DVD has no "tuner" in it, so you must make all your channel selections with your cable box.

Fred,

Your observation describes the learning experience that we and others have been through:

"The average consumer has a lot of trouble trying to hook up this stuff, and it?s turning out that 'the average consumer' is EVERYONE on the face of the earth."

The first post in this linked thread is a "rah! rah!" for Panasonic owners to keep their great old machines maintained and functional:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1059522

Posts three and four in the linked thread have a "simplified description" of my home recording set-up. (In post three see the last attached photo for a view of pktrekgirl's Errol and Olivia wallpaper in use on my main computer.)

All too often I have "senior moments" where my own home office set-up confuses me with the complex interconnections and switching devices between three Panasonics, one Toshiba, one Philips and two TVs. In post five in the linked thread the photo shows connections for the recorders in my home office. (In my bedroom the set-up is simpler, see photo two in post three, but that photo does not show two antennas, one TV and a Zenith CECB.)

For infrequently used procedures I have a hand mirror to view the complex interconnections at the rear of the several machines in my home office. Now, where did I put that hand mirror? I know, I know, don't PANIC!

I too have a hand mirror and a flashlight.

I think there should be an international law that says there can be no electronic plugs in the REAR of electronic gear. All plugs should be in the front. I know that all the wires would look ugly, but at least we could see which wire is which and where it goes.

TalkieTime,

first, I apologize for my tardiness in getting back to you. I did receive and read your response at the other forum and read the related threads as well, some even prior to your posting the links. Thank you so much for your advice, as always, for I am going to refer back to it the next time something comes up.

As to how I finally resolved the last issue I had with the machine constantly "reloading itself" or "self-testing", whatever you call it, I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and that seemed to do the trick. Everything has worked fine since. I hope it will continue to do so, at least for a while.

When I was doing all my research (and pestering you, here) into purchasing my first dvd recorder, I wrote down the model numbers you referred to as having the best track record, but unfortunately I either could not find a reasonably priced one or they were unavailable, always something so I went on to the next Panasonic model that seemed to have most positive reviews (at that time) from various website. Lo and behold, all the bugaboos people have been complaining of have surfaced since my purchase. Since this last glich was the first problem I've had, I will remain

optimistic that I don't have a complete dud on my hands. I do agree, however, it has several idiosyncracies that are REALLY annoying, like the tedious delay when you first turn it on to when it actually becomes functional. I have never seen anything like that before and it has made recording "on the spot" rather a pain.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. Same for all who contribute here, I love this thread, it's very useful.

TalkieTime, I read your posts in the AVS forum, and found them very informative. I thought it was odd that I hadn't been seeing any Panny HD recorders available in stores lately, or online. I have 2 hard drive recorders {a Panny and a Pioneer} and a single disc Panny recorder. I'm concerned that hard drive recorders are going to disappear, down the road. What would the alternatives be for burning recorded material to DVD-R? I'm not that familiar with DVR's, but I get the impression that you can't burn to disc with them.

Cpc91156,

All my home recording in recent years has had as its signal source a Comcast supplied Motorola digital cable box, a direct Comcast coaxial cable feed, or over the air (OTA) reception of digital or analog broadcast stations.

Due to Digital Rights Management (DRM) one may run into restrictions or prohibitions now or in the future when attempting to copy to DVD material recorded on DVRs provided by cable or satellite services. I mentioned these matters, without going into real detail, in two 3/18/08 posts in this thread.

I have no personal experience with DVRs. Comprehensive and informed discussion of this topic may be found in the AVS Forum, most likely in these or related HDTV threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=42

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Revised to add a second link

I have a older Dish network DVR and a Sylvania DVD Recorder, Its a single disc unit, Just like a VCR only it uses Blank DVDs. As I mentioned in a earlier post this week, My DVR has 2 sets of RCA jacks out the back along with S-video, along with a optical out that I have hooked directly to the optical in on my surround sound system.

As for my DVD recorder working. I haven't had any problems I have used the timer on the recorder conjunction with the timers on the DVR to record stuff overnight directly to the DVD. Of course that means going into the menu and setting the clock on the recorder and playing with the DVR auto-tune so it changes to the right channel at the right time. too.

As for the issue of DRM, I haven't run into it yet.. However, I fear that over the next few years and next generations of equipment it will become a major issue in all ares of consumer electronics in everything from music, to movies, to eventually broadcast flags on material, with the coming digital transition next February it will become easier to implement broadcast DRM schemes.

This is a serious issue which few people even know about and even fewer people understand,

If you'd like more information and views on this click on my profile and go back over some of my older post and check out my blog, a link to my blog should be there too.

As for the issue of DRM, I haven't run into it yet.. However, I fear that over the next few years and next generations of equipment it will become a major issue in all ares of consumer electronics in everything from music, to movies, to eventually broadcast flags on material, with the coming digital transition next February it will become easier to implement broadcast DRM schemes.

This is a serious issue which few people even know about and even fewer people understand,

If you'd like more information and views on this click on my profile and go back over some of my older post and check out my blog, a link to my blog should be there too.

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

MissGoddess,

You've never "pestered" me. With other matters occupying my attention I don't visit TCM or SSO as often as I should so I'm the one slow to respond.

I've been pleased to help where I may or even just offer reassurance. I'm reminded of the scene in (Monty Python's) The Meaning of Life where one of the soldier's legs had been bit off by a wild animal during the night. The doctor is summoned. His observation, "that is a nasty bite, isn't it?" The soldier asks "what should I do?" The doctor responds "Favor the other leg." The solder says "that's reassuring." The doctor counsels "That's what I'm here for--to offer reassurance."

Among the bugs found in some EZ series Panasonics are these:

1-The Midnight Bug, first variation. Be sure that a recordable disc is in place before midnight if there are any recordings scheduled--even if the recordings are days away. If no recordable disc is in place the machine it may lock-up. With a combo recorder the remedy is inserting a VHS tape to bring the machine back to life. Other possible remedies, press the disc tray open/close button, press the reset button or disconnect the power cord for a minute or so. Don't leave a VHS tape in the machine overnight, you may not be able to easily regain control of the machine.

2-The Midnight Bug, second variation. Some early a.m. scheduled recordings may be skipped. The remedy, schedule a brief recording from 11:59 p.m. to 12:01 a.m. ahead of the scheduled early morning recording in order to break The Midnight Bug.

3-Recurring Program Bug. Avoid scheduling recurring programs, e.g. every Tuesday or Monday-Friday. Scheduling in this manner may be unreliable. Use only actual dates when scheduling recordings.

There are other workarounds but they escape me right now as I'm having a senior moment.

TalkieTime

The Midnight Bug, first variation. Be sure that a recordable disc is in place before midnight if there are any recordings scheduled--even if the recordings are days away. If no recordable disc is in place the machine it may lock-up. With a combo recorder the remedy is inserting a VHS tape to bring the machine back to life. Other possible remedies, press the disc tray open/close button, press the reset button or disconnect the power cord for a minute or so. Don't leave a VHS tape in the machine overnight, you may not be able to easily regain control of the machine.

WOW! That sounds, not like a Monty Python, but an Ed Wood sci-fi horror movie! :PThe Midnight

Bug terrorizes young dvd recorder-er and seizes control of her machine....

So far none of these problems have occurred and I've made several wee-hours programming

efforts. If it does occur, I know where to turn! Thanks again, TT!

Hi Birdy, It's really simple, just take your a/v cables (the three color-coded one) and plug one end in the output jacks on your VCR and plug the other end into the input jacks on the DVD recorder. If you plug them into the back, set your input source button on your remote to "input 1" and if you plugged into the front it should be "input 2". Depending on the brand it might be called something else like "video 1" and "video 2", but you should be able to figure it out.

You didn't say what kind of VHS tapes you wanted to copy so be aware that most commercially released tapes are copy-guarded and you won't be able to copy them. If you want to copy something you taped off of TV you won't have a problem.

A couple of other things. When you buy blank discs to record on, remember there are two different formats, DVD-R and DVD+R and these are not compatable so make sure you know what kind your recorder uses.

Unlike tape there is an extra step involved in the recording process. It's called "finalizing" it allows the discs to be played on other players. If you don't finalize it you'll only be able to play it on the machine it was recorded on. Now, you might say that you won't be using any other player, but keep in mind that if your recorder ever dies you won't be able to play any of the recordings you made on a new one. So it's important to finalize all of them. I know a guy who never did, and when his recorder crashed he had over 600 movies he couldn't watch anymore.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a private message.

Mark

From TrissyCat, to everybody that gave me advice......... THANK YOU ! I have not been online since I posted my problem, so I did not want you all to think that I was unappreciative. I am going to copy and paste all of the information, and print it out to give to my helpful friends at home. I do not like dealing with all of that stuff and if two guys and one computer programmer cannot fix it, then it all goes to prove that these DVD/VHS Recorders are too complicated.

Suddenly, my VCR/TV button is not working on my remote control for my Panasonic DVD Recorder. So basically the tuner is on, I can change channels, switch from DVD to VHS mode, play videos and hear the sound, but I can't see any picture except whatever is on my regular TV (an analog set). It's as if the machine is no longer connected to the TV. Anyone have any ideas what happened?

Scsu1975,

While I have several Panasonic DVD recorders and combo recorders none of my remotes have a VCR/TV button, nor have I encountered the problem you describe.

The best place to ask such an operational question and find a prompt response is the DVD Recorder area at the AVS Forum. I suggest that you visit AVS and use the search function to find if the problem and the solution has been addressed. If the problem has not been addressed submit a post. Be sure to identify your model number and include a detailed description of the problem. The AVS DVD Recorder Forum is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised your remotes don't have a VCR/TV button ... I've never seen a remote that didn't have one. In any event, this machine has had several odd things happen to it in the years since I've gotten it, including the inability to program in advance for VHS recordings, although programming in advance for the DVR side works just fine. Now I see the display is blank with the power off, so the clock is not displayed (although that has happened before). It may be time to get another model. But then I assume I can't use another machine to finalize a few disks I have, even if it's another Panasonic?

I think you can finalize with a different Panasonic, but I'm not sure.

Try unplugging the machine for several minutes.

Mine acts up all the time, does all sorts of weird things.

Sometimes I can't see the incoming satellite picture while I'm in the VHS mode, but only in the DVD mode. Then later I can see it in the VHS mode too.

Check your input-select modes. You might have accidentally hit that button and you might have changed the VHS/DVD input mode from TV, Input 1, Input 2, etc.

Scsu1975,

I stand corrected. One of my 2006 combo recorder remotes does have a VCR/TV button, but I have never had an occasion to use that button. The Operating Instructions mentions this button within a context of setting the RF output channel from channel 3 to 4 (DMR-ES35V Operating Instructions, p. 21). Might this have something to do with the problem?

One AVS or CD Freaks poster mentioned an older Panasonic's scheduled recording failure when programs were scheduled in more than one format, VHS, DVD or HDD. None of the scheduled programs overlapped. The problem was resolved by scheduling only in a single format.

It is my experience that all my 2005, 2006 and 2007 model Panasonics, with one exception, will finalize DVDs recorded on any of my other Panasonics.

The exception is the DMR-ES40V combo recorder model (from 2005). This is a bug-laden model that has many design flaws. After it was about three months old it would fail during the finalization process, ruining the disc. From that time forward all of the DVDs recorded on this machine have been finalized on other model Panasonics. This machine, after it had been used a few months spent the better part of two years in its original box stored in a closet. It has had but 355 recording hours since new. In the last year it was returned to service as the VHS/DVD player (at $269.99 a very expensive player) on the family TV set.

Since I have not experienced the original problem you described I am unable to address it. Be sure to visit the AVS Forum.

Message was edited by: talkietime

Thanks, I'd already tried the unplugging thing and no dice. The input select mode is correct, because the display on the machine shows the cable channel, and I can move the channels up and down, get the sounds for each, so the tuner is working. I can play tapes and DVDs and get the sound. But the machine is stuck on TV mode, which means I can't view the tapes/dvds and cable channels ... just channels 2-13, as if the machine were not even connected.

talkietime, thanks, I did find that post in avs already. My guess is that the VCR/TV button is simply not working - perhaps it's worn out. And since I can't get a display on the screen, I can't fix any other problems that are occurring. Unfortunately, there is no VCR/TV button on the machine, or else I'd probably have this fixed already.